LIVE FROM - 2019 Pacific World Cruise - LA to LA

ccrain

I have enjoyed all of your posts and the adventures you and your beautiful wife have had, and am truly heartbroken for your loss and to finish your world cruise this way.  So many wonderful memories stored in your heart forever.  Please take good care of yourself.

I just read about this on FB and came to CC to find your live from thread...

I am so sorry for your loss. Wishing you lots of peace during a truly awful time. I hope one day you do come back to CC and read all the outpouring of love from everyone on these boards. You and Judy are truly one of a kind. 

Be well. Remember the good times. 

Andrew 

Charles,

I rarely post, but wanted to convey my condolences at this shocking news.  I always looked forward to your posts about Judy and your exploits on cruising, and it's inspired me to do more, go further afield.  I thank you for that.  Your cruising family is surrounding you with love and comfort during this awful, awful time.

Sue

Oh Charles, I subscribed to your thread and have hung on every post so looking forward to experiencing the world cruise through you.  So very sorry for your loss and so very touched by the words you shared.  

Jon

Hello Charles,

We were shocked and sad when we heard the news.  Judy will always be in our memory as a very special friend.  She is humorous, generous and smiling.  We were lucky to know you and Judy in our several cruises together.

With  our deepest sympathies, please take care of yourself.

Love, CL and Meei

Charles,

I opened this thread this morning (as I do every day) expecting to catch up.  Here I sit stunned and shocked, scarcely believing what I've read.  Gail and I have the same relationship, and I could not bear her loss.  Later this year on the Pacific Princess, our first dance will be in honor and memory of you and Judy.

With a heavy heart, and sending love from the two of us,

Bruce

Charles,

Although we never met, I have been following your 2019 WC postings and am at a loss for words to try and offer solace.  I am drawn to two quotes by Wm. Shakespeare written in Macbeth.  These seem to encompass what I might try to say, only much better.

"She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word,
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow......."

and

“Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it break.”

You have a long, sad journey home to bring your wife to her place of eternal rest.  May you be comforted along the way by the memories of the good times shared and the love exchanged.

• Like 1

Charles I have never met you in person but I have followed you in all your travels via this forum and have looked forward to reading your posts and I was shocked by what happened and feel a great sense of loss  for you and what you will have to face without Judy.

I pray that you get home safe and are surrounded by family and friends at this time.

Thank you for all you have done.

G&T Cruisers.

On 2/10/2019 at 3:17 PM, ccrain said:

02-11-2019 Off Auckland – Tragic End To A Cruise

The light, the love of my life, my soulmate, my wife has passed away. Judy is gone.

She passed on 8 Feb 2019 while at sea after she contracted Noro and suffered successive complications.

I am at a loss for words, for feeling, for anything right now. Taking it one step at a time, one hour at a time, one day at a time.

Yesterday we had the most beautiful memorial service for her at sea during the Sunday Church services. It was a fitting memorial to one that loved cruising so. It was a packed house. I am leaving the ship in Auckland, taking her home one last time.

I’m not sure if I can ever read a post on CC again, or post anything ever again – my heart is broken, my soul torn apart. I leave you with the words I spoke at the memorial. Words she would have wanted me to speak. Words I had to speak. Take them to heart. Farewell to you all…

Thank you all for coming. I will try to make this short and to the point, but you might want to get tissues ready, as I have already.

This set of circumstances rarely happens on a ship, but when it does, it reminds us of how precious time is. And it gives us a moment to reflect on just how important we are to each other.

I felt a need, on behalf of Judy and I, to help focus us this morning. In this time of grief to a larger purpose, a celebration of love and of life.

I also want to thank all of you for your heartfelt condolences, your hugs, your cards, your music and most importantly a shoulder to cry on, a friend to be with. I don’t know how I could have survived this on a ship full of strangers.

My grandfather retired at 62 and passed 6 months later leaving my grandmother alone and with unfilled promises of traveling the world together.

That taught me the importance and shortness of time in this life.

I swore to myself and to Judy that that would not happen to us. We vowed that if we died tomorrow, we would not regret. And we followed that vision as much as humanly possible.

We worked, we scrimped, we saved and we started cruising in 2001 on the Ocean Princess, Sun Class, to Alaska. I was a ‘can you fish off the back of the boat guy’ and she got carsick going to the mall. Strange duo for cruising.

But we and our four suitcases of stuff made the 7 day cruise and loved it. By our third cruise on the Island to Panama, 10 days but far less stuff, we were hooked on cruising.

But we also made the most of our time together not cruising. When cooking, cleaning house, making the bed, unmaking the bed, watching TV, going out to eat and dancing, especially dancing together.

Each and every day possible we looked at each other, thanking whatever lucky stars brought us together almost 41 years ago.

We valued, treasured, cherished the time we spent together. Those of you familiar with my threads from cruises know how much our lives were intertwined. How much we meant to each other.

And now, time has caught up with us. But I, and I hope she, has no regrets. It hurts. God it hurts more than anything in the world. But it’s a lesson in pain all of you can learn something from.

Today, tonight, right now – turn to the one you love. Look into their eyes, listen to their voice, touch their hand. Revel in that feeling of completeness, of oneness in that precious moment of time.

Tomorrow may bring emptiness, but right now, at this time, in this place you have each other. And nothing, nothing can take that moment away.

Make that moment count.

May god bless your onward journey with much love and many, many such moments. Thank you again for coming.

Oh, Charles...my heart is simply breaking for your loss. Judy was such a vibrant, loving woman. How we loved watching you two dance in the Explorer’s lounge in your matching outfits. You were the ultimate cruisers and both Joe and I said we wished we had done more of your tours to get to know you both better. When I thought about leaving all the new freinds we had met on the Pacific Circle Cruise, you two were on the top of the list. I told Joe I hoped we would run into you on another cruise. Please accept our heartfelt condolences. With deepest sympathy, Vicki and Joe Fabulich

I have been gratefully following your trip on CC and was heartbroken to read your post.  Can’t stop thinking about it.  There are truly no words to comfort the loss of your soulmate, and in such a tragic and unexpected way.  You are in my prayers.