Cunard Dress Code for a first timer

Maroubrastomper

Hi there 

I am a newbie to cruising and hoping someone may be able to assist.  Will be travelling on QV next month.

I understand the ‘dress’ code throughout the day and for after 6 (and will pack lovely evening dresses for the evening) however what is the code for ladies foot wear during the day and evening.

Is a Birkenstock ok for use thru the day.  And will open sandals be appropriate with evening wear.   If so do they need to be a certain heel height.  Or do I need to bring along a court-shoe with enclosed toe and heel.  Any advice would be of assistance.

There is no specific code for ladies footwear, day time or evening although I think wearing  crocs with your evening dress might be pushing it.

Birkenstocks, fit flops, flip flops to Gucci ballet flats, your style your choice. You can even wear your 5 ins stilettos if you want but they're not very practical around the pool.

27 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

There is no specific code for ladies footwear, day time or evening although I think wearing  crocs with your evening dress might be pushing it.

Birkenstocks, fit flops, flip flops to Gucci ballet flats, your style your choice. You can even wear your 5 ins stilettos if you want but they're not very practical around the pool.

The main advice was for daytime wear and I missed out the evening advice which is again, your choice. I choose the shoe which compliments the outfit and has an appropriate heel for the length of the garment. I was serious about the crocs unless you have a foot condition which requires the wearing of such a shoe.

Edited by Victoria2
added foot condition

During the day anything seems to be o.k. Evenings, I think apart from trainers and sandals,   Flat or high fine. Just enjoy the experience I think most women enjoy being dress up and they look good, and the men,some may not enjoy, but at they  look like they have made an effort. What I like about the dress code all us men look like penguins.😉

24 minutes ago, luckymal said:

During the day anything seems to be o.k. Evenings, I think apart from trainers and sandals,   Flat or high fine. Just enjoy the experience I think most women enjoy being dress up and they look good, and the men,some may not enjoy, but at they  look like they have made an effort. What I like about the dress code all us men look like penguins.😉

Sorry, but what on earth is wong with sandals in the evenings? I often wear them, and had thought them the smartest shoes I have. 

52 minutes ago, luckymal said:

I suppose we all have different opinions on what we think is or not smart?

High heeled , black or gold, strappy sandals? Not smart? I've never heard that suggested. And certainly they seem to be worn pretty widely on Cunard formal nights in my experience. And the current Cunard advert in the U.K. press shows an elegant woman in a red evening dress wearing very minimalist sandals, so Cunard presumably think they are OK for formal occasions?

• Like 1

I wear only sandals during the day and smart sandals in evening suitable  for dancing.

you will see every kind of shoe known to mankind being  worn and some of the older folks who have foot problems wear what they can fit into-only thing I have not seen is bare  feet may be I should try ? 

3 hours ago, Underwatr said:

There's no "rule" about sandals for women, only for men.

The term 'Sandal' in ladies shoes has many definitions. It could be beach type sandals, or it could be very dressy shoes that many ladies wear these days. The the right place with well groomed feet ladies should have no fear wearing sandals. 

I would hope, however, that plastic flip flops only be worn to or from a pool, a whirlpool spa or in the Canyon Ranch Spa, certainly not in the dining rooms, bars or lounges. 

I was on the QE this Christmas for my first cruise.  Footwear seemed to accommodate the person's mobility.  Given the number of ballroom dancers, women's dress sandals are fine.  I even work my flat orthotic sandals with dress trousers and no one stopped me at the door.  Speaking of trousers, I did not bring a dress.  I have dressy crepe trousers that I wore with glitzy tops or chiffon capelets for formal nights and didn't feel under dressed at all.  Given the complements, it must have been appropriate.

The other thing of note was men's footwear.  Again - comfort was king.  Several gentleman had casual shoes, albeit black, under their tuxedos.  I mean Crocs or canvas slip on deck shoes....but as the colour blended in the maitre d turned a blind eye at the dining room door.

So, try to accommodate the code, but I wouldn't agonize on it like I did before my first sailing.

• Thanks 1