Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

13 hours ago, bdever said:

The design of the Havana area of this ship does not look worth it. Hopefully it changes.

The Havana area (3.7% of guests) is taking some 40% of the promenade deck on the ship. This is a significant space.

But I do agree that the open deck amenities here are not on par with the Vista ships.

Carnival+Mardi+Gras+Havana.jpg

However.... as it was mentioned in the review video,

there is a small chance for the Havana area to take some space on the top deck (Scenario #3):

Carnival+Mardi+Gras+Havana_1.jpg

I will not be surprised if some space here becomes a part of the Havana area:

Carnival+Mardi+Gras+Serene+Area.jpg

Edited by ronbe65

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:48 PM, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

It is funny to sit back and read what the subject matter experts write and how the express their opinion or knowledge. 

More fun is coming - Mardi Gras cabin tour. 🙂

We are on the repositioning cruise. Never sailed anything larger than the Conguest class. This will be a trial cruise just like our first one to see first hand how we like or dislike cruising. This time on a mega ship. No matter how we judge this new experience, we will totally enjoy the cruise, as we did all past ones.

Posted (edited)

Mardi Gras engine room keel section (140 meters long by 42 meters wide) being delivered from Meyer Neptun to the Meyer Turku shipyard.

Leaving Meyer Neptun

Cruise Paper - mardi gras module.jpg

Photo from Cruise Paper

June 1 2019.JPG

Photo by laveamedia

Edited by Lloyd555

On 2/1/2019 at 1:38 PM, ronbe65 said:

I will not be surprised if some space here becomes a part of the Havana area:

Carnival+Mardi+Gras+Serene+Area.jpg

It would be cool if they made that like a day pass area so Havana could be a 24/7 private pool area. Kind of like what NCL does with "Vibe."

What I don't understand is why the Spa is on Deck 5 and the Spa cabins are on Deck 17.  That makes no sense.

We always like to be on what used to be called the Panorama Deck which was one deck higher than the Lido Deck.  Now the Spa cabins are on that deck and we aren't interested in getting a Spa cabin as we don't use the Spa and don't want to pay more for a cabin that we won't use the amenities.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

What I don't understand is why the Spa is on Deck 5 and the Spa cabins are on Deck 17.  That makes no sense.

We always like to be on what used to be called the Panorama Deck which was one deck higher than the Lido Deck.  Now the Spa cabins are on that deck and we aren't interested in getting a Spa cabin as we don't use the Spa and don't want to pay more for a cabin that we won't use the amenities.

I am curious to see what this will be like on Mardi Gras. We have always booked a spa cabin on every ship that has a thermal suite. It has always been a short walk, sometimes involving stairs, from our cabin to the thermal suite. We booked a spa balcony on deck 17 on Mardi Gras, so obviously it won’t be a short walk like on other ships.  There is supposed to be a dedicated elevator from deck 17 to deck 5, which will hopefully make it easy to get to the thermal suite area from deck 17. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I am curious to see what this will be like on Mardi Gras. We have always booked a spa cabin on every ship that has a thermal suite. It has always been a short walk, sometimes involving stairs, from our cabin to the thermal suite. We booked a spa balcony on deck 17 on Mardi Gras, so obviously it won’t be a short walk like on other ships.  There is supposed to be a dedicated elevator from deck 17 to deck 5, which will hopefully make it easy to get to the thermal suite area from deck 17. 

Yeah, no more robes and flipflops to the spa from the cabin lmao. But seriously, that elevator idea sounds pretty cool, just bypassing every deck, woosh!

13 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Mardi Gras engine room keel section (140 meters long by 42 meters wide)

being delivered from Meyer Neptun to the Meyer Turku shipyard.

Leaving Meyer Neptun

Cruise Paper - mardi gras module.jpg

That is just amazing, how they build big ships these days.

Presumably the engines are already in place?

Did you ever see one of those big Wartsila engines for ships!

They're a little larger than that V8 under your hood.

Here are a few Ship Engine pics I've saved, over the years

- should give you some idea

Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C Crankshaft.jpg

Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C engine.jpg

Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C engine2.jpg

Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged.gif

An amazing photo.

777924847_Wartsila-SulzerRTA96-Cturbocha

Olympic/Titanic/Britannic steam engines come to mind.

2co56l2.jpg

Combining all info in one thread...

Updated videos.

Mardi Gras Cabins Tour & Guide

I just can't wait to sail on her next year, Halloween Cruise leaving Oct 31st.

Ronbe65...Thanks for the vids.  Nice work.  Especially on explaining the cabin size change and why some cabins are located better than others.We're in Cove 5215 in 2022.  Seems like a decent location, if my sliding deck plans match up correctly.  Your thoughts?

@ronbe65 have you done a review like this of the Panorama? 

We have a guarantee balcony cabin on the first sailing of Mardi Gras. I’m so looking forward to it. We booked late and guarantee was all that was available! I’m hoping we have a good cabin. I don’t typically book guarantee. 

Hi Crewsweeper,

Decent is the right word (vs perfect) There may be some spray from the bow (~~sea condition).

BBB (Bed By the bathroom).

5215.jpg

8 minutes ago, crucero said:

@ronbe65 have you done a review like this of the Panorama? 

We have a guarantee balcony cabin on the first sailing of Mardi Gras. I’m so looking forward to it. We booked late and guarantee was all that was available! I’m hoping we have a good cabin. I don’t typically book guarantee. 

Hi crusero,

I did not do a research of this kind for the Panorama.

Unlike the Panorama, that is an evolution of the first ship in this family (Carnival Dream),  the Mardi Gras is a big change in Carnival traditions. 

Hope you'll have a good cabin.

Happy cruising!

Am I correct that above us is grey area next to the back forward corner of the Comedy Club? And just aft of the passageway doors?  We knew not to go for the Havana deck but DW wanted a spa balcony, even though I tried to tell her the spa is probably as bad if not worse than the Vista and Horizon spas.

@ronbe65, thank you for the updated video. I will now be changing my cabin. I have Cabin 10315, but your video I should change a deck or two. 

23 hours ago, mouche said:

I just can't wait to sail on her next year, Halloween Cruise leaving Oct 31st.

We always do Carnival for Halloween. We are also booked on the 31st. Wish it was a few days sooner than the 31st.

Did Halloween on other ships. Boring. I told my TA. As soon as it comes out. Book us for Halloween. Just think Halloween on the Mardi Gras. How great is that?

6 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Am I correct that above us is grey area next to the back forward corner of the Comedy Club? And just aft of the passageway doors?  We knew not to go for the Havana deck but DW wanted a spa balcony, even though I tried to tell her the spa is probably as bad if not worse than the Vista and Horizon spas.

Yes, you are correct about the location.

We usually book a cabin of our choice and then purchase spa passes (separately).

The location is so close to the spa, so if you really want it... why not..

@ronbe65  - thanks for the videos, they are a big help.  Still not sure I am understanding how to know which configuration each cabin is (bed location).  Can you help me and tell me which you think 12354 is?    Thanks in advance.