zitsky

Florence/Tuscany winery tour

Found nothing on a search, strange.

Has anyone done a private winery tour while at Florence/Tuscany? (Mediterranean Odyssey).  I have been to Florence, Pisa and Siena before and would like to do something different.

I believe the port is Livorno?

Edited by zitsky

On 1/19/2019 at 8:18 AM, zitsky said:

Found nothing on a search, strange.

Has anyone done a private winery tour while at Florence/Tuscany? (Mediterranean Odyssey).  I have been to Florence, Pisa and Siena before and would like to do something different.

I believe the port is Livorno?

Do you have enough time in port to get to the Cinque Terre?  We spent 4 days in Florence a few years ago and my one regret is we didn't take a day to go there, so it's still on my bucket list.  We did a really fun cooking class in Florence which was a highlight but unless you are overnight guess that wouldn't be doable.  

We are only in port for the day.  I will check out your suggestions.

Years and years ago we did an excursion from a Princess cruise that did the hill towns rather than go into Florence.  We spent the morning in Volterra, lunch at a farm house (the beginning of agro-tourism) and afternoon in San Gimignano.  It was a very good day with both towns being very interesting/beautiful and the lunch at the farm house was wonderful (sorry don't remember the name, it was in the '90s) and the "house wine" was free flowing from earthenware pitchers drawn strait from the barrels.  You might find a private tour that does something similar or search for a driver that could take you on tour.  In any case, the Hill Towns of this region of Italy are fabulous.  The country side from the ship and between the towns is also not hard on the eyes.

Our Western Med had an overnight in Florence in Dec.  I highly recommend https://www.milesandmiles.net/tours/florence/type/shore-excursions  I have used them twice before in the past.  They will help you decide what is possible during  your day in port and customize the tour to fit your interests.  I specifically asked to visit a winery that specialized in Super Tuscans as I am primarily a Cabernet Sauvignon drinker.  They arranged a visit with https://www.ibalzini.it/en/visits-and-tastings/  we had lunch there and a wine tasting.  I wish I could remember the name of the hill town they took us to but it was very small and scenic  

The ship arrived in port at 7 AM and we scheduled an 8 AM PU which I believe was before most of the tours left the ship so the parking lot was quite empty.  All aboard by 6PM so to be safe we arrived at 5PM.

Thank you MKM.  I will check it out.  Do you mind telling me how many were in your group and how much you paid for the tour?

It was just the two of us.  It was a private tour and around 700 Euros with tip but I knew we would not be back Florence for the foreseeable future.  Viking's optional excursion were more inexpensive but they were definitely a big box tour.  We took a winery tour in Marseille with Viking and it was so big they had to split it into two buses.  The wine was nice but we saw and did so much more at our own pace.  The private tour was a Mercedes van and took a lot of back roads.  It was worth it for Tuscany.  

Yes I see your point.  I have to convince my partner that the price for a wine tour is worth it.  I had a quote for 3 wineries at about 500 Euro. 

(It might help that i am the one paying for the trip LOL.)

Thank you very much for the reply.

Edited by zitsky

zitsky  Completely subjective what something is worth to you.  I had already taken several private winery day trips with my middle school daughters when we were on the West Coast in Napa and Sonoma valley.  Even though they, obviously, were not drinking, they enjoyed the ride, tours, lunches and scenery.  We still talk about the beautiful picnic lunch in a winery under the olive tree with the string lights.  I knew it would be years before we would be back, so all that time was precious.

A good private guide can get you in and out efficiently.  I cover a lot more ground and I've never been patient with other guests who arrive at the meeting point late or otherwise  impede progress.  Although I will say, both my DH and I noticed Viking's guest are easily some of the most considerate we've encountered.  On time and courteous.    

I've always found I've gotten better service if the establishment (winery, restaurant ect.) are aware they are not serving a one time tourist, rather someone that can bring in repeat visits.  Plus, they lean toward smaller more personal wineries.

Ok.  Now I want to go back to Napa Valley when my youngest turns 21.  I told her I we would go at the time and now that is about 18 months away.  Time flies and I never regretted spending the money.

image (3).jpg

Edited by Marykatesmom

Thank you.  Very nice comments.  We may not be back to Tuscany for a while.  So maybe that is a good reason for a wine tour.  I think I will convince my partner to do this wine tour.  Even at $400-500 it's a small cost compared to the price of the cruise.

The partner doesn't really have a choice because I am planning the trip.  LOL

Thank you.  Very nice comments.  We may not be back to Tuscany for a while.  So maybe that is a good reason for a wine tour.  I think I will convince my partner to do this wine tour.  Even at $400-500 it's a small cost compared to the price of the cruise.

The partner doesn't really have a choice because I am planning the trip.  LOL
In the end, expect it to cost more, as you'll probably end up having a case (or two) of wine shipped home. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, just_dont said:

In the end, expect it to cost more, as you'll probably end up having a case (or two) of wine shipped home. 😉

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe not a case.  Maybe a few bottles.  I understand Viking lets you bring in your own wine.