Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

2 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

Well it appears it’s time to “jump ship”.  I just got off Celebrity Equinox and LOVED the free beverage package!  We were given the BEST package for free (unlike NCL they INCLUDE the gratuity) It was an amazing cruise with the best crew I’ve ever had the pleasure of sailing with.  Unlike  NCL I never felt  Nickeled and Dimed!!!   As a Platinum loyalty member it’s difficult to leave NCL but I am so

unhappy with all the changes that I am seriously considering it. 

Which ship did you sail?

Actually the IT fix is not hard at all.  MSC seems to have figured out how to grandfather people so there is precedent.

But here’s the fix—

if the booking was made before xxx date, then either:

1.  “Free” drink max is $18; or

2.  Credit back all drink charges that are $3 or less before phony autograt; or

3.  Give some arbitrary amount of non-refundable OBC towards the increased drink cost - make up a number, I’d think $100-$150 per person should more than cover it, or

4.  Give free premium pkg, or

5.  Allow no-penalty cruise cancellation, even if after final payment

All very straightforward it-wise - and yes, I AM an IT professional, although I haven’t got a clue about their systems.

1 hour ago, erdoran said:

Actually the IT fix is not hard at all.  MSC seems to have figured out how to grandfather people so there is precedent.

But here’s the fix—

if the booking was made before xxx date, then either:

1.  “Free” drink max is $18; or

2.  Credit back all drink charges that are $3 or less before phony autograt; or

3.  Give some arbitrary amount of non-refundable OBC towards the increased drink cost - make up a number, I’d think $100-$150 per person should more than cover it, or

4.  Give free premium pkg, or

5.  Allow no-penalty cruise cancellation, even if after final payment

All very straightforward it-wise - and yes, I AM an IT professional, although I haven’t got a clue about their systems.

Interesting...

Would the bars have to have different drink menus showing different pricing depending on the date you booked?

How would that be enforced?

Would grandfathered pricing only apply to drinks, or would this cover anything onboard with a price (photos, excursions, meals, shows, items in the shops, gelato, etc)?? I mean, if you're going to lock in drink prices as of the booking date, then you have to lock in prices for everything else, right?

If I am locked into a price based on my date of booking, what happens if the price were to decrease? Am I still obligated to pay the higher price?

Just now, SeaShark said:

Interesting...

Would the bars have to have different drink menus showing different pricing depending on the date you booked?

How would that be enforced?

Would grandfathered pricing only apply to drinks, or would this cover anything onboard with a price (photos, excursions, meals, shows, items in the shops, gelato, etc)?? I mean, if you're going to lock in drink prices as of the booking date, then you have to lock in prices for everything else, right?

If I am locked into a price based on my date of booking, what happens if the price were to decrease? Am I still obligated to pay the higher price?

Nope, Sea Shark - it's just for the 1/1 price increase on UBP, and I'd go so far as to say ONLY those who were past final payment when the price increase hit should be in scope.

And ONLY drinks, because that's really been pre-advertised and expectations set about what is included, and now NCL is charging an extra $35/day --yes, they are adding things that were not in the original UBP, but for picky drinkers, there are things that WERE included that they now have to pay $35/day extra for, or some amount extra per drink which does add up.  For example, I have an email from NCL from my booking date (9/15/18) mentioning Grey Goose as being INCLUDED in UBP.  For those who are big drinkers and who care about their brands, perhaps it is a deal-breaker--people have posted that they are cancelling because of this.  BUT - those of us who are past final payment don't have the option to cancel.

As far as drink prices decreasing, that's not the point - I'm talking about the UBP used to cover x, now it covers much less.  The price is still the same - included as a perk.  Right?  So if drink prices decrease, MORE is included in UBP but the UBP price hasn't changed.  

2 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Nope, Sea Shark - it's just for the 1/1 price increase on UBP, and I'd go so far as to say ONLY those who were past final payment when the price increase hit should be in scope.

And ONLY drinks, because that's really been pre-advertised and expectations set about what is included, and now NCL is charging an extra $35/day --yes, they are adding things that were not in the original UBP, but for picky drinkers, there are things that WERE included that they now have to pay $35/day extra for, or some amount extra per drink which does add up.  For example, I have an email from NCL from my booking date (9/15/18) mentioning Grey Goose as being INCLUDED in UBP.  For those who are big drinkers and who care about their brands, perhaps it is a deal-breaker--people have posted that they are cancelling because of this.  BUT - those of us who are past final payment don't have the option to cancel.

As far as drink prices decreasing, that's not the point - I'm talking about the UBP used to cover x, now it covers much less.  The price is still the same - included as a perk.  Right?  So if drink prices decrease, MORE is included in UBP but the UBP price hasn't changed.  

I noticed one of your posts on the MSC board. I guess the same thing is going on there also. I’m staying in the YC in April and I don’t have a clue what drink package or brands I’m entitled to. One poster says this, one poster says that. I’m getting kind of fed up with the whole thing.

6 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I noticed one of your posts on the MSC board. I guess the same thing is going on there also. I’m staying in the YC in April and I don’t have a clue what drink package or brands I’m entitled to. One poster says this, one poster says that. I’m getting kind of fed up with the whole thing.

Report back, please.  I’m looking at them seriously, be interested to know if they are straight shooters and deliver what was purchased at booking time, or if they are another “bait & switch” operation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Report back, please.  I’m looking at them seriously, be interested to know if they are straight shooters and deliver what was purchased at booking time, or if they are another “bait & switch” operation.

I will. I’m staying in an aft facing Haven suite on the Getaway in a couple weeks and then the YC in April so I’ll do a comparison between the two experiences.

• Thanks 1

Hubby is a Bacardi and coke guy ...I like mojitos and we are both satisfied with the Pinot Noir as our wine choice, add in a few beers and we are happy ....So this does not affect us as it does others ...I really could not tell the high end vodka over Smirnoff ...but it feels a bit unfair for the ones who can ...We still like NCL but we are happy to move around other lines if our needs change ..

7 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

Well it appears it’s time to “jump ship”.  I just got off Celebrity Equinox and LOVED the free beverage package!  We were given the BEST package for free (unlike NCL they INCLUDE the gratuity) It was an amazing cruise with the best crew I’ve ever had the pleasure of sailing with.  Unlike  NCL I never felt  Nickeled and Dimed!!!   As a Platinum loyalty member it’s difficult to leave NCL but I am so

This is good to hear! We're planning to sail a Baltic cruise in summer '20 and had planned to sail with NCL- but I started looking around after the changes to the UBP. The Celebrity prices are very close to NCL's for similar itineraries, and the perks are more inclusive with Celebrity. We're only Silver with NCL, but we had decided to make them our go-to... but now it's all back in the air. Thanks for the Celebrity feedback!

Why ONLY those past final payment?

it should be any who BOOKED before this insane price increase

i cannot cancel or I’m out 250 bucks because I’m never sailing on NCL again

i cannot cancel because I made a commitment with our friends 

i booked in good faith I was getting a certain product and now I am not

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmbhardy said:

I saw a post that the YC get their Premium Plus. 

15 hours ago, Jldevlin said:

Hubby is a Bacardi and coke guy ...I like mojitos and we are both satisfied with the Pinot Noir as our wine choice, add in a few beers and we are happy ....So this does not affect us as it does others ...I really could not tell the high end vodka over Smirnoff ...but it feels a bit unfair for the ones who can ...We still like NCL but we are happy to move around other lines if our needs change ..

No coke - Pepsi 🙂

I just sailed on a Marella (British) cruise in November. It was all inclusive but the upgrade to premium drinks gins, whiskys, cocktails etc. plus premium coffee and bottled water was £7.00 a day, about $9:00.

The whole thing, flights UK to Barbados, transfers, a weeks cruise, large balcony cabin with hammock and a week in a Barbados beach  hotel was £1800. (about $2330). I've already book for this year and I'm paying about the same just for flights and the cruise( with standard drinks package) this year on Breakaway.

Next year time to look elsewhere I think.

42 minutes ago, jordan9900 said:

I'm sailing out tomorrow on the Breakaway for 10 days, preparing to be disappointed.

Honestly I think NCL's sleight of hand is wrong and reinforces the impression that Norwegian is the nickel and dime cruise line BUT why go on a cruise prepared to be disappointed ?  In spite of these moves, I'm guessing you'll have a good time . Enjoy !

• Like 1

On 2/1/2019 at 5:15 PM, twoznuff2 said:

Disregard the date above.

The below was posted on a related cruisecritic thread labeled New UBP price list....

We're on the Epic and Nelson the hotel director said at our cruise critic meeting they'd be adding back grey goose and several other popular liquors to the under 15 dollar section so they're in the UBP. He said changes would happen within 2 months I believe. He also said this was in response to people giving them feedback on the UBP changes. 

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Disregard the date above.

The below was posted on a related cruisecritic thread labeled New UBP price list....

We're on the Epic and Nelson the hotel director said at our cruise critic meeting they'd be adding back grey goose and several other popular liquors to the under 15 dollar section so they're in the UBP. He said changes would happen within 2 months I believe. He also said this was in response to people giving them feedback on the UBP changes. 

That is extremely good news. I’ll be on the Getaway in a couple weeks and I will confirm that with the officers. Hopefully they will start waving the upcharges immediately.

• Like 1

I happened to read through my NCL email (and immediately got locked out of the email when I had nothing unread, this is the email on the top right of your "my ncl" screen) and noticed some of the upcharge brands referenced by name as included.  I happened to be on the "new UBP price list" thread and asked if someone there happened to have that email, and to post it here.  YOu will find it quite interesting I'm sure.  Emphasis is mine.  

Note it says cocktails "Made with" so that is open to interpretation - but certainly if you ask for your screwdriver to be made with Grey Goose, that should be within the scope of this-if there are any attorneys on this thread, what do YOU think? (I'm NOT an attorney, I'm just a "judge show" fan!)

Sent: January 27, 2019
Subject: Beverage Packages Now On Sale

Sip on unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise for only $99 per person per day*. From classic martinis and margaritas to mojitos and piña coladas, the Ultimate Beverage Package offers a wide range of delicious cocktails made with premium spirits, including Bacardi Superior rum, Grey Goose vodka and Jose Cuervo tequila, among others.

Plus, with soda packages for kids and teens to wine and beer selections for adults, we also offer a wide selection of fantastic beverage options designed for guests of all ages. Thanks to Norwegian's multitude of beverage options, it's easier than ever to stay refreshed. Bottoms up!

*Terms & Conditions
Package not available on sailings less than 2 days or charter sailings.

23 hours ago, sandycruzr said:

Bingo!

We were on the Edge last month and WOW! The food in the MDR is better then the specialty restaurants on NCL. Beverage package didn't nickel and dime you etc. Much more pleasant experience on Celebrity and i'm in my 30s so...not at all an old timers cruise line anymore.

27 minutes ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Bingo!

We were on the Edge last month and WOW! The food in the MDR is better then the specialty restaurants on NCL. Beverage package didn't nickel and dime you etc. Much more pleasant experience on Celebrity and i'm in my 30s so...not at all an old timers cruise line anymore.

I'm in the same "boat" (bad pun) Early 30s, scared Celebrity will just be old people. But with what I'm paying for a balcony on NCL versus what I could pay for the same on Celebrity... it's got me wanting to book my next cruise with Celebrity, even though I have two CruiseNext certs to use before 2022.

Edited by allyfrizzle

37 minutes ago, erdoran said:

I happened to read through my NCL email (and immediately got locked out of the email when I had nothing unread, this is the email on the top right of your "my ncl" screen) and noticed some of the upcharge brands referenced by name as included.  I happened to be on the "new UBP price list" thread and asked if someone there happened to have that email, and to post it here.  YOu will find it quite interesting I'm sure.  Emphasis is mine.  

Note it says cocktails "Made with" so that is open to interpretation - but certainly if you ask for your screwdriver to be made with Grey Goose, that should be within the scope of this-if there are any attorneys on this thread, what do YOU think? (I'm NOT an attorney, I'm just a "judge show" fan!)

Sent: January 27, 2019
Subject: Beverage Packages Now On Sale

Sip on unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise for only $99 per person per day*. From classic martinis and margaritas to mojitos and piña coladas, the Ultimate Beverage Package offers a wide range of delicious cocktails made with premium spirits, including Bacardi Superior rum, Grey Goose vodka and Jose Cuervo tequila, among others.

Plus, with soda packages for kids and teens to wine and beer selections for adults, we also offer a wide selection of fantastic beverage options designed for guests of all ages. Thanks to Norwegian's multitude of beverage options, it's easier than ever to stay refreshed. Bottoms up!

*Terms & Conditions
Package not available on sailings less than 2 days or charter sailings.

That same write up mentioning Grey Goose appears in your messages in a beverage package solicitation in your myncl account. It mentions it in my messages for my cruise in two weeks so I’m going to demand it when I’m onboard. I don’t know how they can refuse you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

That same write up mentioning Grey Goose appears in your messages in a beverage package solicitation in your myncl account. It mentions it in my messages for my cruise in two weeks so I’m going to demand it when I’m onboard. I don’t know how they can refuse you.

Good luck! It’s NCL and they have a history of not really giving a s***. 

I happened to read through my NCL email (and immediately got locked out of the email when I had nothing unread, this is the email on the top right of your "my ncl" screen)........

Try resting your cursor over the "My NCL" on the main page after logging in and when the drop down box appears, click on "view Account".  You should see your cruise/cruises listed there.  Beside each listed cruise, there should be a "Messages" box.  Click on this instead of the envelope symbol at the top and you should see all mail, both read and unread, listed there.