Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

16 minutes ago, tarps14 said:

Try resting your cursor over the "My NCL" on the main page after logging in and when the drop down box appears, click on "view Account".  You should see your cruise/cruises listed there.  Beside each listed cruise, there should be a "Messages" box.  Click on this instead of the envelope symbol at the top and you should see all mail, both read and unread, listed there.

OMG, DUH and thank you!  AND - it was also updated after I booked to show the higher UBP price!

From: Norwegian Communications CenterSent: September 15, 2018Subject: Beverage Packages Now On Sale

Sip on unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise for only $99 per person per day*. From classic martinis and margaritas to mojitos and piña coladas, the Ultimate Beverage Package offers a wide range of delicious cocktails made with premium spirits, including Bacardi Superior rum, Grey Goose vodka and Jose Cuervo tequila, among others.

Plus, with soda packages for kids and teens to wine and beer selections for adults, we also offer a wide selection of fantastic beverage options designed for guests of all ages. Thanks to Norwegian's multitude of beverage options, it's easier than ever to stay refreshed. Bottoms up!

*Terms & Conditions
Package not available on sailings less than 2 days or charter sailings.

13 minutes ago, erdoran said:

OMG, DUH and thank you!  AND - it was also updated after I booked to show the higher UBP price!

From: Norwegian Communications CenterSent: September 15, 2018Subject: Beverage Packages Now On Sale

Sip on unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise for only $99 per person per day*. From classic martinis and margaritas to mojitos and piña coladas, the Ultimate Beverage Package offers a wide range of delicious cocktails made with premium spirits, including Bacardi Superior rum, Grey Goose vodka and Jose Cuervo tequila, among others.

Plus, with soda packages for kids and teens to wine and beer selections for adults, we also offer a wide selection of fantastic beverage options designed for guests of all ages. Thanks to Norwegian's multitude of beverage options, it's easier than ever to stay refreshed. Bottoms up!

*Terms & Conditions
Package not available on sailings less than 2 days or charter sailings.

MyNCL message also has the exact same wording - if I click on terms and conditions it takes me to a "forbidden" page....It seems a little odd that they could specify in writing that these brands are included and then that not be the case on the ship?

19 hours ago, erdoran said:

Report back, please.  I’m looking at them seriously, be interested to know if they are straight shooters and deliver what was purchased at booking time, or if they are another “bait & switch” operation.

Pretty much everything is included in YC, other than super super premium. The YC package doesn’t have a name since it is included which I think leads to confusion. 

4 hours ago, blcruising said:

Disregard the date above.

The below was posted on a related cruisecritic thread labeled New UBP price list....

We're on the Epic and Nelson the hotel director said at our cruise critic meeting they'd be adding back grey goose and several other popular liquors to the under 15 dollar section so they're in the UBP. He said changes would happen within 2 months I believe. He also said this was in response to people giving them feedback on the UBP changes. 

I want to believe it, but I’m calling BS. I’ll translate what he said (in my opinion):

”I’m tired of hearing from you, so I’ll make an empty promise so you shut up. Not like you’re going to ever see me again, so what do I care.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Pretty much everything is included in YC, other than super super premium. The YC package doesn’t have a name since it is included which I think leads to confusion. 

Yep, YC is still all in on MSC, mini bar and all...

10 minutes ago, slugg said:

I want to believe it, but I’m calling BS. I’ll translate what he said (in my opinion):

”I’m tired of hearing from you, so I’ll make an empty promise so you shut up. Not like you’re going to ever see me again, so what do I care.”

Having been on the Epic in November and had a meeting with Nelson I think you may well be right. We found him to be very arrogant and condescending. That cruise is the only one of our 7 with NCL where service was average at best, restaurants were a disorganised rabble, staff seemed unhappy and officers and managers were non-existent. He at least admitted they were having a lot of problems.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:43 PM, gmbhardy said:

My wife likes Black Russians (vodka and Khalhua)  You can really taste the difference when it’s made with Grey Goose.

lol, so you can taste something that is meant to be order less, colorless and tasteless. From someone who used to sell alcohol to restaurants the vast and I do mean vast majority can not tell what they are drinking if it is served on the rocks. Let alone if you add a strong taste such a Kahlua. It is all about branding now I understand the issue you speak of. Taking that out of the picture it would take someone who has a plate so refined that they can pick up such minute difference that you up in the rang of a computer or should find themselves being a Sommelier as a profession. Now I am only talking about plain not flavored Vodka which again is meant to be Order less, Colorless, and Tasteless. So order a Titos and tell people it's Gray Goose. 

Edited by ToAdam12
correction

12 minutes ago, ToAdam12 said:

lol, so you can taste something that is meant to be order less, colorless and tasteless. From someone who used to sell alcohol to restaurants the vast and I do mean vast majority can not tell what they are drinking if it is served on the rocks. Let alone if you add a strong taste such a Kahlua. It is all about branding now I understand the issue you speak of. Taking that out of the picture it would take someone who has a plate so refined that they can pick up such minute difference that you up in the rang of a computer or should find themselves being a Sommelier as a profession. Now I am only talking about plain not flavored Vodka which again is meant to be Order less, Colorless, and Tasteless. So order a Titos and tell people it's Gray Goose. 

Before jumping on one post, you should read the rest of the thread. My wife is not alone.

1 minute ago, gmbhardy said:

Before jumping on one post, you should read the rest of the thread. My wife is not alone.

I don't need to jump. I get what you mean about the up charge for Gray Goose. But again if I give you a true blind taste test or anyone else who thinks they can pick which vodka brand they are drinking most will get it wrong. Shockingly wrong at that. Go to a bar and pick any 5 vodkas no flavors just straight up vodkas and see if you can taste the difference. That is my point is it a little tong and cheek what I wrote yes. But again I can see how that is frustrating that they have priced it above that 15 min and not having a fully stocked items. I would be too. Just talking about vodka 

9 minutes ago, ToAdam12 said:

I agree, especially with Vodka. Once you’re mixing, as long as it’s not garbage, almost nobody can tell the difference. In fact, Tito’s is pretty good. 

The differences become wayyyyy more apparent with tequila, as far as mixing goes. But if you want a decent scotch on the rocks, well, the UBP is incredibad now. 

7 minutes ago, ToAdam12 said:

I don't need to jump. I get what you mean about the up charge for Gray Goose. But again if I give you a true blind taste test or anyone else who thinks they can pick which vodka brand they are drinking most will get it wrong. Shockingly wrong at that. Go to a bar and pick any 5 vodkas no flavors just straight up vodkas and see if you can taste the difference. That is my point is it a little tong and cheek what I wrote yes. But again I can see how that is frustrating that they have priced it above that 15 min and not having a fully stocked items. I would be too. Just talking about vodka 

My wife says she can taste the difference, she prefers Grey Goose and she doesn’t care what other people think.

11 minutes ago, ToAdam12 said:

Give your wife a taste test. it is all about branding nothing more

You are of course correct but you'll never get people to believe this because doing so would mean they were played for fools by marketers . IF , IF you are that small group that can taste the difference , you won't by the second drink or when it's in a mixed drink . People want to be deluded .

http://www.tastings.com/Spirits-Categories/About-Vodka/Unflavored-Vodka-Category.aspx

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/business/08feed.html

I have done a blind taste testing of vodka, I can tell the difference between Grey Goose and Tito’s. One is made from wheat and one from corn. Not everyone has a taste for something like bud light and hasn’t a care for finer liquors. Don’t doubt those of us who do because you don’t understand it.

21 minutes ago, AtlantaAlly said:

I have done a blind taste testing of vodka, I can tell the difference between Grey Goose and Tito’s. One is made from wheat and one from corn. Not everyone has a taste for something like bud light and hasn’t a care for finer liquors. Don’t doubt those of us who do because you don’t understand it.

Not to mention some people are on a gluten free diet and can’t have any gluten which also limits which vodkas they can drink.

5 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

Another interesting thing is that we sailed on the MSC Seaside last October and the Celebrity Edge last month...neither charged us taxes for our drinks in Miami & Fort Lauderdale. 

Royal doesn't charge either. Just another NCL nickle and dime. 

4 minutes ago, CruisingNole said:

They'd be suckers if they weren't pissed about it.

I agree.  I'm just surprised how long the thread is.  Personally I'm over ncl and just trying to figure out how to use our last 2 cruise next certificates.  It's not easy.  They've become a rip off all around.

• Like 1