Hawaii 10 day Journeys- Questions

Xmansmom

I have a few questions for anyone who has been on this cruise:

1. How many elegant/Formal nights are there? and which nights are they?

2. Do you have a funtimes (I searched and couldn't find these)

3. Any nights that have special events?

4. Anything special that I need to make sure I don't miss?

Thanks

There aren't any 10 day cruises to Hawaii.  It takes a minimum of 14.  Unless you are on a Journeys cruise, there are only two elegant nights.  Journeys cruises have three, so I hear.  Or are you on a cruise to or from Vancouver, not Long Beach?  EM

Edited by Essiesmom

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

There aren't any 10 day cruises to Hawaii.  It takes a minimum of 14.  Unless you are on a Journeys cruise, there are only two elegant nights.  Journeys cruises have three, so I hear.  Or are you on a cruise to or from Vancouver, not Long Beach?  EM

They do have 10, 11, 14 15, &16 day cruises. The 10 & 11 day are one-way trips. 

We are on the 10 day starting in Honolulu and ending in Vancouver. Yes it is a Journeys cruise. I heard there was 3 on Journeys too but thought that might only be on a longer Journeys cruise. Which is why I asked to see if anyone had been on the 10 day before.

I did the 11 day from Vancouver to Hawaii last fall.  It was a wonderful trip.  I really enjoyed the fact that they had a Naturalist on-board just like you do for Alaska trips.  The naturalist led a morning walk and it started with a short lecture every morning.  I also loved that the Naturalist scheduled star gazing at night.  It was wonderful to learn about the constellations.  The port talks by the Naturalists were very different as well.....no shopping push here!  She spent the time teaching us about what was really special for each location we were visiting.  Our Journey cruise to Hawaii was awesome,

Another fun event was they had Hawaiian themed crafts on most days.  These events were free, but they usually ran out of supplies every day, so go early to ensure you get a spot.  They made leis with fresh flowers (early in the cruise) and we weaved bracelets out of some kind of dried plant etc.  These were fun events that we enjoyed.  Don't miss them!

They also had  progressive ukulele playing lessons and hulu lesson.  Be sure to get involved in the beginning so you can take part in there events.  We didn't and I regretted it. 

This Journey cruise made me feel more like a world traveler than just a "cruiser" if that makes any sense. 

We rented a condo in Oahu and stayed 5 days post trip.  I highly recommend doing this as well. Exploring the island at our leisure was a fabulous addition to the cruise. 

Sorry, I didn't keep any funtimes and I didn't pay any attention to formal nights.Kim

11 hours ago, NoName said:

I did the 11 day from Vancouver to Hawaii last fall.  It was a wonderful trip.  I really enjoyed the fact that they had a Naturalist on-board just like you do for Alaska trips.  The naturalist led a morning walk and it started with a short lecture every morning.  I also loved that the Naturalist scheduled star gazing at night.  It was wonderful to learn about the constellations.  The port talks by the Naturalists were very different as well.....no shopping push here!  She spent the time teaching us about what was really special for each location we were visiting.  Our Journey cruise to Hawaii was awesome,

Another fun event was they had Hawaiian themed crafts on most days.  These events were free, but they usually ran out of supplies every day, so go early to ensure you get a spot.  They made leis with fresh flowers (early in the cruise) and we weaved bracelets out of some kind of dried plant etc.  These were fun events that we enjoyed.  Don't miss them!

They also had  progressive ukulele playing lessons and hulu lesson.  Be sure to get involved in the beginning so you can take part in there events.  We didn't and I regretted it. 

This Journey cruise made me feel more like a world traveler than just a "cruiser" if that makes any sense. 

We rented a condo in Oahu and stayed 5 days post trip.  I highly recommend doing this as well. Exploring the island at our leisure was a fabulous addition to the cruise.  

Sorry, I didn't keep any funtimes and I didn't pay any attention to formal nights.Kim

We will be in Oahu for 6 days before the cruise. Staying at a cottage on the beach close to the north end.

Hi Xmansmom

I just wanted to say we are also doing the Hawaii to Vancouver in April!  We have never sailed Carnival before or anywhere not the Caribbean- I love to do lots of research before we go but I am having trouble finding a lot of information on formal nights, menus, activities, etc.  I would love to hear what you have learned so far!!  We are in Oahu April 15-19 before we go....

Hubby and I did the 10 day Journey Hawaii Cruise out of Vancouver 1.5 yrs ago on Legend.  This April I’m taking my Mom, and doing the reverse trip, flying back to Vancouver.

There were 3 elegant nights, and on our trip one of those nights had a “Meet the Captain and other Senior Crew” event.  This free event was held in the Theatre, where roving waiters offered wine, beer or Mai Tai drinks and finger size appetizers.  The ship crew sat on stage and answered questions from the crowd.

This cruise also offered a behind the scenes galley tour (free but limited availability, I think it was a show up at specific time vs needing tickets), this was either the day before or day of the 80’s throwback midnight buffet gala.  This Gala Buffet opens the doors a bit before the actual start time for cruisers to view and take photos while the food is still pretty to see.  We didn’t eat, but I did go for the preview, it was beautiful with ice carvings, very elaborately decorated cakes, lots of salads and such.

The onboard Naturalist was interesting to listen to, these info sessions are held in the Theatre where they use the big screen for slide show type presentations.  If you happen to miss one, don’t worry, they are recorded and shown on the stateroom tv a few times.

While we were sailing near the active volcano Kilauea, our Captain had special permission to sail closer to the lava flows than normal, to offer us a wonderful night time view.  This was announced in advance to allow all passengers a chance to view and take photos.  One of the professional photographers from the ship took some amazing photos which were available for purchase (these were on display at the Photo Centre).

I think that once or twice the evening entertainment in the Theatre featured local entertainment, hula, music and such.

My advice is to really study the daily Fun Times that is delivered to your stateroom.

My best advice is to have fun! And don’t fret if you can’t fit everything into your day, enjoy the relaxation of being on a ship in paradise.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:46 AM, StephC1217 said:

Hi Xmansmom

I just wanted to say we are also doing the Hawaii to Vancouver in April!  We have never sailed Carnival before or anywhere not the Caribbean- I love to do lots of research before we go but I am having trouble finding a lot of information on formal nights, menus, activities, etc.  I would love to hear what you have learned so far!!  We are in Oahu April 15-19 before we go....

We've done other Journeys Cruises, Hawaii, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, just not the 10 day one.  On our other Journeys cruises we had different menus each night.  Rarely was an entree repeated, when they were is was in a different presentation ie Beef Wellington was served two different ways.  Some sea days you might have breakfast and lunch, not brunch.  Three Formal nights- 2 regular and one on the Throwback Sea Day. At night there'll probably be three sets of comedians, Fly On entertainment, Naturalist, Fun Academy.  During the day activities have regular (Hairy chest contest etc) and special Journeys stuff (ballroom dance classes).  Last Journeys cruise the ED scheduled a no host knitting/craft circle.   

We will be on the 4/10/20 cruise from Honolulu. The ship doesn't sail until 11pm - we are wondering what is the latest time we can board with such a late sailing? We normally try to board as soon as possible to get the vacation started, but with such a late sail time might want to use the day to do something in Honolulu. Or are there special things going on aboard ship so we'd want to be there? We wouldn't want to miss anything!

• 3 weeks later...

Xmansmom, please do come back after your cruise and do a review or give us some info!  We're booked on this cruise for 2020.  I'm curious how people are going to dress for this cruise.  Typical cruise wear or more Hawaiian themed?  I'm wondering about elegant nights as well as casual nights.  I have a request in for a timeshare resort in Maui for the week prior to our cruise so we will have plenty of time to shop for Hawaiian clothes if it's a thing.  😊

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, Xmansmom said:

Cruisemom2, I will definitely come back and write a review. I love to share. 🙂

We too are on the April 2020 cruise, so I'll be anxious to see your review. We currently have a port side balcony so I'd like to know which side would be better for island viewing in case I'd want to switch.

I think there are a few of us anxiously waiting for Xmansmom to go on her cruise and report back.  lol  CCRUZER, we too have a port side balcony for the April 2020 cruise and wondered the same thing.  But we're not changing now because we're booked in 7258 with a super long balcony.  We have a request in for a Hyatt timeshare in Maui, but if we don't get it we'll need to decide whether to stay in Maui or Oahu the week before the cruise.  Oahu would be easier so I may start looking for a hotel there that I can cancel if my wait list comes through. I'm so excited about this trip!  🙂

2 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

I think there are a few of us anxiously waiting for Xmansmom to go on her cruise and report back.  lol  CCRUZER, we too have a port side balcony for the April 2020 cruise and wondered the same thing.  But we're not changing now because we're booked in 7258 with a super long balcony.  We have a request in for a Hyatt timeshare in Maui, but if we don't get it we'll need to decide whether to stay in Maui or Oahu the week before the cruise.  Oahu would be easier so I may start looking for a hotel there that I can cancel if my wait list comes through. I'm so excited about this trip!  🙂

Wow, I see on the deck plan that 7258 is indeed an extra long balcony...lucky you! We're just down the hall, but sadly, only a regular size balcony. When I check hotels it seems to still be a bit early for booking.

• Like 1

From experience, yes here are 3.

When I was researching our Journeys to Hawaii for September 2017, the regular Customer Agents didn’t know.  Our VP and others who had previously sailed the same cruise knew it would be 3.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:56 AM, CCRUZER said:

Wow, I see on the deck plan that 7258 is indeed an extra long balcony...lucky you! We're just down the hall, but sadly, only a regular size balcony. When I check hotels it seems to still be a bit early for booking.

I was super excited to find that cabin when we booked.  I hope it's not too cold to enjoy the balcony but we can take blankets out there if we need to.  🙂  Yesterday I started going through TripAdvisor looking at hotels and marking some as favorites so I have an idea of what to expect when they become available to book, probably next month.