SHORTS IN MDR

Cruisegirl6

Tell him it's cold inside the ship!

The only time I have seen people turned away is on "elegant" night on some ships.

It appears that the dress code is not equally enforced on all ships.

It's interesting the an elderly person would not want to wear long pants as they are usually cold and want to wear warmer clothing.

• Like 1

You just opened a can of worms.

There will be a bunch of people absolutely offended beyond belief that you would do such a thing. "In my day (when cruising was exclusively a luxury vacation), people would dress to the T!" Now people wear shorts in the dining room!

You can wear shorts. Elegant night, you are not supposed to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The dress code states that "dress shorts" are permitted on non-elegant evenings.  By this, they mean anything that is not an athletic short (basketball, workout, etc.).  On elegant evening, short are not permitted according to the dress code.

• Like 1

Riffatsea- he has spent most of his lifetime in NY with snow, ice and sleet.  He got used to wearing shorts and is never cold in his legs, he can wear a sweatshirt and still wear shorts and be all good....my son is the same way, my son lived in south Florida for 30 years just moved a year and half ago to North Carolina where it is very cold and they get snow and he took pictures of him and my grandsons playing in the snow, he had a jacket on but shorts!!:classic_ohmy:  My other half also from NY and still wears shorts but now in the winter months here in north Florida his blood thinned out and he wears pants on cold nights.  Odd very odd.

Joebucks- Its a cheap cruise, the Elation only for 5 nights, they even don't serve lobster on the short cruises!!  I haven't cruised on Carnival in 3 years or more, been on the RC Oasis class ships so I know things have changed since then.  But my last Carnival cruises I found it very offensive for men to wear hats/caps and they got away with it, at least wearing shorts your sitting down at a table and nobody sees your legs they are under the table.  I been cruising since 1973 and so far I been on 90 cruises, I remember exactly what you mean in the day cruising was a luxury vacation, where the waiters wore white towels on their arms, and food was so deliciouss, elegant and excellent, you would board the ship and they have live entertainment right away, things have changed so much but even up until the 1990's people were still dressing formal, I know I was wearing long gowns on formal evenings....times have changed, but if I want to go on a luxury cruse, there are other cruise lines such as Oceania, Seaborne, Crystal and such, a bit too stuffy for me at least this time in my life, not going to say I never will try it.

Honestly, not having lobster on elegant night sure shows me how casual cruises have gotten and in my opinion, you dress for what you get. :classic_sleep:

Edited by Cruisegirl6

31 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

but my elderly father in law hates pants lol.

Not only an absurd statement but what is LOL about it?  we lived in Florida for years and many fine dining restaurants do not allow shorts. We lived in South Florida for years and it can be quite cold at times. Just follow the rules, it's not too hard and you put on shorts the same way you put on pants, one leg at a time

• Like 1

You can basically wear whatever you want to the MDR any night of the cruise.  It has been at least a few years now since I have seen anyone turned away from the MDR. On our latest cruise on Miracle a few weeks ago, there were numerous people wearing shorts, jeans and hats on both elegant nights.  

52 minutes ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

Honestly, not having lobster on elegant night sure shows me how casual cruises have gotten and in my opinion, you dress for what you get. :classic_sleep:

No more lobster on elegant nights on shorter cruises was a financial decision.  It had nothing to do with how passengers were dressed on elegant nights. 

I guess your question is answered but to confirm, I wear shorts and sandals every night except elegant night (I wear jeans and a polo then). I have never once been cold on a cruise ship but we cruise during the summer. Your dad will be fine and you both enjoy your cruise!

23 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You can basically wear whatever you want to the MDR any night of the cruise.  It has been at least a few years now since I have seen anyone turned away from the MDR. On our latest cruise on Miracle a few weeks ago, there were numerous people wearing shorts, jeans and hats on both elegant nights.  

I really hate hats in the MDR.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have seen people turned away wearing shorts on cruise elegant this year on Horizon and Vista.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruisegirl6 said:

I can see that happening on the larger newer ships and being a week long cruise, I am going on the Elation, the fantasy class. 

So since I'm going on Fascination, does that mean more leeway with the dress code?  I just don't know how I'm supposed to pack clothes for 7 days that are casual for the island, dressier for dinner each night and then super dressy for the 2 elegant nights!! UGH!!

9 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t doubt you, but you cruise enough to know that is now the exception, and not the norm on Carnival. 

Agree (but wish it was no so), was just trying to let the quoted poster know it does happen.

Crazy4camping- And don't forget to keep that 50 pound weight limit for your luggage for the airlines.  Cruising is not the way it used to be, go and dress the way you like.  I can wear capri pants and a top with flip flops and be just fine and get into the dining room even on elegant night.  I been on 9 cruises the past 3 years, on elegant night you see people dressing all different ways and we don't change the way we dress and never feel out of place.  My other half wears pants and a shirt then after dinner goes back to his room to change back into shorts, he can get away with 2 pairs of pants for a weeks cruise.  Yes, there is more leeway with shorter cruises and going on Carnival as carnival is more a relaxed laid back cruise, but even RC is now leaning more casual too. I have never seen people turned away as long as they aren't in tank tops although I seen women getting away with it.  The longer cruises, its more enforced.  

Thanks everybody!

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 3:42 PM, shoptom said:

I'm just off the Breeze and shorts with flip flops were common in the dining room.  So was no shirt or shoes at the buffet!

On the Fantasy, they would not even let me walk through the buffet area with no shirt to get ice cream.