wrecklezz316

Norwegian Sun now all inclusive?

I am trying to book Norwegian Sun April 1, 2019 western carribbean 5 nights.  However, I can not seem to get a clear answer on wether this a a all inclusive cruise like the sky.

When "upgrading" from sail away rate to a standard inside rate and choosing "Unlimited Open Bar", the prepaid gratuities are at the rate of a premium open bar ($5.80 per day), significatnly less than the gratuties for unlimited open bar (19.80 per day).  This hinted to me that maybe the ship is now open bar, even for the 5 day caribbean sailings.  When calling norwegian, they give mixed answers and agents seemed confused themselves.  

Does anyone know something I dont?  The sail away rate for this is great for a 5 night, and would be amazing if it included open bar.

I am not aware any NCL cruise ship is truly all inclusive. MANY people complain NCL "nickel and dimes" their pax too much. 

I think you need to clarify your definition of all inclusive. Is all food, in all venues, included? (I don't think so on NCL- there are extra fee restaurants). Is all beverages included? I know NCL includes beverage plans in a lot of packages, but that isn't usually for all alcohols, just the cheaper ones.

We won't get into shore excursions.

Your best option is to ask on the NCL board here, under Cruise Lines A-O.  EM

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I am not aware any NCL cruise ship is truly all inclusive. MANY people complain NCL "nickel and dimes" their pax too much. 

I think you need to clarify your definition of all inclusive. Is all food, in all venues, included? (I don't think so on NCL- there are extra fee restaurants). Is all beverages included? I know NCL includes beverage plans in a lot of packages, but that isn't usually for all alcohols, just the cheaper ones.

You need to do a little more NCL research before answering. As OP is aware the SKY includes an open bar for all passengers in its fare, it is considered all inclusive. I have nit heard about the SUN going that way but it may be coming soon.

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The OP is clearly asking if the 5-day Sun has the open bar included (like the Sky). From the NCL website, it appears that this is one of the inclusive voyages. 

image.png.9980717ac3f25d071297b4d8fd38bfb9.png

Edited by BirdTravels

Again...a free bar doesn't make it "all inclusive", it just makes it a free bar (which is, no doubt, nice). Are ALL meals included, or are there extra fee restaurants?

The Sun does the free open bar on some of the shorter cruises. It is the same concept/policy as the free open bar on the Sky. If it shows the "free open bar" banner on that specific cruise like BirdTravels posted above, then it is included.

Longer cruises on the Sun ( like Panama Canal) don't have the free open bar - just be sure to check. If the only "perk" you care about is the free open bar, then you can just book a sail away rate on these cruises. 

I've been on both the Sun and Sky recently. If you have any questions let me know. It is different than the UBP. Ex: shots are an up charge, but you can have them add an extra shot to your mixed drink. It's a bit strange.

This was super helpful thank you.  

Any ship you prefer over the other?  I know that Sun just got renovated but can you tell on board?  When's the last time you were on?

Do you need a wristband or key for the open bar on Sun?

I definitely prefer the Sun, since she was just renovated. Also, the Sun on these shorter cruises usually ports out of Port Canaveral vs Port of Miami. Flights to Orlando are much cheaper than flights to Miami for me.

The Sky will be undergoing drydock soon if not already started, and will be done well before your cruise in April. So she will be renovated as well. However, I'm not sure what all renovations they will be completing.

You can definitely tell that the Sun has been renovated and the Sky hasn't. For the most part though, the ship layout is the same. They are in the same ship class.

The Sun has USB charging ports on the lights next to the bed. This is helpful because there is a severe lack of regular electrical outlets in the standard cabins (one in the room, one in the bathroom).

I was last onboard the Sun in 08/2018, and the Sky 12/2018. You don't need a wristband or to swipe your ship card for the open bar. Everyone on the ship automatically has it. If you look young the bartender will ask you for your ship card to confirm your age. You will also be asked for your ship card if you order something that has an upcharge (ie shots, top shelf liquor, energy drinks).