Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
gmbhardy

Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

 

I agree.  I'm just surprised how long the thread is.  Personally I'm over ncl and just trying to figure out how to use our last 2 cruise next certificates.  It's not easy.  They've become a rip off all around.

 

Sell them on eBay. That's what i'm doing. I've been looking hard trying to find an ok deal to use them on but there's so many better deals out there with other cruise lines that offer an even better experience that I don't want to give NCL anymore of my money. Every month they either increase a charge or start charging for something new. I've never gotten over the fact that the UBP doesn't even include bottled water. On MSC and Celebrity it was all included. Crazy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

 

I agree.  I'm just surprised how long the thread is.  Personally I'm over ncl and just trying to figure out how to use our last 2 cruise next certificates.  It's not easy.  They've become a rip off all around.

 

We booked the Celebrity Summit in April. 7 nights in a Spa Balcony (Aqua Class) with beverage package & $300 OBC from Celebrity (plus others from our TA) and it is cheaper than the cheapest basic balcony with perks on the cheapest sailing on any NCL ship for that entire month of April. The cheapest is on the Epic on the same day we're sailing on the Summit. No getting charged for taxes in port. No worrying about not having any bottled water. No worrying about paying extra to use the Spa. No worrying about having to pay to message someone else on the ship (Celebrity has it for free on their app). It's crazy that so many people are still putting up with the new NCL culture of charging for everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

Sell them on eBay. That's what i'm doing. I've been looking hard trying to find an ok deal to use them on but there's so many better deals out there with other cruise lines that offer an even better experience that I don't want to give NCL anymore of my money. Every month they either increase a charge or start charging for something new. I've never gotten over the fact that the UBP doesn't even include bottled water. On MSC and Celebrity it was all included. Crazy!

I might be willing to buy them off you guys 🙂. I'm booked for the Bliss next month (March). How much are they worth, and how much are you selling them for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

 

Sell them on eBay. That's what i'm doing. I've been looking hard trying to find an ok deal to use them on but there's so many better deals out there with other cruise lines that offer an even better experience that I don't want to give NCL anymore of my money. 

 

1 hour ago, lonzwinery said:

I might be willing to buy them off you guys 🙂. I'm booked for the Bliss next month (March). How much are they worth, and how much are you selling them for?

So when exactly did CC become Kijiji ? 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Wow, people are really pissed about this.

 

 

They are. It might be one decision that they have to walk back a bit (and may be doing that already with the posts about certain liquors being included now that were previously above the limit). It kind of reminds me of the "no buffet food taken back to the room" decision Andy made earlier.  They need to can him and Vivian Ewert if she's still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lonzwinery said:

I might be willing to buy them off you guys 🙂. I'm booked for the Bliss next month (March). How much are they worth, and how much are you selling them for?

Generally they’re worth $250 and people sell them for around $150 since that’s the net cost when purchased on the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ToAdam12 said:

Give your wife a taste test. it is all about branding nothing more

 

FYI, it is more about whats in the cheaper vodka's that makes you feel the after affects the next day.  The taste may not be that noticeable, but believe me, the way you feel after drinking "well vodka" the next day is noticeable!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our first cruise was on NCL many years ago and we were always happy with the product, so much so we made it to Platinum (this was of course before they moved those goal posts too). They innovated open dining and were one of the firsts to build in the beverage package. However, since management changed a few years ago we have seen the drip drip drip of this "nickel and dining." We were just in NYC and the drink prices were downright cheap compared to the new menus on NCL. Thankfully there is so much competition out there and we have moved most of our cruises to Celebrity with a true included drink package, included gratuities, and IMHO better overall service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

 

My wife says she can taste the difference, she prefers Grey Goose and she doesn’t care what other people think.

 

I believe you, my wife is the same!

 

Ask your wife to try Ketel One. It has a much softer, almost silky mouthfeel with less sharpness and alcohol burn when compared to grey Goose. She may enjoy it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NoleShaun said:

Our first cruise was on NCL many years ago and we were always happy with the product, so much so we made it to Platinum (this was of course before they moved those goal posts too). They innovated open dining and were one of the firsts to build in the beverage package. However, since management changed a few years ago we have seen the drip drip drip of this "nickel and dining." We were just in NYC and the drink prices were downright cheap compared to the new menus on NCL. Thankfully there is so much competition out there and we have moved most of our cruises to Celebrity with a true included drink package, included gratuities, and IMHO better overall service. 

 

Same here. We miss the good old Kevin Sheehan days...

 

My wife and I are actually going back to Carnival after nearly 7 years of sailing NCL exclusively...

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, YankeeFan4Ever said:

 

 

I believe you, my wife is the same!

 

Ask your wife to try Ketel One. It has a much softer, almost silky mouthfeel with less sharpness and alcohol burn when compared to grey Goose. She may enjoy it!

 

That’s what my wife drank in her Black Russians instead of Grey Goose. She tried a few other brands but liked Ketel One the best. She’s still hoping NCL reconsiders the price increases to drop Grey Goose below the $15 threshold again.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

 

That’s what my wife drank in her Black Russians instead of Grey Goose. She tried a few other brands but liked Ketel One the best. She’s still hoping NCL reconsiders the price increases to drop Grey Goose below the $15 threshold again.. 

 

Fingers crossed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Lionkingrichard said:

From 3 years ago. 100/200% increase?

 

NCL-Bar-Prices-1024x669.jpg

This is a scam, NCL should be ashamed. The wholesale cost of the ones that doubled in price have gone up $0. The cruisers not on UBP will never pay those prices while those on UBP may pay high $$ for the privilege of drinking upper mid range. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kenny said:

This is a scam, NCL should be ashamed. The wholesale cost of the ones that doubled in price have gone up $0. The cruisers not on UBP will never pay those prices while those on UBP may pay high $$ for the privilege of drinking upper mid range. 

Exactly . It annoys me that people seems to be happy that NCL might bring the price below the magical $15 limit . What a cynical sleazy move . Treat you customers badly and then make a small small rollback and have some feel grateful for it . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kenny said:

This is a scam, NCL should be ashamed. The wholesale cost of the ones that doubled in price have gone up $0. The cruisers not on UBP will never pay those prices while those on UBP may pay high $$ for the privilege of drinking upper mid range. 

 

At the same time they've raised the daily service charges multiple times and it used to be $79 per day for the UBP + 18% gratuity. Now it's $99 plus 20%. So even if you have the UBP included in your fare the service charges have gone up 40%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, richstowe said:

Exactly . It annoys me that people seems to be happy that NCL might bring the price below the magical $15 limit . What a cynical sleazy move . Treat you customers badly and then make a small small rollback and have some feel grateful for it . 

Right on. Unethical management decisions here. They made their bed, now they can sleep in it. I'm out. It's an accumulation of many things for me. I've turned a blind eye for the past few years, but no more. Last cruise next certificate will be used up this fall on a casino cruise. Then, what will it be.....MSC, Holland, Princess, all inclusive? Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill buy them at cost and you have no fees as with ebay and paypal you will lose 20%. They are $125 each not $150 on the ship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DaCruiseBug said:

it used to be $79 per day for the UBP + 18%

 

Once upon a time it was $59 / day + 15%.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So - since the 15% or 18% or 20% is a gratuity - then the bartenders must be getting lots of raises!

 

actually, if you read carefully, it’s “beverage service charge and gratuity”.  Anyone want to guess how little of that is a gratuity?

 

And what, exactly, is a “beverage service charge”?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, erdoran said:

So - since the 15% or 18% or 20% is a gratuity - then the bartenders must be getting lots of raises!

 

actually, if you read carefully, it’s “beverage service charge and gratuity”.  Anyone want to guess how little of that is a gratuity?

 

And what, exactly, is a “beverage service charge”?  

 

NCL pockets a majority of it, no doubt. So basically they've been raising their cruise fares and at the same time the service charge on their beverage package has gone from $123.90 per cabin per week to $277.20 per cabin per week. That's a 123% increase that they're adding to their bottom line. Some of the NCL cheerleaders will undoubtedly dispute this fact but the bar staff hasn't seen a 123% increase in their pay...not even close. $20 bucks here, $20 bucks there...and soon enough they're robbing an extra $100-200 per passenger. That's why NCL is the most profitable cruise line out there currently. Quick quick...sign up for those FREE perks. LMAO!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Outerdog said:

 

Once upon a time it was $59 / day + 15%.

 

Once upon a time the beverage package was truly just included and there was no such thing as beverage service charge and cruise fares we’re very reasonable. Here’s my first Norwegian cruise on NCL Star a 5 day back in 2015. 

930D8EDE-CAFF-460D-9F10-3180233DC105.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Georgie562 said:

Once upon a time the beverage package was truly just included and there was no such thing as beverage service charge and cruise fares we’re very reasonable. Here’s my first Norwegian cruise on NCL Star a 5 day back in 2015. 

930D8EDE-CAFF-460D-9F10-3180233DC105.jpeg

 

If you choose the beverage package as a promo both MSC and Celebrity don't charge you ANY service charge. What NCL does is highway robbery! I can understand up to $10 per day but they're charging double and using that money to cover their costs. So you pay an extra $300-400 to begin with to get the beverage package and then pay almost $200 in service charges...so basically it's as if everyone bought the package to begin with. But hey...free is free right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am happy to hear on these boards from 2 sources that NCL is reconsidering their upcharge in the UBP.  Its rare for NCL to reduce any fee due to customer and public scorning and outcry. If its true, I applaud them for reconsidering and going back to the way things were.  
Is NCL beverage package still the most over priced and most limited of all the cruise lines?
YES

Is it better if these changes go back to the way they were?
YES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...