Cabin upgrades when using a TA

zitsky

I see several people talk about cabin upgrades but I've never been offered one or suggested I try to get one.  On NCL they were very aggressive in offering upgrades.  I didn't do it because I liked my cabin.  I think my cruise is fully booked.  Maybe that's why I've never seen an upgrade offer?

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

I see several people talk about cabin upgrades but I've never been offered one or suggested I try to get one.  On NCL they were very aggressive in offering upgrades.  I didn't do it because I liked my cabin.  I think my cruise is fully booked.  Maybe that's why I've never seen an upgrade offer?

Viking cruises are mostly fully booked. The reason we got an upgrade was because we were doing the West Indies cruise in the spring after the devastating hurricanes last year.   Many people cancelled or didn’t book because the condition of many of the islands wasn’t good. 

We left from San Juan and they were still having issues with water and electricity.  We were lucky to get a hotel in old San Juan that had little damage and their own generator. Many hotels were booked up with FEMA workers. 

It’s rare for a Viking ship to not be fully booked way before the cruise. It does happen but not too often. 

The workings of the upgrade fairy are shrouded in mystery. There seems to be no criterion for offering an upgrade, complimentary or otherwise--not how many cruises you have been on, not whether you use a TA or book direct, not any other measure I can think of.

• Like 1