Not Happy with Liquor Up Charges

gmbhardy

4 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

This is ridiculous.  When can we all stop speculating and hounding on board passengers about current prices?  Is this what it has come down to?

Apparently NCL is remaining mute and want all their passengers (and bartenders) to be surprised upon boarding their next cruise!  As advertised, NCL offers a great cruise experience (lots of FREE AT SEA to attract the unsuspected also). I suggest we all wait to board and find out the surprise when we get there!  I love surprises!  Don't you?

🙄

No.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This random game with the prices is also very telling. Belvedere was in UBP a few years ago, then it was out, then it was back in a year ago, now it is back out. Grey Goose was in UBP in December 2018  at 9.95 then out for a month in 2019 at 19.95  now back in again at 14.95. Flavored grey goose was out for a long time, now in. In December 2018 Bombay was 9.95 then in January 2019 went over $15, now back to $12, etc. It is very haphazard and apparently has no relationship to cost. They are just monkeying with prices randomly in order to make an extra buck or two. Very telling to educated consumers.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1

As far as UBP and Grey Goose I don’t care, I do mixed drinks and it doesn’t affect me...but there’s a principle here and THAT I care about.  I paid for “free” grey goose and all of a sudden it isn’t free.  What’s next?  ALL meals will have a $2.95 plus 20% autograt upcharge?  That’s where they are headed...

in one of the threads there was a definition of “ripoff” being “you pay for one thing but don’t get what you paid for”.  That’s how I see what WAS done to UBP because of no grandfathering.  

I’m really glad NCL saw the light and chose to walk away from the bait & switch they had done on UBP.  I hope they have learned from this.

When I buy a product, I know what I am buying—I am an informed buyer —and I expect to get what I paid for.  No more—but no less.  This UBP fiasco counts as “less”.  When someone pays $$$, whether it’s Haven or inside cabin, they’re still entitled to the product they bought, not a cheapened version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, teamflames said:

For those who say my drink is still available or drinks are not important to us just remember if they get these ridiculous policies through what is valuable to you is next.

When something that I value is either deleted or raised to a price that I feel is unfair, I'll voice my displeasure, but so far the prices of alcohol is not on that list.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

When something that I value is either deleted or raised to a price that I feel is unfair, I'll voice my displeasure, but so far the prices of alcohol is not on that list.

Sure but don’t be upset if you get no support even if people agree with your principle. This is not simply about drinks, this is about lowering an already agreed offering without communicating it. Ncl has done this numerous times over the last 2 years, judging by this thread as an example they might have just found the tipping point for their customers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, teamflames said:

Sure but don’t be upset if you get no support even if people agree with your principle. This is not simply about drinks, this is about lowering an already agreed offering without communicating it. Ncl has done this numerous times over the last 2 years, judging by this thread as an example they might have just found the tipping point for their customers.

I'm not looking for support, just posting my opinion.  Maybe the tipping point for some, but I would bet not for all.

For all the "Naysayers" that said complaining would never amount to anything, it appears that it does not hurt to let our voices be heard.  I am not naive enough to think this will stick forever, but at least for the time being they appear to have changed course to a certain degree.  It never hurts to send an email with your thoughts.  I sent an email a few weeks ago recieved a response that basically said we are sorry you don't like the change; if you choose to sail with us in the future, let us know and we will have a plate of stawberries waiting in your room.  As delicious as the strawberries are, I would much have preferred an email saying they are reconsidering their terrible business decision. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, pitz0005 said:

For all the "Naysayers" that said complaining would never amount to anything, it appears that it does not hurt to let our voices be heard.  <Clipped> I sent an email a few weeks ago recieved a response that basically said we are sorry you don't like the change; if you choose to sail with us in the future, let us know and we will have a plate of stawberries waiting in your room.  As delicious as the strawberries are, I would much have preferred an email saying they are reconsidering their terrible business decision. 

To that end, I mailed a letter expressing my ire at the unannounced switch from the offer made that expressly included named “premium” liquor, I acknowledged their “right” to change things at anytime but that they should consider aligning their prices to be in line with their peers and for SURE drop the “free at sea” language as it is insulting to those of us who can do math.   (It was worded better that that.). 

My point is, now is not the time to breathe a sigh of relief...now is the time for customers to be heard.   They are entitled to profit but when customers jump ship (sorry) they must be reasonable.  

Edited by TPgal
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 7:29 PM, OceanBlueWaters said:

This is ridiculous.  When can we all stop speculating and hounding on board passengers about current prices?  Is this what it has come down to?

Apparently NCL is remaining mute and want all their passengers (and bartenders) to be surprised upon boarding their next cruise!  As advertised, NCL offers a great cruise experience (lots of FREE AT SEA to attract the unsuspected also). I suggest we all wait to board and find out the surprise when we get there!  I love surprises!  Don't you?

🙄

I'm on the Breakaway now and Ultimate Vodka is not a part of the Ultimate Beverage Package 😄

On 2/12/2019 at 4:46 PM, gmbhardy said:

That’s really interesting. One poster said that at the beginning of the cruise the old menus (with the increase) hadn’t been replaced yet but the bartenders were charging according to the roll back. I wonder if that’s the case on the Escape.

Yes that was me, they changed the drink menus to include more.  We have been invited to a Cruise Critic feedback meeting tomorrow with the Hotel Director. Should I mention this board?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jordan9900 said:

Yes that was me, they changed the drink menus to include more.  We have been invited to a Cruise Critic feedback meeting tomorrow with the Hotel Director. Should I mention this board?

Yes, definitely. If you can show him the thread that might reinforce the level of disconnect (51,000 views and 860 views). It can’t hurt.

17 minutes ago, jordan9900 said:

100% and ask for Belvedere vodka to be re-instated please

57 minutes ago, jordan9900 said:

I would raise the issue of the prices on some booze doubling over the last year and the perception "buy one thing, but what is being delivered is less than what was purchased", plus how the booze prices compare over other cruise lines & five star hotels - very telling comparison.  But - praise for NCL realizing it was a mistake and acting on it as well; people & companies do make mistakes and it's great when they realize it and fix them.

1 hour ago, jordan9900 said:

Just remember that he doesn't make the decisions, corporate does and approach it with that in mind.

1 hour ago, jordan9900 said:

Could you ask if the new prices are fleet wide?  Wondering about the Bliss specifically.

When we were on the Getaway in October, a bartender told us the UBP "value" was being raised from 89/pp/pd to 99/pp/pd which I figured was to just collect an additional gratuity/service charge, but he also said he thought it would come with more drinks available on the UBP like Hendrick's Gin, which went from $14.95 2 years ago to $16.95 last year to now $19.95. We got on the Bliss in December to see more upcharges, not less.  

The whole bottle is $35.  There is a serious issue when a bottle of $35 gin is considered super premium and raised $5 in a year, and the UBP raised as well. When we started cruising in 2016, we paid about $200 for the service charges on the UBP.  It is now up to about $275 with a smaller selection. We still get it because my husband likes his beverages on a cruise, but the constant upcharges and ridiculous pricing on some liquor brands makes us less likely to book with NCL in the future if they continue raising their pricing.  We love the vibe of NCL but when you know they are gouging you on pricing, it makes it less enjoyable. If we chose not to do the UBP, the individual cost of a lot of the drinks is ridiculous! 

2 hours ago, jordan9900 said:

They must know about CC members opinion's on this issue .

45 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Just remember that he doesn't make the decisions, corporate does and approach it with that in mind.

Good point but I don't know how that would change ones approach to talking to the Hotel Director . 

Edited by richstowe

8 minutes ago, richstowe said:

They must know about CC members opinion's on this issue .

Good point but I don't know how that would change ones approach to talking to the Hotel Director . 

I have been to M&G's and sometimes an officer would announce that there would be a feedback meeting later in the cruise. It is also good to attend and bring up issues, if not they would think everything was fabulous. There is no need to be concern about whether Miami decision makers will take corrective action. 

5 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Exactly true.

The senior management on board are pretty nice people, and I think they really do work hard to make the guests happy.  The hotel director can field complaints and maybe give you a bottle of wine and/or dinner at Cagneys, but that's about it. All policy is made by Miami. I would still share your concerns, onboard, as I have done before.

Guest services onboard NCL has very little authority to resolve anything. They are more like directory assistance. They won't own an issue and they'll just shop you around to someone else.

I find the executive offices in Miami just tow the corporate line and they are very cold. They are definitely closer to executive shoreside management, and frankly, they couldn't care less about customer service. Customers can write a letter and never even get a return response or acknowledgement. NCL is one of the worst, if not the worst, when it comes to post-cruise feedback and issue resolution.

Edited by blcruising

One time I attended one of these feedback meetings and to our surprise they made a representive that was on that sailing from the Coroporate office also attend. I wouldn't expect it because we all were surprised but it was a good surprise. They will at least take good notes to pass on.