Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Did you watch your own video? There is a lot of time spent complaining about cabins, and their design, as well as the exhaust stack location, without having ever stepped foot on board. 

 

It's a good thing I didn't let all the negative comments assuage me from sailing the Horizon. I would not have gotten to enjoy the layout, or the fact that it felt less crowded than the Splendor. This video is judging something before experiencing it, and is equivalent to all the ignorant comments about CCL and it's "low class, partier" atmosphere that so many say exist, while have never stepping foot on a CCL ship. 

I agree, other then the use of "assuage" lol, and all of this coming from "carnival's advocate on the boards".  What exactly is that anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I agree, other then the use of "assuage" lol, and all of this coming from "carnival's advocate on the boards".  What exactly is that anyway?

Yes, when I re read it, I did use that in the opposite way didn't I? Ugh.

 

Yeah.. it was a negative video. As far as the "Carnival Advocate,"  I have no idea... maybe they are using words in an opposite way, just like me. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes, when I re read it, I did use that in the opposite way didn't I? Ugh.

 

Yeah.. it was a negative video. As far as the "Carnival Advocate,"  I have no idea... maybe they are using words in an opposite way, just like me. 🤣

LOL, maybe....I think i will give myself a title....need to ponder that a while tho....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

nDid you watch your own video? There is a lot of time spent complaining about cabins, and their design, as well as the exhaust stack location, without having ever stepped foot on board. 

 

It's a good thing I didn't let all the negative comments assuage me from sailing the Horizon. I would not have gotten to enjoy the layout, or the fact that it felt less crowded than the Splendor. This video is judging something before experiencing it, and is equivalent to all the ignorant comments about CCL and it's "low class, partier" atmosphere that so many say exist, while have never stepping foot on a CCL ship. 

🙂

Do I "complain"?

Not more than my doctor "complains" about my bloodwork values.

Ship facts is a better word.

This video is not "my vacation snapshots".

This is an insight into what the ship is going to be and why, a research, a study.

And also an example of how much a cruise critic can know about the ship before stepping foot on it. 

I follow the way the shipbuilders go (none of them have been on Mardi Gras so far :classic_smile:).

 

As to "Carnival advocate" - I did post a link.

Here it is.

The post was an answer "to all the ignorant comments about CCL and it's "low class, partier" atmosphere".

 

And this "task" and this.

"The next a tough task for you my friends.

All eight pictures below are showing the same Carnival ship.

Please name another ship of any cruise line that offers all these amenities and services"

 

"Real" Carnival "advocates", where are your answers?

OK, I will answer for you: just a few best ships at sea are able to offer all that.

None of RCI, none of Princess, none of Celebrity, Oceania, Regent, Viking....

 

Advocates do not pray to their "clients", they work with facts.

Cruise ship advocates work with ships facts.

 

Happy cruising!

 

 

Edited by ronbe65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a big Carnival fan, but my first impressions are, at best, meh.

The ship is going to be CROWDED - there's simply no way around it with the passenger space ratio being what it is.

And where have you gone, Havana Pool?  A tiiiiiiiny pool on Deck 8, no hot tubs, but a heckuva lot more Havana cabins than on Vista class.  The Havana area was the best part of my cruise on Horizon - after a tranquil, relaxing day hanging out around the Havana Pool, a trip up to the crowded, frantic, and noisy Lido deck for a Guy's burger made me want to skip the food and run for my life.

The Neighborhoods....whoops....Zones look OK but they are definitely derivative.

I don't really see anything here that makes me want to cruise on Mardi Gras instead of any number of other Carnival ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked, I am a spa fan. At first I was thrilled to see spa cove balconies. then I realized they put the Family Harbor rooms on the same deck. 

I like the spa rooms as that's usually a zone free from loud kids---but I don't think that's gonna happen with the family harbor rooms on the same floor. 

It looks like they are actually mixed together, but I can't quite tell. If that's the case, there is no way I'd book a spa room.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mkcurran said:

I looked, I am a spa fan. At first I was thrilled to see spa cove balconies. then I realized they put the Family Harbor rooms on the same deck. 

I like the spa rooms as that's usually a zone free from loud kids---but I don't think that's gonna happen with the family harbor rooms on the same floor. 

It looks like they are actually mixed together, but I can't quite tell. If that's the case, there is no way I'd book a spa room.

I noticed that also, we love the spa area and usually book the couples pass if we don't get a spa cabin.  Disappointed that the spa won't be up top with the great views with the heated loungers.  That was one of the selling points to go and relax and see all the front views.  Now they've taken all those great views and put cabins in place to take in more revenue and selling them at a prime. 😂  Don't think I want to go to the bottom of the ship for a spa treatment or for relaxation. 😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

🙂

Do I "complain"?

Not more than my doctor "complains" about my bloodwork values.

Ship facts is a better word.

This video is not "my vacation snapshots".

This is an insight into what the ship is going to be and why, a research, a study.

And also an example of how much a cruise critic can know about the ship before stepping foot on it. 

I follow the way the shipbuilders go (none of them have been on Mardi Gras so far :classic_smile:).

 

As to "Carnival advocate" - I did post a link.

Here it is.

The post was an answer "to all the ignorant comments about CCL and it's "low class, partier" atmosphere".

 

And this "task" and this.

"The next a tough task for you my friends.

All eight pictures below are showing the same Carnival ship.

Please name another ship of any cruise line that offers all these amenities and services"

 

"Real" Carnival "advocates", where are your answers?

OK, I will answer for you: just a few best ships at sea are able to offer all that.

None of RCI, none of Princess, none of Celebrity, Oceania, Regent, Viking....

 

Advocates do not pray to their "clients", they work with facts.

Cruise ship advocates work with ships facts.

 

Happy cruising!

 

 

I will not belabor the point beyond this post.  John Heald is a Carnival advocate, he does not knock his own product,  There are others here (some are called cheerleaders by others) who are an advocate of the Carnival product (the whole product).  None of that did I see when I read your title and the way you commented.  I even called a management friend of mine who works at Carnival to see if there was a program I was unaware of.  All of that said, you can have any title you want.  I applaud the effort you took to build the links....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 13cheermom said:

I noticed that also, we love the spa area and usually book the couples pass if we don't get a spa cabin.  Disappointed that the spa won't be up top with the great views with the heated loungers.  That was one of the selling points to go and relax and see all the front views.  Now they've taken all those great views and put cabins in place to take in more revenue and selling them at a prime. 😂  Don't think I want to go to the bottom of the ship for a spa treatment or for relaxation. 😥

 

No doubt the right place for the spa is where it used to be (Best spa at sea).

On the positive side, I see a place for a hydrotherapy pool:

 

Spa.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoolOne56 said:

I was hoping for solo cabins. 😕

 

I will admit that I was surprised when I didn't see any.  I would probably never need one in the foreseeable future, but I would have thought Carnival would have catered to the solo cruiser crowd by at least having a token handful of solo cabins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a day! I have said it once an will say again this is the first mega ship that interests me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does any one have the technical specifications for the XL class? Power plant/ Propulsion method (pods or props), ships dimensions (length*Width* Height) et cetera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philbob84 said:

Does any one have the technical specifications for the XL class? Power plant/ Propulsion method (pods or props), ships dimensions (length*Width* Height) et cetera?

 

Looks like four Caterpillar dual fuel engines (61,760kw total) driving two Azipods (37,000kw total).  I believe that makes this class the largest cruise ships using only two pods, at least at the moment.

 

AidaNova is 337m long, has a beam of 42m, and draws just under 9m.  I'm guessing Mardi Gras will deviate slightly from those dimensions, but not much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

 

Looks like four Caterpillar dual fuel engines (61,760kw total) driving two Azipods (37,000kw total).  I believe that makes this class the largest cruise ships using only two pods, at least at the moment.

 

AidaNova is 337m long, has a beam of 42m, and draws just under 9m.  I'm guessing Mardi Gras will deviate slightly from those dimensions, but not much.

 

Cool!  Thanks for the info.  Where did you read about the quantity of azipods (two)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

AidaNova is 337m long, has a beam of 42m, and draws just under 9m.  I'm guessing Mardi Gras will deviate slightly from those dimensions, but not much.


337m long is about 1,105 feet long. The Manhattan cruise terminal has a maximum length of about 1,000 feet. When the vista was at the Manhattan terminal, the aft portion was sticking out of the pier a little bit. The Mardi Gras is longer then the vista, it will be interesting to see the ship at the Manhattan terminal with the aft sticking out again. i wonder if this might be an issue with the port officials. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shof515 said:


337m long is about 1,105 feet long. The Manhattan cruise terminal has a maximum length of about 1,000 feet. When the vista was at the Manhattan terminal, the aft portion was sticking out of the pier a little bit. The Mardi Gras is longer then the vista, it will be interesting to see the ship at the Manhattan terminal with the aft sticking out again. i wonder if this might be an issue with the port officials. 

I do not remember the Horizon sticking out beyond the pier....but I was not looking.  That said, another 100 feet might be a problem.  As I recall, they had an issue with Dream when she was there for the naming ceremony and the gangways did not line up and everyone had to enter deck 0.  Same was true for first stop in San Juan and clearing the overhang for the pier.  Point is that stuff does happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else seen the note on GoCCL about there are no self service laundry facilities?

 

image.png.1818c64b0303e50a6961a57d0dde3523.png

 

This is a screen shot i grabbed when looking at the deck plans.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Where did you read about the quantity of azipods (two)?

Press release on ordering long lead items.

 

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I do not remember the Horizon sticking out beyond the pier....but I was not looking.  That said, another 100 feet might be a problem.

 

NCL Escape sticks out slightly past the pier on her regular dockings.  I believe QM2 has also docked at Manhattan and she is about 30 feet longer than AidaNova.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jlcloy said:

Has anyone else seen the note on GoCCL about there are no self service laundry facilities?

 

image.png.1818c64b0303e50a6961a57d0dde3523.png

 

This is a screen shot i grabbed when looking at the deck plans.

 

 

I can't view your link, but John Heald confirmed yesterday on his FB page that there would only be "ironing/pressing areas" and no self-service laundry on Mardi Gras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CruzCrazy said:

I can't view your link, but John Heald confirmed yesterday on his FB page that there would only be "ironing/pressing areas" and no self-service laundry on Mardi Gras.

yes, here is his post:

Capture.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 11:13 AM, v3cruiser said:

Not really wowwed or favor the mega ships. Just briefly looking over deck plans, Havana and alchemy bars are in mediocre spots. Looks like limelight lounge and comedy club are still fairly small. With the casino in the  atrium, I would wonder if second hand  smoke is going to be an issue. Suprised the spa is down low. Serenity deck looks pretty spacious as well as mini golf getting a prime spot on aft of the ship. Looking forward to viewing itineraries.

I just looked at the deck plans and wondered about the casino being open to the atrium also. I wonder how they are going to keep the smoke contained?

also where the heck is Guys Burgers? I’m not a big fan but was looking and saw the Blue Iguana Cantina but the other side is blank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Enggrl said:

I just looked at the deck plans and wondered about the casino being open to the atrium also. I wonder how they are going to keep the smoke contained?

 

That is a good question.  I do hope it doesn't seep around to all the other non-smoking areas.  Perhaps negative pressure ventilation (or whatever you want to call the active sucking out of the air) in the casino area.

 

16 minutes ago, Enggrl said:

also where the heck is Guys Burgers? I’m not a big fan but was looking and saw the Blue Iguana Cantina but the other side is blank. 

 

Up a deck, on deck 17, port side.  Much bigger area than typical!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2019 at 9:08 PM, kona_wahine said:

I put a hold on a Havana cabana deck 7. Not sure if I really want to book yet.... wondering what the Havana area will have, doesn’t look like a pool, just a spa.

The design of the Havana area of this ship does not look worth it. Hopefully it changes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

 

That is a good question.  I do hope it doesn't seep around to all the other non-smoking areas.  Perhaps negative pressure ventilation (or whatever you want to call the active sucking out of the air) in the casino area.

 

 

Up a deck, on deck 17, port side.  Much bigger area than typical!

A bigger area is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...