VTcruising Is Living On The Edge Again: The LIVE Saga Continues (1/20/19)

vtcruising

29 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Katie, I hope things get better soon. Are you on an upper deck? For next year, I've booked an aft for the first time (deck 10). Now I'm wondering if I should rethink my cabin selection. - Michelle

We were only in 11268 for 3 nights but never had an issue - hopefully this is unusual. So glad they didn't cancel the port!

• Like 1

Here are some pictures from Maya Chan - we will do the Western Carib again just to do this again. We will be talking about this day for a long time.... 🙂

The owner greeted us and said we have everything but snow here. We liked the sound of that! They have 2 dogs are who are part of the family - they were very cute. What a life!

image.thumb.png.de76ff64c74bbbcbc080f6b0e3858a81.png

image.thumb.png.098d23f3553275f981fe2a970fa2d06c.png

Each group gets a shaded area with reclining seats and a padded lounger, tables and a hammock.

image.thumb.png.b8f65feca477a076f46131b8ccb33215.png

enhance

image.thumb.png.e1a322b43ebf7022980e65686c033813.png

They have a full bar (all included) and we had people coming around constantly to see if we wanted more drinks (and they were good - the tequila is from a local producer). They brought us guac, salsa and chips and kept refreshing them until lunch. It was all freshly made - it was delicious.

enhance

image.thumb.png.860445d5c57a294509d087bc932ba1c0.png

They came and got us for our massages - so cool to hear the waves while having a wonderful massage! What a relaxing treat!

Lunch was also included. They grilled chicken, beef, pork and sea bass (all marinated deliciously) and had all of those with tacos (white and corn) and all the fixings. The fish had a garlic butter sauce and was so good and the pulled pork was the best I've ever had. Anyway, it was all very fresh and flavorful food.

image.thumb.png.66e0b55eae857cfc853c1f917e4d70e5.png

image.thumb.png.309733c0e72f7ff88ea18b6f8102f8d2.png

After lunch we all took naps (and I mean 3/4 of the people looked to be napping). Some people went out on rafts or kayaks. Others read in the 85 degree sun (and the drinks kept coming, if desired). Life was very good at Maya Chan!

image.png.80b17be3d8a3512c3d9ac4ba534d5c33.png

image.png.cbd476e770edf2733c8df9d49b104598.png

The owners' son helped us into the van back to the ship and thanked us for coming. What a day!!😎

Edited by vtcruising

39 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Sold! I will make it one heck of a birthday! 😊

Any time...we'd have a great time...

My special birthday non surprise is arriving tom,..so I hear.  Not sure if I should bring it on the ship...I usually only take costume jewelry but may take it  if I love it! 

Bought a nice of pair of matching earrings today...yay me!

Our Sailaway on Sunday may be rained on or too windy at Sunset Bar..the party alternate site is EDEN..but is there a corner or side we should tell everyone to look for?

59 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Ok I am sure I should know but what is the IV issue ?

Also do they have any plans to add some shade to the Sunset Bar area?

I'm afraid I have no idea what you are referring to regarding “IV issues”.  We were in a Sky suite.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:44 AM, vtcruising said:

Well, I have to say Grand Plaza was less mellow for part of the evening. The Reckless Charms played a set , which was great, but people were talking a lot. We were short some seats for everyone who wanted to be there (around 5:45-6:15). Service was still good - I must have been asked 4 times in 10 minutes if I needed a drink. In between sets of live music they did play annoying canned music that was moderate in loudness. We could have left to see good live music in the Club or RTG so didn't need to stay there, but it was close to our dinner reservation time so stayed. We did like the Martini Bar light and bartender show, which was loud, but lots of fun (about 6 minutes long). Later the duo and then the Reckless Charms were back for another great set so lots of good music there, but I think the Grand Plaza mellowness will depend upon the night. At least there are more choices now. 🙂 Will keep reporting back...

Thanks for the great commentary; you’ve answered a lot of questions for lots of people. Here’s mine:  How’s the dancing?  Is there a dance floor in the grand plaza, and is it used?  It looks from the daily you posted that the Club has dancing (ballroom?) for one hour at 8:30, but that unfortunately is the same time as our dinner reservations. Any other dance options?

1 hour ago, Oville said:

The tables are laminated wood.  If it cracks water gets in, swells and creates more cracks and so on...

Wonder who thought laminate would be a good idea on a balcony? Guess they will be replacing  those with something else as time goes on.

7 minutes ago, ecslady said:

Wonder who thought laminate would be a good idea on a balcony? Guess they will be replacing  those with something else as time goes on.

I was just thinking the same thing about the laminate, and guessing that all those table tops will probably have to be replaced within 3-6 months. Did anyone who was in a decision making position even ask about the durability of the items that were being suggested for the environment aboard a cruise ship?

Edited by C-Dragons

31 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I was just thinking the same thing about the laminate, and guessing that all those table tops will probably have to be replaced within 3-6 months. Did anyone who was in a decision making position even ask about the durability of the items that were being suggested for the environment aboard a cruise ship?

For many of the obvious  lapses, you could ask, did anyone think at all??

Did they measure? Did they test ?  Did they sit in the balc chairs, lo sofa, EDEN chairs?  Did they ever cruise other than as a VIP?

Bet they will pay more attention going forward.   To Xs credit, they are working fast to remedy what they can...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hcat said:

Did they measure? Did they test ?  Did they sit in the balc chairs, lo sofa, EDEN chairs?  Did they ever cruise other than as a VIP?

Bet they will pay more attention going forward.   To Xs credit, they are working fast to remedy what they can...

Yes, and think of how much better the Apex will be for it! 😁

It brings to mind the old builders mantra, “measure twice cut once”.

Edited by C-Dragons

38 minutes ago, hcat said:

The white cushions at the rooftop garden really got my attention. We were on the December 1st preview cruise and by the second day we already saw dirt and food stains. My first thought was, what were they thinking....

29 minutes ago, MVPinBoynton said:

But I don’t know how they can fix all the IV issues.  I hope they can. 

I think these will be fixed  quite easily...furniture that fits better..less clunky..  lightweight with footrest and a better table..re think the doors/ tracks.. and add drapes with sheers.  They have the money  just need better planners!

2 hours ago, J80crew said:

Thanks for the great commentary; you’ve answered a lot of questions for lots of people. Here’s mine:  How’s the dancing?  Is there a dance floor in the grand plaza, and is it used?  It looks from the daily you posted that the Club has dancing (ballroom?) for one hour at 8:30, but that unfortunately is the same time as our dinner reservations. Any other dance options?

We haven’t danced yet but have seen others dancing in Grand Plaza. I think there’s more room than on S Class in the 

Grand Foyer. They have had some dance events at the Club and at the Roof Top Garden. My DH has seen people dancing in Eden when there is music there.  I’ll keep an eye out for other options. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Any time...we'd have a great time...

My special birthday non surprise is arriving tom,..so I hear.  Not sure if I should bring it on the ship...I usually only take costume jewelry but may take it  if I love it! 

Bought a nice of pair of matching earrings today...yay me!

Our Sailaway on Sunday may be rained on or too windy at Sunset Bar..the party alternate site is EDEN..but is there a corner or side we should tell everyone to look for?

So exciting about your new baubles! You will look fantastic on Chic night!!

I would have people go to Eden 5 - there’s plenty of space around the bar and people can all gravitate to one space. It really worked well for our CC party yesterday. A great space!! 🙂

7 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

So exciting about your new baubles! You will look fantastic on Chic night!!

I would have people go to Eden 5 - there’s plenty of space around the bar and people can all gravitate to one space. It really worked well for our CC party yesterday. A great space!! 🙂

Thanks....I will let my roll call know!

1 hour ago, hcat said:

I think these will be fixed  quite easily...furniture that fits better..less clunky..  lightweight with footrest and a better table..re think the doors/ tracks.. and add drapes with sheers.  They have the money  just need better planners!

I wish it was that easy; but the two thicknesses of dirty tinted windows is a major negative. I also like the feeling of being outside, rather than being in a room with the window down.  

2 hours ago, Oville said:

And of course the IVs won’t be rained upon so the tables probably aren’t a problem.:classic_wacko:

That's true, because IVs really aren't balconies as we are used to, just a window that  can be lowered and controlled  by the Captain in inclement weather and whenever else he chooses.

5 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Katie, I hope things get better soon. Are you on an upper deck? For next year, I've booked an aft for the first time (deck 10). Now I'm wondering if I should rethink my cabin selection. - Michelle

Michelle, your cruise is in the Med, so you should be just fine...deck 10...it was all over the ship!:classic_cool:

3 hours ago, ecslady said:

The round table/tray on my IV also had a small dent/chip on the Dec 16th sailing. I knew then that they will need to be replaced in less then a year. I also noticed the soot stains on the white cushions at the RTG. 

IMG_20181219_095743156.jpg

Vtcruising......really enjoying your commentary, and so glad to hear about the changes that are being made in response to customer feedback!!!  Question for you....Your day at Maya Chan...was that an excursion booked through Celebrity or was it something you booked on your own?  

29 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The round table/tray on my IV also had a small dent/chip on the Dec 16th sailing. I knew then that they will need to be replaced in less then a year. I also noticed the soot stains on the white cushions at the RTG. 

I noticed the stains on the RTG on the Dec 9th cruise. Nice looking cushions, but so not practical for the space IMO. 

Edited by ecslady

3 hours ago, mari10 said:

The white cushions at the rooftop garden really got my attention. We were on the December 1st preview cruise and by the second day we already saw dirt and food stains. My first thought was, what were they thinking....

We were on the Edge Inaugural, Dec. 9th. One day we had lunch in the Oceanview Cafe. The cushions on the chairs in the section where we were eating were blue. There was a couple at a table next to us who complained to a server that there were stains on the cushions.

It doesn’t make any difference what color seat cushions are unless they are black... stains will show.