Just booked a cruise on the Ghost Ship

Bruin Steve

I was just looking for short cruises to take during my wife's Spring Break...She gets off work Friday April 12...but we have to be back home in SoCal by April 19 for a family commitment...

I had looked before...but hadn't found anything...at least nothing that made sense (like without a long expensive flight attached).  So...we figured, instead, we'd head up to Portland, Oregon--where both of our daughters live--at least for the weekend, since they'd be back at work Monday...Round trip airfare--about $400-500 per person...

But, when I looked at the Princess schedule, there had been a change.  Apparently, the Emerald Princess is to undergo a refurbishment--which was originally scheduled to be done in time for an April 11 7-night Coastal cruise to Los Angeles...BUT, apparently, they weren't going to make that date...so they canceled that cruise and pushed it back to April 15--making it a 3 night cruise instead...Of course, now it has no time to make any port stops anywhere--it just goes from Vancouver on the 15th to LA the morning of the18th...Perfect for us...

So, we're flying one way up to Portland for $210 pp...Spending the weekend with the daughters...then flying out of PDX Monday morning for another $124 pp...and, rather than flying home, we get to spend 3 relaxing nights on the Emerald Princess doing almost nothing...

And here's the great part--Since they just scheduled this recently, they are nowhere close to being sold out...a quick guess tells me they are maybe 20% sold...So the prices are very low...OTOH, this thing may sail half empty (maybe more)...a ghost ship!  In some ways, that may be a good thing--no lines, no waits, easy to find seats in the theater or in a lounge...It may be the quietest cruise we've ever been on...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there is another Emerald 'Ghost Ship' cruise in March too!

I got a flyer in the mail today, and one of the advertised specials was a 3-day LA to Vancouver on March 26. Only $149 US per person!

Had a look on the website, and many of the insides are sold (all aft insides are sold out), but there are TONS of balconies available.  SO many. I'm going to keep my eye on this one!

We are on the Ruby from March 17-24, and if it was a super good deal, we could spend one night in San Pedro, then cruise back home to BC! 😮