Carnival put me on a flight that gets me arriving the date of cruise at 12:02 p.m. my only other option was getting to the airport at 1 a.m. and having to hang around until at least 10 a.m. for them to pick me up. The cruise says to me they will do everything possible to get me on the ship on time. The question is should I trust this or ask them to switch the flight and have that dreaded wait in the airport

I'm confused.  CARNIVAL arranged your airfare, yes?  So the question is really for Carnival.  And if it's a 'best efforts' answer rather than a 'written guarantee that they'll hold the ship' answer, I would NEVER have scheduled landing at noon for a 4p departure which you MUST be onboard for by 3p, if memory serves.

Many folks fly in first thing.  Many insist on coming the night before.  But few tempt fate like your itinerary suggests.  This isn't a land vacation.  The ship leaves without you.

You should still be fine.... I would be more concerned with a 2 or 3pm arrival time. Question... Is there a reason you didn't book air on your own?? You could have scheduled a flight the night before and spent a relaxing evening at hotel before cruise. 

In about 90% of cases, you should be fine. You have a little buffer there. The wild card is those few instances where something goes wrong. Like right now with all of the winter storms, planes can be delayed or cancelled.

I'd be curious to know what kind of guarantee Carnival has for flights purchased through them. I would assume there's something. While I've never had a plane delayed that long that would cost me my cruise, I'd rather not risk it. I always fly in the night before (or two). Those extra days in the hotel are part of the vacation!

Actually, you had one more option which would have been to book your own flight and fly in the day before. Or have Carnival book your flight the day before. This is always the better option anyway because then you have some leeway in case of delayed or cancelled flights. If you do choose to stick with flying in the same day, make sure you have your passport in case you end up having to fly to the first port to catch up to the ship. 

4 hours ago, ryanwinkel said:

my only other option was getting to the airport at 1 a.m. and having to hang around until at least 10 a.m.

get a cheap room and relax, no reason to wait at the airport. Like others said, why would you let Carnival book your flights? Did they pick your seats too? 

Carival gave me the seats I wanted. I did go ahead and move my flight to the day before. The guarantee was that if my plain was delayed they would cover my flight and hotel to the next port to catch up. I already changed flight and got a hotel reserved.

Thanks everyone. getting there with just a few hours to spare was kind of weighing heavy on my shoulders.

18 minutes ago, ryanwinkel said:

The guarantee was that if my plain was delayed they would cover my flight and hotel to the next port to catch up.

This might require a passport if your next port is a foreign port. 

As some others have stated, you will probably be OK with a noon time flight arrival and Carnival transport to the port. You don't say what port you are departing from and what airport you're flying in to and that could make a difference.

I think you made a wise choice OP.  Many folks insist on arriving no later than the evening before departure.  That's what we typically do.  It gives one the overnight hours for things like mechanical delays, etc.  And it doesn't normally require an extra travel day.  We routinely leave on a late afternoon or early evening flight one day before the cruise.  In fact last May we traveled all the way from Chicago to Anchorage on a Friday night for a Saturday sailing.  Others travel on the first flight the morning of the cruise.  But I'd guess few push arrival to anything approaching 2-3 hours prior to final boarding, especially if a connection is involved.  Enjoy your cruise.