Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

Recommended Posts

I'm wondering if both of the sliding glass door panels will open on the balconies.  We always book side by side with my brother and SIL and open the divider.  When we booked, our PVP and two of his supervisors couldn't determine which balconies connect with which balcony.  Even now goccl.com states that connecting balconies is not available at this time.  It would be nice if both panels slide.  Then it wouldn't matter which connects to which.  We're keeping our fingers crossed that we can get it opened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always said I would never sail on a mega ship - but I now understand why the saying goes:  Never say Never!  LOL

 

I am booked on the repositioning cruise sailing 9/30/20.  15 days from NY to Port Canaveral.  6 Sea Days.  8 port stops.  I am very excited about sailing on this ship.  I have always wanted to sail out of New York (check).  My longest cruise has been an 8-day, and I wanted a longer cruise (check).  Going all over the Caribbean?  Yes please!

 

I have a couple of cruises booked before this one, but this is the one I keep looking for information on.  I am so excited!  I know I said that already...but I am!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The INTERNAL SPACE and OPEN SPACE comparisons says it all . . . just find me a well-kept-up Spirit Class and I'm a happy camper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glrounds said:

The INTERNAL SPACE and OPEN SPACE comparisons says it all . . . just find me a well-kept-up Spirit Class and I'm a happy camper.

I am finding when we book larger ships like this I am also booking rooms with large balconies.  In this this case an Aft Balcony.  For some reason I am never bothered by this space comparison when I do so.  When I need that personal space I just head from my room.  While this ship intrigues me and I want to check it out, I know where to go if the crowds get to be too much.  The biggest thing that draws me to cruising is the ocean anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

I am finding when we book larger ships like this I am also booking rooms with large balconies.  In this this case an Aft Balcony.  For some reason I am never bothered by this space comparison when I do so.  When I need that personal space I just head from my room.  While this ship intrigues me and I want to check it out, I know where to go if the crowds get to be too much.  The biggest thing that draws me to cruising is the ocean anyways.

 

I cruise solo mostly so I pay double. On my limited budget this means an inside cabin (if I'm lucky and book early I can get an inside-priced cabin with portholes). 🙂 Shower, change clothes and sleep, if I must, are my cabin requirements.  I cruise for the sea also and I never find difficulty in finding a "private" space if I desire one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Costa Smeralda delivery has been delayed.

what about the Mardi Gras?

Costa Smeralda  is an LNG powered cruise ship that is loosely based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.

 

Meyer Turku, in a prepared statement, said: "With its new cruise ship LNG propulsion system and many sophisticated rooms with stage and audio/video equipment the complexity and sophistication of the ship is very high in order to create a unique Costa-style passenger experience. Aside from its unique design features also its size of 180 000 GT is impressive and much larger than the recently built ships at Turku shipyard."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21573-costa-smeralda-delivery-delayed-until-november.html

Will Mardi Gras have the same issues? Time will tell.

 

For those planning to be on the first sailing in August, 2020: be well prepared.

1. Know the ship:  What is so exciting about Carnival Mardi Gras? Deck Tour and Review. Hits and Misses.

2. Choose the right cabin: Carnival Mardi Gras Cabins Tour and Guide: How to find a good cabin. Hits and misses.

3. Make preparations for an alternative trip. We'll be on the first sailing, so our alternative vacation trip will be secured (hotels, train tickets, etc.). Europe is a fantastic place for vacation!

Happy cruising!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Costa Smeralda delivery has been delayed.

what about the Mardi Gras?

Costa Smeralda  is an LNG powered cruise ship that is loosely based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.

 

Meyer Turku, in a prepared statement, said: "With its new cruise ship LNG propulsion system and many sophisticated rooms with stage and audio/video equipment the complexity and sophistication of the ship is very high in order to create a unique Costa-style passenger experience. Aside from its unique design features also its size of 180 000 GT is impressive and much larger than the recently built ships at Turku shipyard."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21573-costa-smeralda-delivery-delayed-until-november.html

Will Mardi Gras have the same issues? Time will tell.

 

For those planning to be on the first sailing in August, 2020: be well prepared.

1. Know the ship:  What is so exciting about Carnival Mardi Gras? Deck Tour and Review. Hits and Misses.

2. Choose the right cabin: Carnival Mardi Gras Cabins Tour and Guide: How to find a good cabin. Hits and misses.

3. Make preparations for an alternative trip. We'll be on the first sailing, so our alternative vacation trip will be secured (hotels, train tickets, etc.). Europe is a fantastic place for vacation!

Happy cruising!

 

I am on the first sailing as well, and yes, this does worry me.  Truthfully I think Carnival will do anything they can to get the ship out on time as it will be a cascading series of issues if it's delayed.  

 

Thankfully I am rather flexible so can move my trip a bit, but I will wait to book airline tickets and hotel till much closer to the cruise date to make sure it will be on time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A delay would affect travel plans of some 5,000 passengers. Hope Carnival/Meyer Turku  will do their best to deliver the ship on time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rudi's Seagrill will be one of the specialty restaurants on Mardi Gras.
Seafood delicacies will be presented in unusual "fun" way.
Adults: $38.00
Kids: $12.00

From Chef Rudi Sodamin masterpieces:

 

Food+22.jpg

 

Food+33.jpg

 

Food+11.jpg

 

Food+44.jpg

 

Happy cruising!

Edited by ronbe65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, Aquahound said:

 

I agree but Allure has a space ratio of 36.  With the numbers published so far on Mardi Gras, the ratio is looking like 27.  I think this is going to be a wait-and-see situation but a ratio in the 20s is very concerning.  

 

Then again, ratios in the 20s are normal for Carnival and folks say ships like Sunshine don't feel too crowded.

 

Here's the list I'm using as reference.  

 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/761-cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings

This list is fascinating and I find it correlates very closely to how crowded the ships I have been on are. Sunrise and Sunshine were by far the worst. Lines everywhere, bottleneck area near Guys burger was borderline dangerous. Serenade and Independence were the best. Money obviously drives it all. Still love Carnival for the value!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, missholly24 said:

This list is fascinating and I find it correlates very closely to how crowded the ships I have been on are. Sunrise and Sunshine were by far the worst. Lines everywhere, bottleneck area near Guys burger was borderline dangerous. Serenade and Independence were the best. Money obviously drives it all. Still love Carnival for the value!

LOL.... which decisions are not driven by money.  I thing that measurement of capacity is possibly the worst I have ever seen. Were you on the Sunrise?  How does one define dangerous, is it you can see 10 people, are they climbing over each other?  really....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, is this thread saying that MG may not be ready for it's first or second sailing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, missholly24 said:

This list is fascinating and I find it correlates very closely to how crowded the ships I have been on are. Sunrise and Sunshine were by far the worst. Lines everywhere, bottleneck area near Guys burger was borderline dangerous. Serenade and Independence were the best. Money obviously drives it all. Still love Carnival for the value!

 

What they did is acceptable as an initial approach to the problem, but the work is not complete. The numbers in the list is "internal space ratio" to be precised.

Therefore this calculation may be misleading as they say nothing about the open deck space that is as important as the internal.

To assess the open deck space they need to know the ships , not just arithmetic.

They have done the easiest half of the job.

A couple of notes.

They use the max capacity for internal space ratio calculations while the more realistic (and widely adopted) number for calculations is "double occupancy" number.

The numbers from 40 and higher is what we would like to have on cruise ships.

The majority of the popular ships (including a few very best ones) fall within 37-40 range.

35 and lower is alarming.

The gap between 40 and 35 might not seem significant on paper. However in reality it's huge.

This quote may tell that they are not always sure what they are talking about:

"So if your ship has generally smaller cabins but very large public spaces, she will have a higher space ratio..." This statement is not correct.

 

Internal space ratio of some popular cruise ships (based on double occupancy) :

 

Carnival Miracle: 41.67 (soaring above the rest of the fleet)

Carnival Glory: 36.9

Carnival Breeze: 35.23

Carnival Sunshine: 34.26

Carnival Vista: 33.93

NCL Breakaway: 36.75

MSC Meraviglia: 38.13

Queen Mary 2 (ocean liner): 55.37

 

Space+Ratio+Internal.jpg

 

Happy cruising!

 

 

 

Edited by ronbe65

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

So, is this thread saying that MG may not be ready for it's first or second sailing?

Hopefully not. I am sure the shipyard and the cruise line will do their best.

However having alternative plans for travel in Europe between 08/31/20 and 09/09/20 (just as a precaution) would be a good idea.

Happy cruising!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

LOL.... which decisions are not driven by money.  I thing that measurement of capacity is possibly the worst I have ever seen. Were you on the Sunrise?  How does one define dangerous, is it you can see 10 people, are they climbing over each other?  really....

Haha always arguing with me jimbo. So odd. Anyways. Yes I was on the Sunrise a few weeks ago. Person in automated wheelchair rammed through a line of people hitting folks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

Haha always arguing with me jimbo. So odd. Anyways. Yes I was on the Sunrise a few weeks ago. Person in automated wheelchair rammed through a line of people hitting folks. 

Well I am sure that could only happen on a Carnival ship. I really did not think we were arguing.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 1:24 PM, ronbe65 said:

What they did is acceptable as an initial approach to the problem, but the work is not complete. The numbers in the list is "internal space ratio" to be precised.

Therefore this calculation may be misleading as they say nothing about the open deck space that is as important as the internal.

 

A good point.  It is also worth noting that Gross tonnage refers to total volume, not passenger accessible volume, so depending on the design of the ship more or less space may be dedicated to various mechanical and support functions.  In addition, because GT is calculated using a logarithmic function, it doesn't work as well comparing ships of vastly different sizes.  And, of course, it ignores the layout which can impact the flow of traffic, sense of how crowded spaces are, etc.

 

It also doesn't account of how big various areas are.  A seemingly spacious ship could have a small theater with limited seating, for instance.

 

Because of all that, comparing a ship with a ratio of 37 to one of 38 or 39 may not give you an accurate representation of what a passenger experiences.  But I'll agree that when the ratio drops into the low 30s and 20s, I would want to do A LOT of research before booking that trip.  I don't think there is an arbitrary cutoff, but the lower the number is the more convincing it would take to get me on the ship!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AL3XCruise said:

 

A good point.  It is also worth noting that Gross tonnage refers to total volume, not passenger accessible volume, so depending on the design of the ship more or less space may be dedicated to various mechanical and support functions.  In addition, because GT is calculated using a logarithmic function, it doesn't work as well comparing ships of vastly different sizes.  And, of course, it ignores the layout which can impact the flow of traffic, sense of how crowded spaces are, etc.

 

It also doesn't account of how big various areas are.  A seemingly spacious ship could have a small theater with limited seating, for instance.

 

Because of all that, comparing a ship with a ratio of 37 to one of 38 or 39 may not give you an accurate representation of what a passenger experiences.  But I'll agree that when the ratio drops into the low 30s and 20s, I would want to do A LOT of research before booking that trip.  I don't think there is an arbitrary cutoff, but the lower the number is the more convincing it would take to get me on the ship!

 

 

Bolded and underlined for emphasis. Good points all. However, is there a BETTER benchmark by which to judge passenger accessibility? Is there any statistic that WOULD give a more accurate representation of what a passenger experiences? I'd certainly would like to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Bolded and underlined for emphasis. Good points all. However, is there a BETTER benchmark by which to judge passenger accessibility? Is there any statistic that WOULD give a more accurate representation of what a passenger experiences? I'd certainly would like to know. 

 

I don't know of a numerical one that is publicly available for most ships.  A ratio with net tonnage would be better, and one based on public space square footage (interior and exterior) would be better still, but none of those numbers are commonly provided by the cruise line.  Hence why I think a gross tonnage based ratio still has value by suggesting you should focus some of your research on the reviews of crowds, layout, traffic flow, etc.   It isn't a deciding factor in itself for me, but definitely is a flag to investigate further. 

 

In the case of Mardi Gras that is tough since we won't know how well Carnival did at cramming so much into a 180,000GT ship until after it sails.  Even the related ships entering service with different CCL brands have different layouts, so I'd be hesitant to infer too much from those reviews.

Edited by AL3XCruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/15/2019 at 2:08 PM, ronbe65 said:

Hopefully not. I am sure the shipyard and the cruise line will do their best.

However having alternative plans for travel in Europe between 08/31/20 and 09/09/20 (just as a precaution) would be a good idea.

Happy cruising!

 

There is zero evidence she will not be ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

I love the idea of "maximizing" cabin space .... by making it smaller.

Video below:

 

You make it sound bad, is that a back handed compliment?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may sound like that. 🙂

These small cabins (a demo model is shown) will be a source of complaints for years.

They wanted to show something good (that is understandable) but picked the wrong thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, DaisyGirl55 said:

I always said I would never sail on a mega ship - but I now understand why the saying goes:  Never say Never!  LOL

 

I am booked on the repositioning cruise sailing 9/30/20.  15 days from NY to Port Canaveral.  6 Sea Days.  8 port stops.  I am very excited about sailing on this ship.  I have always wanted to sail out of New York (check).  My longest cruise has been an 8-day, and I wanted a longer cruise (check).  Going all over the Caribbean?  Yes please!

 

I have a couple of cruises booked before this one, but this is the one I keep looking for information on.  I am so excited!  I know I said that already...but I am!

I assume you know by now your cruise will be delayed as Carnival will not receive the ship until 8 weeks later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...