Cruise Critic Community
goofygal531

Carnival Horizon Debarkation Time

We have a 12:50 pm flight out of Fort Lauderdale the morning we get off the Horizon in Miami.  I have a shuttle arranged from SAS Transportation to get us to the airport.

We prefer to do self-assist off the ship. We have FTTF, staying in a cove balcony. I’d like to get breakfast before we leave the ship. My husband has a tendency to get us off the ship the second we’re all clear. Off the Sunshine at Port Canaveral one year, he had us sitting in an Orlando restaurant for breakfast by 8am!  I don’t want to rush, I know we don’t really need to. Never done this particular arrangement before, can some one give me a suggested timeline? I’d like to head to the main dining room for breakfast when they open at 6:30 am that morning. What time do they begin calling self assist? 

I agree with Hubby that first off is ideal, I do prefer the lower crowds. I just would like a decent breakfast before we run! He usually grabs us random items off the Lido and this one time I’d like to have a peaceful morning! The one and only time I enjoyed a last breakfast was on a Disney cruise where you’re assigned to a main dining room for breakfast. 😁

Having debarked from the Horizon yesterday, and DW being platinum, we had a #1 Priority for debarking.

The ship docked at 6AM.  At 6:30AM the Ocean Plaza was filling with self assists.  At 7 AM when we left our Havana cabin, the Ocean Plaza was empty. We did have to wait on elevators to the Lobby Deck, Deck 3.  However, Carnival was directing people to elevators and manually running them. We we got to The Reflections meetup point for paltiumn diamond cruisers, they were still sitting. We walked on off. Luggage was arriving. 3 of our bags were there.  The porter went back and found the other two. We were zipped through customs and despite the rain, caught our shuttle to offsite parking loaded up and were on the road by 8:30AM.  We passed FLL around 9AM.

Not saying that was everyone's experience who has cruised on the Horizon, but if you situation is simliar in timing.  You'll have no issues with a 12:30 flight.

I do caution that with the government shut down, you may experience delays in getting through airport security.  Some airports are closing TSA Pre-Check and reducing the number of other security portals.

So you left your cabin at 7am? Did you stop for breakfast? I’m wondering how to fit breakfast in.

What time would self assist FTTF deck 2 be allowed off?

Regarding the airport, just last night on evening news they said if this shutdown is not over soon, by 2/1 they will be halting all air travel. So that’s a whole nother topic for another thread!

We had breakfast on the Ocean Plaza buffet. Opened at 6:30.

Grabbed a plate and took it back to cabin.  Note we were in the Havana cabins so no need to trudge up to Lido.

I would never book a flight that close, but if that's all you've got, the last thing I'd worry about is breakfast! could always grab something at the airport. Better safe then sorry when it comes to missing flights!  Go with your husband on this one. 🙂