Select Dining Questions; Shore Excursion Questions

mariners

We are part of a group of 12 family and friends who will be sailing on the Solstice.  We have all chosen Select Dining so that everyone has the flexibility to decide where and when to dine in the evenings.  After reading some of the comments on this board, I am wondering if Select Dining for groups is typically dining that is pre-booked for each night at a set time?   Are we likely to run into problems just showing up at a time we'd like to dine with whatever number of people are choosing to dine in the MDR?  If we are likely to run into problems, what suggestions, if any, do you have so that dining can be kept as flexible as possible?  

Our group have also booked a couple of excursions through Celebrity.  How does one make sure that we get to go on the same bus for an excursion?  

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.

Question One: We have done Select Dining the past couple years always meet another couple early in the cruise we and made reservations with the Maitre' D to dine at with same couple at same table and same wait staff for the remainder of cruise.

We have discovered that Select is less personal, you get a different wait staff and table each night, don't take a chance dining with someone that is not pleasant.

Question Two: If you take an excursion it's always first come first serve as far as boarding buses, you may also experience seat hogs and then will definately  be split up on a different bus.

I'm about to take my first Celebrity cruise, but have cruised for years on Royal Caribbean. We always choose the flexible dining option, but make a standing reservation. (It's always possible to change it on board.) That way we get to choose what time we want to eat - not too early, not too late - and who we want to eat with. We get the same table and same servers each night. It provides us the benefits of traditional dining while providing us some flexibility. I enjoyed traditional dining most of the time, but there are nights when no one else shows up at the table and it's awkward to be a party of two eating at a table for eight. 

definitely make reservations for the same time (if possible) prior to the cruise.  Once you get on board, find the dining room maitre d' and explain that you are 12 in a group...and give him the time (most of) you have reserved.  We have done this with 8 people and they always had the table ready at 6:30 (we wanted 7, but they said they could do 6:30 so we said ok)....in fact, we didn't even have to check in, we just went to the table.  Every cruise is different though...so see the maitre d' ASAP.

Thanks for your responses.  I'll let the group know what you have suggested.  The group might also be happy to have two tables of six as it's much easier to talk with a smaller number of people.  If the tables are close together, we could have the same wait staff.  

Is one person permitted to get the bus numbers for the other people in the group going on a Celebrity excursion or does each person have to pick up the number?  

I person usually goes to the table and  gets the  tix for 2 people  for excursions..    I do not think they will let one person get them for all of you as you must be present to check in. Best to inquire ahead..

If you ALL get there early and can get the same stickers you,'ll be on the same bus.  We do that if we are meeting up with friends.. Arrive together, get same # sticker..same bus!