Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

Hi Carnival Cruisers,

"Carnival advocate on the boards" is here with a research based on available information on the newest and largest Carnival ship.

"Carnival Cruisers" is a large part of the cruising community.

It may be helpful to know more about a new ship at the earlier stage of construction.

We can let cruise lines hear what we like and dislike about the new projects.

There will be a chance that cruise lines listen to us, and do some changes to make new ships more enjoyable and successful.

Carnival Mardi Gras Cruise Ship In-Depth Preview: hits and misses, cabins, ship's plan, open decks, BOLT roller coaster, Havana Cabanas prospective, etc.:

Carnival is launching four giant 184,000 GT cruise ships over next two years. Four brands under Carnival Corp. umbrella will get their largest ever ships: Carnival Mardi Gras, AIDAnova, P&O Iona, and Costa Smeralda.

While loosely based on the same platform, each of the Big Four will have some visible  "tweaks" to keep them in line with the brands' specifics.

With this Big Four Carnival is entering a new "super-mass market" category (vs mass market).

What Carnival Mardi Gras is going to be? 
How will it handle 5,200 guests on board?

Please share your thoughts.
Edited by ronbe65

Pretty negative "review" if you ask me. The only "facts" in it aren't even 100% sure yet, but are already telling you to hate the amount of space and layout. All you get in the dining section is a cookie-cutter view of every other Carnival offering. How could anyone get excited from this video? 

The only "gem" it could find is something I personally don't like. My last two rooms were very square-like. The space around the bed was useless. I would actually prefer a longer room (same square footage) that can fit a couch.

I do have concerns about some crowding on this in specific areas. I don't feel this video properly addressed that though. 184,000 vs 225,000 it is obvious which one is bigger. It is not the be all end all though. No matter how big a ship is, a smaller Comedy club won't help. How many venues are there, including new ones to help customer flow? What is the net tonnage? I'll still wait to hold my judgement.

Edited by Joebucks

1 hour ago, memoak said:

That many passenger is too too many for me - I'll take a pass

Interested as to what you cutoff number is?

Edited by jimbo5544

2 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Hi Carnival Cruisers,

"Carnival advocate on the boards" is here with a research based on available information on the newest and largest Carnival ship.

"Carnival Cruisers" is a large part of the cruising community.

It may be helpful to know more about a new ship at the earlier stage of construction.

We can let cruise lines hear what we like and dislike about the new projects.

There will be a chance that cruise lines listen to us, and do some changes to make new ships more enjoyable and successful.

Carnival Mardi Gras Cruise Ship In-Depth Preview: hits and misses, cabins, ship's plan, open decks, BOLT roller coaster, Havana Cabanas prospective, etc.:

Carnival is launching four giant 184,000 GT cruise ships over next two years. Four brands under Carnival Corp. umbrella will get their largest ever ships: Carnival Mardi Gras, AIDAnova, P&O Iona, and Costa Smeralda.

While loosely based on the same platform, each of the Big Four will have some visible  "tweaks" to keep them in line with the brands' specifics.

With this Big Four Carnival is entering a new "super-mass market" category (vs mass market).

What Carnival Mardi Gras is going to be? 
How will it handle 5,200 guests on board?

Please share your thoughts.

Where are you the advocate of Carnival? 

15 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Pretty negative "review" if you ask me. The only "facts" in it aren't even 100% sure yet, but are already telling you to hate the amount of space and layout. All you get in the dining section is a cookie-cutter view of every other Carnival offering. How could anyone get excited from this video? 

The only "gem" it could find is something I personally don't like. My last two rooms were very square-like. The space around the bed was useless. I would actually prefer a longer room (same square footage) that can fit a couch.

I do have concerns about some crowding on this in specific areas. I don't feel this video properly addressed that though. 184,000 vs 225,000 it is obvious which one is bigger. It is not the be all end all though. No matter how big a ship is, a smaller Comedy club won't help. How many venues are there, including new ones to help customer flow? What is the net tonnage? I'll still wait to hold my judgement.

....as maybe the “Carnival advocate” should have as well....

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Interested as to what you cutoff number is?

Not much more then 3,500 - I really miss the small ships, I am not a fan of the mega ships.  I mostly cruise the Grand class of Princess ships

I have been on the Allure OTS, and depending how space is set up, you really don’t feel the amount of people. Of course, certain events will be more crowded than others, so I just avoid those.  I can always find a quiet place to get away from people.

There is something for everybody in the cruising world.

19 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I have been on the Allure OTS, and depending how space is set up, you really don’t feel the amount of people. Of course, certain events will be more crowded than others, so I just avoid those.  I can always find a quiet place to get away from people.

I do agree. Ships layout means a lot.

NCL Breakaway and Bliss have the same capacity, but they are so different in terms of comfort and private space on their open decks.

19 hours ago, crzndeb said:

There is something for everybody in the cruising world.

I agree but Allure has a space ratio of 36.  With the numbers published so far on Mardi Gras, the ratio is looking like 27.  I think this is going to be a wait-and-see situation but a ratio in the 20s is very concerning.  

Then again, ratios in the 20s are normal for Carnival and folks say ships like Sunshine don't feel too crowded.

Here's the list I'm using as reference.  

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

Aquahound, thanks for the link.

This source presents rather misleading info. Normally double occupancy numbers are used for "space ratio" calculation.

The issue is more complex. They have to look at the ships, not just blindly divide tonnage by number of passengers.

And we need to remember that "space ratio" is actually "internal space ratio" as it does not include open space. 

For instance, they include Celebrity Edge verandas in the "space ratio", so the Edge looks more spacious by numbers than the Solstice - total mess.

They seem to be confused by themselves: "if your ship has generally smaller cabins but very large public spaces, she will have a higher space ratio".

Thanks for prompting an idea to do some work on this. 🙂

Edited by ronbe65

A new release by Carnival today.

Wow!

The Atrium will be word for word what is "projected" in the video review (would love to see the other side too):

mardi-gras-grand-central-lighbox.jpg

So is the aft promenade on Deck 8:

mardi-gras-summer-landing-lightbox.jpg

The water slide & splash area are as expected:

mardi-gras-ultimate-playground-lightbox.

But the central pool area does not show improvements so far..:

mardi-gras-lido-lightbox.jpg

Happy cruising!

26 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

But the central pool area does not show improvements so far..:

mardi-gras-lido-lightbox.jpg

Happy cruising!

I disagree. That pool is much larger than the main pool on Breeze/Horizon. Also not 3 decks high around it so I see an improvement. The press release also mentioned a pool and hot tub on the promenade/aft section.

46 minutes ago, nyroadrunner said:

I disagree. That pool is much larger than the main pool on Breeze/Horizon. Also not 3 decks high around it so I see an improvement. The press release also mentioned a pool and hot tub on the promenade/aft section.

I looked at the deck plans for the P&O Iona, and they show an Infinity pool on the Aft end.  That could be cool- it could also be a part of the Havana section if they chose to do it Aft like on the Vista

2 hours ago, joy4ron said:

I looked at the deck plans for the P&O Iona, and they show an Infinity pool on the Aft end.  That could be cool- it could also be a part of the Havana section if they chose to do it Aft like on the Vista

The idea of an "infinity pool" is pretty much on the surface. But for some reason Mardi Gras designers did not let their imagination soar. There will be a "regular" aft pool.

Havana will be in the forward part.

Aft+pool.jpg

11 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

The idea of an "infinity pool" is pretty much on the surface. But for some reason Mardi Gras designers did not let their imagination soar. There will be a "regular" aft pool.

Havana will be in the forward part.

Aft+pool.jpg

What kind of pool is at the very aft part of deck 8?  Looks like it goes to the edge, a la an infinity pool.  The image you posted above is the pool and "spas" on deck 16.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

What kind of pool is at the very aft part of deck 8?  Looks like it goes to the edge, a la an infinity pool.  The image you posted above is the pool and "spas" on deck 16.

The picture above is Aft Pool" on deck 16.

There will be two pools on the ship.

Cruise lines love to use a word "pool" for large (or even small - like on Royal Princess) 3-4 ft deep tubs, with or without small a few inches "splash" area.

Technically no pools are possible on deck 8.

It may be a large tub similar to what we see on the Vista-Horizon.

2 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Technically no pools are possible on deck 8.

It may be a large tub similar to what we see on the Vista-Horizon.

Have you seen the leaked deck plans?  There is unused space at the aft of deck 7, right below where the suspect "pool" on deck 8 is located.  That to me looks like they left room for a pool of some useful depth.  Please explain how "technically no pools are possible on deck 8".

P&O Iona has the same configuration for her infinity pool (which is on deck 16).

Just trying to understand what you've said.

I mean "swimming pool". Theoretically a pool can be arranged anywhere on the ship if there is enough space below the deck.

I see that unused space on deck 7.

If they decide to use this space for an "infinity pool", then yes, there will be a small pool (for which I vote). I do agree with you that it's likely.

Edited by ronbe65

8 hours ago, nyroadrunner said:

Nyroadrunner,

You are right about 3 (actually 2) decks high around on the Breeze/Horizon. I don't like it either (except the Splendor that has its own atmosphere there).

One deck high around isn't that heavy, annoying surrounding.

However the pool itself doesn't look much larger on Mardi Gras previews. We should note that computer renderings usually look much better than the reality.

Breeze+Central+Pool.jpg

Edited by ronbe65

Now that the MARDI GRAS deck plans are released, I've really enjoyed comparing her to her counterparts at P&O (IONA), Costa (SMERALDA), and Aida (NOVA).  Basically all the same ship platform but each customized for the individual brands.  Some things are pretty consistent between all the ships, but the layout does vary sometimes to a great extent.  

MARDI GRAS seems to most resemble P&O's IONA in layout and amenities.  IONA does have one major advantage, a forward observation lounge that looks stunning.  Carnival has decided to place cabins in the same space.  I do wish Carnival had observation lounges, but for whatever reason they never have.  Especially now that a connection to the sea is very much back in vogue.  

One thing is certain, these are all high density ships with a LOT of cabins.  I sure hope they are designed well (like the Oasis Class) and don't feel too crowded or have too many bottlenecks.  Carnival is basically copying Royal Caribbean's neighborhood concept of the Oasis Class, and calling them Zones on MARDI GRAS.  It's worked well for Royal Caribbean in keeping the Oasis Class feeling uncrowded.  There are just so many places to go, and they are all quite separated.  Truly different neighborhoods.  I don't see that separation looking at the MARDI GRAS deck plan, but you can only get so much from that.  

I do look forward to sailing MARDI GRAS, and I absolutely love the name.  Maybe they will even go retro with the daily planner and call them Carnival Capers again.  I miss that!   It's really refreshing to see a brand new design for Carnival, instead of another Destiny Class derivative which dates back decades.  

Edited by eroller

One odd thing I'll add comparing the deck plans is deck 4.  This should be a full deck of cabins, but for some reason it's blank on the deck plans I've seen of MARDI GRAS so far.  All the ships of this class have two full decks of cabins in the hull, below the lowest public rooms deck.  I don't think MARDI GRAS will be any different, but for some reason that deck has been omitted on the plans released so far.  I don't expect anything special to be there, just more cabins.  

17 minutes ago, msbuttercuo said:

Any speculation on the possible itinerary? How likely is it Mardi Gras will visit Cuba?

Currently too large I believe for Cuba.  

I just don't want to sail on a ship with that many Carnival cruisers.  If I'm going mega, I'm going Royal Caribbean.