Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

7 hours ago, Aesop081 said:

They don't have it on menu.  Don Julio Reposado is 29.95  14.95 up charge plus 3 dollar sc if you have the package.  Basically an expensive bar price.  36 bucks if you don't have the package.  Where on this PLANET would you pay that price.

Exactly.  Lets force sailaway to buy “free at sea”. If you drink

a little.  Bad business.

18 hours ago, trish4bruce said:

Does anyone knows what the cost of the Woodford Old Fashioned is?  Last year is was 17.95.   Just curious if it increased.

On Epic last week, it was $14.95 - but only at Maltings. They were my go-to cocktail. Which was reflected by the bartender starting to mix them as I walked up to the bar. 😂

On 2/9/2019 at 3:02 PM, Greenpea2 said:

Not seeing a link... is GG martini included in that? Or just a shot of it?

21 hours ago, jordan9900 said:

First night on the Breakaway at the martini bar I watched a guy have a meltdown over all the Patron prices over $15. Wasn't fun for the bartender.

20190209_132643.thumb.jpg.6b95becd33b20ab878af3c4f19d1f985.jpg

20190209_132638.jpg

20190209_132650.jpg

20190209_132655.jpg

20190209_132705.jpg

20190209_132710.jpg

5 minutes ago, jordan9900 said:

20190209_132638.jpg

20190209_132650.jpg

20190209_132655.jpg

20190209_132705.jpg

20190209_132710.jpg

6 minutes ago, jordan9900 said:

20190209_132638.jpg

20190209_132650.jpg

20190209_132655.jpg

20190209_132705.jpg

20190209_132710.jpg

Thanks again. I would suggest starting a new thread to announce the price roll back on some brands. This thread is so long now it’s lost it’s impact.

58 minutes ago, samiam0403 said:

On Epic last week, it was $14.95 - but only at Maltings. They were my go-to cocktail. Which was reflected by the bartender starting to mix them as I walked up to the bar. 😂

That is great! Maybe he can request it and ask to hold everything but the Woodford!!!   Kidding aside if the Bliss is the same as what you experienced on the Epic he will be happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adam_s_allen said:

Interesting that it looks like they are bringing the flavoured Grey Goose shots to the same price as regular Grey Goose as well. The flavoured shots have been an upcharge for years.

From a quick look through the new menu there seem to be a few that have now come below the limit which weren’t before. I’m sure that applies to some of the Scotch.

I have to say that the increase didn’t particularly affect me, as there was nothing that was above the limit which I was particularly worried about. I think that now it has ended up being a benefit to us as there are now a few extra options which are fully included.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:33 PM, gmbhardy said:

I You fully don’t understand the concept of getting “nickeled and dimed” until it punches you in the gut. I’ve posted a number of comments on this topic on two threads that are running concurrently concerning the new liquor pricing and the UBP. To reiterate, I sailed on the Biss January 12 to 19. We chose to be in the Observation Lounge for sail away as the views from that vantage point are stunning. Most of the time my wife and I choose a champagne substitute (prosecco) to toast the start of the cruise but for some reason I decided to order Grand Marnier, my favourite drink, instead. I was shocked when the bartender told me there was now an up charge for Grand Marnier (17.95). I said “since when” (I sailed on the Bliss in November) he said “starting today there is a new liquor menu in effect” and handed me one. Before even looking at it i saked him “what about Grey Goose” and he said “yes also an up charge” (19.95). I was stunned to say the least but collected myself and ordered two proseccos instead. They didn’t have any as their stock for the week had not been replenished yet. This cruise was not getting off to a very good start. Later in the week I attended the Latitudes reception so I could vent my dissatisfaction with the food and beverage manager. I asked him if NCL monitors CC discussions and he said of course they did. So then I said you must know then that the number one complaint about NCL is it’s “nickel and dime” approach to gouging customers. He didn’t quite know how to respond to that comment but instead told me about a new premium beverage package that will soon be available for an additional $28.00/day. I then told him I had six future cruises book with NCL with three being in the Haven and given what I’m paying to stay in the Haven, I can’t fathom having to pay extra for semi premium alcohol. I think our conversation ended at that point. I also noticed a few other new bar policies during the week. With virtually nobody ordering Grey Goose with the $6.00 up charge ($5 + $1 service charge) Tito’s appeared to be the vodka of choice. In the evening if a bar ran of Tito’s they made no effort to get another bottle. I’ve seen resorts in Mexico have limited inventory on some of their premium selections so unless you got there early your chance of getting some was limited. I always considered cruising to be a step above all inclusives resorts, but with changes like this it makes you wonder. Could I afford to pay a little extra for Grand Marnier? Sure I could, but I don’t feel I should have to given the price of cruising, especially in the Haven. The other issue that really bothers me is how they are able to change their product after you purchase it. The travel and tourism industry is notorious for bait and switch tactics and they continue to get away with it. Most businesses would grandfather changes like this but not the travel industry. I have been a loyal NCL customer and in all probability will continue to purchase their products, but in my opinion the NCL brand is starting to deteriorate. When you have the highest priced booze package in the industry and exclude semi premium items from it,  a lot of customers are going to be extremely unhappy. FYI I have attached photos of the new menu. Thanks for letting me vent!

8089A0D8-31DE-4123-938B-5B8C1FB32AE5.jpeg

1E18B7B6-07D6-49FE-A9D2-DA1563F4177D.jpeg

9BF9F015-93FB-4692-95EF-938D59B559E1.jpeg

F60A4963-AE1E-4D2C-BA65-DFC19CA70170.jpeg

53A87A97-C446-4554-B385-B284FAC5AF65.jpeg

9996A736-31B9-44AC-A166-DE23E8B6E6ED.jpeg

I am not a drinker and just a poor frugal traveler, however I can understand your frustration, you are a loyal customer paying a lot of money for Haven plus other services and now they just want to gouge you, it makes no business sense.

1 minute ago, Newleno said:

I am not a drinker and just a poor frugal traveler, however I can understand your frustration, you are a loyal customer paying a lot of money for Haven plus other services and now they just want to gouge you, it makes no business sense.

The new bar menu has just been posted. The price on some items including Grey Goose (all varieties) and my favourite, Grand Marnier have been reduced to fall under the $15 threshold.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 5:06 AM, KateQ22003 said:

For me, what's really burning my butt is that this increase comes on the heels of the price increases in the specialty restaurants so that platinum coupons now won't cover the total cost for most meals. I get that the goal is to get people spending more, but come on. To price items WAY above their value just to take more out of our wallets is crap.

Just off the Dawn a few weeks back, they raised the amount to $25 per person to offset menu price change.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

The new bar menu has just been posted. The price on some items including Grey Goose (all varieties) and my favourite, Grand Marnier have been reduced to fall under the $15 threshold.

Great, do you think this thread of displeasure had anything to do with it?

4 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I hope so....also it may be the email that was sent to pax explicitly stating Grey Goose and some other brands ARE INCLUDED in UBP.   Perhaps they had forgotten about that 😆  Not sure about Bacardi Superior or Jose Cuervo having an upcharge but we all know about Grey Goose....

"

From: Norwegian Communications CenterSent: September 15, 2018Subject: Beverage Packages Now On Sale

Sip on unlimited soft drinks, beers, spirits, cocktails and wines by the glass during your entire cruise for only $99 per person per day*. From classic martinis and margaritas to mojitos and piña coladas, the Ultimate Beverage Package offers a wide range of delicious cocktails made with premium spirits, including Bacardi Superior rum, Grey Goose vodka and Jose Cuervo tequila, among others."

I think it did. The food and beverage director on the Bliss said that NCL monitors Cruise Critic. An awful lot of people expressed disappointment with the new pricing and many threatened to cancel or canceled future cruises. I think they realized, from a business perspective, that it was in their best interest to mitigate the damage. I’m happy because 

our favourites are now under the threshold but many posters are still upset their beverages, per the recent increases, still exceed the threshold.

53 minutes ago, gmbhardy said:

I think it did. The food and beverage director on the Bliss said that NCL monitors Cruise Critic. An awful lot of people expressed disappointment with the new pricing and many threatened to cancel or canceled future cruises. I think they realized, from a business perspective, that it was in their best interest to mitigate the damage. I’m happy because 

our favourites are now under the threshold but many posters are still upset their beverages, per the recent increases, still exceed the threshold.

Yeah, the fact that they even tried to price beverages way, way, way in excess of cost, speaks to me about the company and the type of people running it. Plus, the specialty restaurant price increase, plus the increases to the service charge on drinks and dining, plus the increases to daily service charges, plus the ridiculous increases in base cruise fares in 2019 effectively for the same-old, same-old onboard experience.

The price reduction to select beverages does nothing to make me reconsider sailing on NCL. We have one cruise booked in the fall to burn our final cruise next certificate. Afterwards, I will look for a vacation alternative that provides better value and one that isn't interested in cash grabs at overinflated prices every time I turn a corner. And I'll be sure to tell every one I know to stay away from the rip-off of the seven seas, Norwegian Cruise Lines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Yeah, the fact that they even tried to price beverages way, way, way in excess of cost, speaks to me about the company and the type of people running it. Plus, the specialty restaurant price increase, plus the increases to the service charge on drinks and dining, plus the increases to daily service charges, plus the ridiculous increases in base cruise fares in 2019 effectively for the same-old, same-old onboard experience.

The price reduction to select beverages does nothing to make me reconsider sailing on NCL. We have one cruise booked in the fall to burn our final cruise next certificate. Afterwards, I will look for a vacation alternative that provides better value and one that isn't interested in cash grabs at overinflated prices every time I turn a corner. And I'll be sure to tell every one I know to stay away from the rip-off of the seven seas, Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I have said it many times but guess I will say it again, for me in a very general way the cruise lines are basically the same, (like airlines) I will go with the best overall value/deal.  Our last 3 cruises have been on NCL because the overall cost (taking megabus to nyc sure beats round trip airfare), we had a stretch of cruises about 4 years ago where everything was HAL, also had a stretch on Carnival, etc...  We have never had a bad cruise on any cruise line. 

• Like 1

I have said it many times but guess I will say it again, for me in a very general way the cruise lines are basically the same, (like airlines) I will go with the best overall value/deal.  Our last 3 cruises have been on NCL because the overall cost (taking megabus to nyc sure beats round trip airfare), we had a stretch of cruises about 4 years ago where everything was HAL, also had a stretch on Carnival, etc...  We have never had a bad cruise on any cruise line. 

Many of NCL's drink prices are almost double their competition. They've done a fine job of distinguishing themselves from their competition.....and not in a positive way. I am more careful about where I spend my money. I run away from  management that makes unethical management decisions.

• Like 1

OK , so they rolled back a few of their outrageous price hikes to less outrageous prices . Sound of one hand clapping . Now what are their plans concerning the new Premium Plus drink program . Obviously their plan was to push people towards this upcharge scheme . Buying this extra plan will be less of a "necessity" for many .I wonder what the next step will be .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phaedrus78 said:

Well, hell.  If I'd have gone a couple weeks later, I could have been having my shots of Patron Silver rather than 1800.

Oh well.  You know what?  I adjusted and I still had a great time.  

I drank a ton of it on the pearl over new years.  I guess they got the new menu early.  I thought they were rolling back from that and maybe include coffee.  But no the new thing sucks as well.  Prohibits cash buyers from being able to get a decent drink.  

2 minutes ago, resetjet said:

I drank a ton of it on the pearl over new years.  I guess they got the new menu early.  I thought they were rolling back from that and maybe include coffee.  But no the new thing sucks as well.  Prohibits cash buyers from being able to get a decent drink.  

The new menu with the price increases was rolled out on the Bliss on Jan.12/2019.

Anyone know the price for espresso or chocolate martini’s. The last few cruises the were $17.95. My favorite drink is the espresso but did not get any last few cruises because of the up charge. Not that the extra cost was an issue but it annoyed me that the price went up so high since UBP started. It is the principle. Last cruise was a 14 night and between the gratuities for the UBP and the cost of choosing a room vs sail away I was not willing to pay anymore for drinks.