Jump to content

Stirrup Cay Haven Area


dsarge390
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello, Critics..

 

We depart on the 14 day out of NY on the Escape, Feb. 3rd.  Does anyone know if the Haven area on Great Stirrup Cay is completed yet? It appears to have cabanas and a lagoon, but I'm not sure of that. I could not find any videos or info. If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dsarge390 said:

Hello, Critics..

 

We depart on the 14 day out of NY on the Escape, Feb. 3rd.  Does anyone know if the Haven area on Great Stirrup Cay is completed yet? It appears to have cabanas and a lagoon, but I'm not sure of that. I could not find any videos or info. If anyone has any insight, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

 

No, it is not done per recent reports.

 

There is an active thread here with some responses from the last couple days that may have more info on timing but I don't think the general public really knows when it will be done.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's what you do when you have Haven access at GSC.

 

You get off the ship at your leisure.    You walk around a little bit.    You find your loungers, sit there a few minutes and say to your spouse........."It's a lot nicer in the Haven on the ship!"

 

Then you pack up your things and go spend the rest of the day in the Haven.    Slowly the Haven will fill up with everyone else thinking the exact same thing.

 

GSC is not the beach day you envision or the island it used to be.    It's really crowded since they've now blocked off most of the island keeping the cruisers on one end of the island.    The hurricanes over the last decade have ruined the beach and all the sand on the island.   Its a rough, rocky, hard coral.    

 

Enjoy better beach days at other ports along your cruise.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

Here's what you do when you have Haven access at GSC.

 

You get off the ship at your leisure.    You walk around a little bit.    You find your loungers, sit there a few minutes and say to your spouse........."It's a lot nicer in the Haven on the ship!"

 

Then you pack up your things and go spend the rest of the day in the Haven.    Slowly the Haven will fill up with everyone else thinking the exact same thing.

 

GSC is not the beach day you envision or the island it used to be.    It's really crowded since they've now blocked off most of the island keeping the cruisers on one end of the island.    The hurricanes over the last decade have ruined the beach and all the sand on the island.   Its a rough, rocky, hard coral.   

 

 

OMG this was very funny.

I guess I'll plan on spending a very quick day on the beach!

 

Although it is quite sad in many other aspects too. at least you did not sugar coat it!👍

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't really care what it looks like--it sure didn't look like much a number of years ago when I first went there! It's just nice to get off the ship for a few hours and be on sand and swim in the ocean. I'm not a person to lie in the sun for a long time., so a couple of beverages, some lunch, a walk-about, a swim and a bit of sunning and I'm ready for the ship again! I'm just glad they have a place like that to visit!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Vyhanek said:

GSC is not the beach day you envision or the island it used to be.    It's really crowded since they've now blocked off most of the island keeping the cruisers on one end of the island.    

They blocked of a tiny piece of the beach directly in front of the Haven cabanas. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I was there a couple of years ago, and enjoyed the island. It is nice to get off of the ship and feel the sand on your feet. I was Just asking about the Haven area because I heard they were building an exclusive spot, and was wondering if it was ready. 

 Vyhanek can stay on the ship, I'll be hanging with people on the beach.

 Crowded beach? I'm from Jersey, all we know are crowded beaches and traffic. If I'm going to be on a crowded beach, it might as well be in the Caribbean in Feb....

 

Hey Greenpea2. I work in Springfield....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Kalum said:

Is it for everyone Or just haven (just haven seems to be too good) 

 

From what I've read....

 

"The new Lagoon Retreat is an exclusive area for "The Haven" and all suite cruise passengers, and also for passengers with purchased on-land Mandara Spa treatments. A limited number of passes for all passengers are available for purchasing on each NCL Bahamas cruise with Great Stirrup Cay."

 

...so non-Haven guests can use this particular area if purchasing a spa treatment or perhaps purchasing a pass. I don't know if Villa rental is open to all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had heard while we were there that a lot of this area will be set up like an all inclusive resort.  You actually stay over night (or multiple nights) on GSC.  Not sure where or how the haven area will be integrated or how transportation for the overnight guests will work.....

 

Really curious to see how it all ends up working!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 3:38 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

 

From what I've read....

 

"The new Lagoon Retreat is an exclusive area for "The Haven" and all suite cruise passengers, and also for passengers with purchased on-land Mandara Spa treatments. A limited number of passes for all passengers are available for purchasing on each NCL Bahamas cruise with Great Stirrup Cay."

 

...so non-Haven guests can use this particular area if purchasing a spa treatment or perhaps purchasing a pass. I don't know if Villa rental is open to all.

 

"Oceanview Villas at Silver Cove" are now available for online booking. I have confirmed with Shorex that these are only available for those booked in Haven or Suite cabins. (Shown is the pricing for Thanksgiving week 2019 on Breakaway - pricing does vary. :))

 

image.png.fa165722a1989a3407b73a8ab2ba5c71.png

Edited by Wendy&Grumpy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just booked the Oceanview Villa at Silver Cove for our Breakaway cruise in February, and we are not in a suite.  It was the same price that Wendy&Grumpy paid above.  I read an article somewhere online that said a small number would be available for non-suite/haven guests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wendy&Grumpy said:

 

"Oceanview Villas at Silver Cove" are now available for online booking. I have confirmed with Shorex that these are only available for those booked in Haven or Suite cabins. (Shown is the pricing for Thanksgiving week 2019 on Breakaway - pricing does vary. :))

 

image.png.fa165722a1989a3407b73a8ab2ba5c71.png

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

 

Now...the big (1st world) question. Large cabana vs private villa? 

Swimming on the beach is such a big thing for my son...it looks like the villa beach area is really rocky and not great water. 

Any thoughts on the beach, and if you or any posters have has the experience, which would you choose....

Thanks - Amy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, amygutman said:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

 

Now...the big (1st world) question. Large cabana vs private villa? 

Swimming on the beach is such a big thing for my son...it looks like the villa beach area is really rocky and not great water. 

Any thoughts on the beach, and if you or any posters have has the experience, which would you choose....

Thanks - Amy

 

 The villa beach area is much nicer than the cabana beaches! 

20190503_081431.jpg

20190503_081507.jpg

20190503_081632.jpg

20190503_081647.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome WendyandGrumpy!!!

 

I just posted a forum to see if I can glean any other info...

It looks wonderful and have loved your photos - think I am going to cancel the large cabana and go with the villa - you are certainly convincing!

Honestly...not sharing a bathroom and shower in and of itself is wonderful!

Now you've given me happy thoughts on the way to work tonight!!!

Amy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just returned from here and enjoyed our day in the general area.  It wasn’t crowded and with Haven priority exit, we got a bunch of chairs in a shady area near bar and taco restaurant with a nice view of the water.  The Haven/villa area is a FAR walk! It looks very nice though and that area of the beach is much quieter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, Wendy&Grumpy said:

 

"Oceanview Villas at Silver Cove" are now available for online booking. I have confirmed with Shorex that these are only available for those booked in Haven or Suite cabins. (Shown is the pricing for Thanksgiving week 2019 on Breakaway - pricing does vary. :))

 

image.png.fa165722a1989a3407b73a8ab2ba5c71.png

 

On 6/6/2019 at 2:30 PM, albertamom said:

I just booked the Oceanview Villa at Silver Cove for our Breakaway cruise in February, and we are not in a suite.  It was the same price that Wendy&Grumpy paid above.  I read an article somewhere online that said a small number would be available for non-suite/haven guests.

 

The Oceanview Villa is available to book and we are not in a suite or Haven. The price is significantly different though and way out of my comfort zone.

 

 

GSC.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Because_I_Said said:

 

 

The Oceanview Villa is available to book and we are not in a suite or Haven. The price is significantly different though and way out of my comfort zone.

 

 

GSC.jpg

 

Only one of you needs to book and pay for it (so $599 will cover all 3 of you).  Your picture has a check-mark beside each of your names, so I just wanted to be sure that you knew that.  :classic_smile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, albertamom said:

 

Only one of you needs to book and pay for it (so $599 will cover all 3 of you).  Your picture has a check-mark beside each of your names, so I just wanted to be sure that you knew that.  :classic_smile:

 

I did not so that is great to know. Thanks! And now that you  mention it, I finally see the spot on the description that actually says that. Doh!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Because_I_Said said:

 

I did not so that is great to know. Thanks! And now that you  mention it, I finally see the spot on the description that actually says that. Doh!

Great!  It makes a huge difference!  :classic_biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Holland America Line’s Alaska Exploration Sale
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...