Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
JimnKaren

Zaandam in Buenos Aires

Recommended Posts

I did not see this addressed anywhere else. If the topic is out there, I missed it.

Karen and I will board Zaandam on 21 March of this year. The ship will sail from Buenos Aires the next evening. Our roll call has been considering a group excursion the evening of the 21st to a local Tango Show. We have about 20 (so far) and I am working on getting decent transportation between the ship and show.

However, a thought was put out that maybe Holland America Lines just might have local talent come on to the ship that evening of the 21st and perform their version of a tango show. Very interesting.

Anyone with experience with being in Buenos Aires for two days? Does HAL bring local talent on?

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two years ago I was on Zaandam's  March repositioning to Vancouver & they did have a Tango group onboard on the night in BA.

We spent 4 nights in BA & 3 nights at Puerto Iguassu prior to joining Zaandam.

BA is quite a dangerous city for tourists & scams on tourists.  Do research on street crime, Taxi scams & money scams before you go.

A trusted local English Taxi operator John Boyle [ BATaxis ] may be able to help you. See Tripadvisor.

You could use Viator for your group trip to a Tango show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I boarded Zaandam last March in BsAs and we overnighted there. I have the When and Where in front of me and it shows the evening’s entertainment was a movie (Assassination Tango) and Brett Cave (Elton John and Billy Joel hits).

 

The following evening (sailing to Montevideo) we had the Pampas Devils Gauchos perform a hybrid live dance, song, and video production which included Tango and the Bolas. Highly recommended.

 

 

You might be able to find out from the ship if they will have special entertainment the night in question.

 

just adding- I did the HAL tango show with lunch at Los Angelitos and both were really good. You can book the show with or without independently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seadog has a good point. We all received a “be extremely careful” letter in our cabins from the Captain on boarding addressing that. Also, I had looked at several shorex through ShoreExcursionsGroup and found many required you to get yourself to a common meeting place. Many did not have cruise terminal pick up. Being you have to take the shuttle to the ship, you might check the hours it operates. I have no idea if it runs all night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hijacking this thread-We will be on Zaandam when it arrives in Buenos Aires after a cruise from Santiago.  The itinerary is that we arrive in the morning, stay overnight on the ship, and disembark the next morning.  OUR schedule would be better if we can disembark on the day we arrive, as we will be traveling to Iguazu Falls for a few days.  Will we be allowed to do this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, teacherman said:

We will be on Zaandam when it arrives in Buenos Aires after a cruise from Santiago.  The itinerary is that we arrive in the morning, stay overnight on the ship, and disembark the next morning.  OUR schedule would be better if we can disembark on the day we arrive, as we will be traveling to Iguazu Falls for a few days.  Will we be allowed to do this?

Yes. You may want to make arrangements in advance with Seattle, then confirm them on the ship.

It has been done before by people who don't want to wait around all disembarkation day for a late night flight. They leave late afternoon of the first BA day for a flight that night. Much more relaxing.
So, your reason should work, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teacherman said:

Hijacking this thread-We will be on Zaandam when it arrives in Buenos Aires after a cruise from Santiago.  The itinerary is that we arrive in the morning, stay overnight on the ship, and disembark the next morning.  OUR schedule would be better if we can disembark on the day we arrive, as we will be traveling to Iguazu Falls for a few days.  Will we be allowed to do this?

 

There were people who did this when we did Zaandam Santiago to BA.  You just have to be able to self-disembark. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I boarded Zaandam last March in BsAs and we overnighted there. I have the When and Where in front of me and it shows the evening’s entertainment was a movie (Assassination Tango) and Brett Cave (Elton John and Billy Joel hits).

 

The following evening (sailing to Montevideo) we had the Pampas Devils Gauchos perform a hybrid live dance, song, and video production which included Tango and the Bolas. Highly recommended.

 

I boarded 2 years ago and we had the Pampas Devils Gauchos the night we sailed as well.  I expect you will see it.

 

Roy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hijacking again - what is the procedure when disembarking in BA?  Is it simply take your luggage down the gang plank and walk into the terminal, or do you have to take a bus (with luggage) to the terminal?  Also, don't you have to clear immigration and get your passport stamped?  Any information is welcome.  Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

teacherman,

you should do your own research here and not continue to do what you have.

Pick up a phone and call the cruise line! Duh!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, teacherman said:

Hijacking again - what is the procedure when disembarking in BA?  Is it simply take your luggage down the gang plank and walk into the terminal, or do you have to take a bus (with luggage) to the terminal?  Also, don't you have to clear immigration and get your passport stamped?  Any information is welcome.  Thank you.

This is not really relevant to this thread.  Perhaps if you start your own,  you may get better information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for this one. I find it difficult to believe that no one can offer significant assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe they will do anything the first night.  As rafinmd said, the Pampas Devils put on a gaucho show one night, and we (also on the Zaandam), had a couple who danced the tango for one show and I think they stayed on board for a few days, even taught the tango.  

 

We went to a tango show from our hotel in BA.  There was a vehicle that picked us up and brought us back after.  From the ship it might be different, as there is a shuttle to the ship, too.  I don't know how late the shuttle ran.  If you can't get from the terminal to the ship, there would be a problem!

 

PS I think that the tango show place provided the transportation to and from the venue.

Edited by Vict0riann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...