Sign in to follow this  
Lilycat2010

St. John Beach with Amenities- First Time Help

Hi,

Sailing to to the island of St. John for the first time.  I understand the beaches are spectacular and the thing to see.  We are traveling with my parents, who will require shade, bathrooms, and snacks.  I am wondering which would be the best option?  It seems like reports state that some are still recovering.

Can anyone advise?  Thanks!

Edited by Lilycat2010

I have read that Trunk Bay has their snack bar back up and restrooms.  If you are going over the next few weeks, however, it is a state park, so it may be closed due to the government shutdown.  I'm not sure.  

Another option is Honeymoon Beach-- they offer day passes which gives you access to restrooms, lockers, beach chairs, snorkel gear and kayaks.  Haven't been there since the hurricanes, but it use to have natural shade. 

I spent 2 weeks on STJ at Christmas. These beaches are the best options that fit your criteria. Keep in mind that you have to hike into Honeymoon, or take the zodiac ride from Cruz Bay.

Shade can be tough to come by, especially if you aren't on the beach early, but generally you can find some as provided you are flexible on location.

Based on your criteria, I'd give a slight advantage to Honeymoon. I found it to have a bit more shade, and slightly better food offerings.