Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

I'm wondering if both of the sliding glass door panels will open on the balconies.  We always book side by side with my brother and SIL and open the divider.  When we booked, our PVP and two of his supervisors couldn't determine which balconies connect with which balcony.  Even now goccl.com states that connecting balconies is not available at this time.  It would be nice if both panels slide.  Then it wouldn't matter which connects to which.  We're keeping our fingers crossed that we can get it opened.

I always said I would never sail on a mega ship - but I now understand why the saying goes:  Never say Never!  LOL

I am booked on the repositioning cruise sailing 9/30/20.  15 days from NY to Port Canaveral.  6 Sea Days.  8 port stops.  I am very excited about sailing on this ship.  I have always wanted to sail out of New York (check).  My longest cruise has been an 8-day, and I wanted a longer cruise (check).  Going all over the Caribbean?  Yes please!

I have a couple of cruises booked before this one, but this is the one I keep looking for information on.  I am so excited!  I know I said that already...but I am!

The INTERNAL SPACE and OPEN SPACE comparisons says it all . . . just find me a well-kept-up Spirit Class and I'm a happy camper.

1 hour ago, glrounds said:

The INTERNAL SPACE and OPEN SPACE comparisons says it all . . . just find me a well-kept-up Spirit Class and I'm a happy camper.

I am finding when we book larger ships like this I am also booking rooms with large balconies.  In this this case an Aft Balcony.  For some reason I am never bothered by this space comparison when I do so.  When I need that personal space I just head from my room.  While this ship intrigues me and I want to check it out, I know where to go if the crowds get to be too much.  The biggest thing that draws me to cruising is the ocean anyways.

13 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

I am finding when we book larger ships like this I am also booking rooms with large balconies.  In this this case an Aft Balcony.  For some reason I am never bothered by this space comparison when I do so.  When I need that personal space I just head from my room.  While this ship intrigues me and I want to check it out, I know where to go if the crowds get to be too much.  The biggest thing that draws me to cruising is the ocean anyways.

I cruise solo mostly so I pay double. On my limited budget this means an inside cabin (if I'm lucky and book early I can get an inside-priced cabin with portholes). 🙂 Shower, change clothes and sleep, if I must, are my cabin requirements.  I cruise for the sea also and I never find difficulty in finding a "private" space if I desire one.

Costa Smeralda delivery has been delayed.

what about the Mardi Gras?

Costa Smeralda  is an LNG powered cruise ship that is loosely based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.

Meyer Turku, in a prepared statement, said: "With its new cruise ship LNG propulsion system and many sophisticated rooms with stage and audio/video equipment the complexity and sophistication of the ship is very high in order to create a unique Costa-style passenger experience. Aside from its unique design features also its size of 180 000 GT is impressive and much larger than the recently built ships at Turku shipyard."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21573-costa-smeralda-delivery-delayed-until-november.html

Will Mardi Gras have the same issues? Time will tell.

For those planning to be on the first sailing in August, 2020: be well prepared.

1. Know the ship:  What is so exciting about Carnival Mardi Gras? Deck Tour and Review. Hits and Misses.

2. Choose the right cabin: Carnival Mardi Gras Cabins Tour and Guide: How to find a good cabin. Hits and misses.

3. Make preparations for an alternative trip. We'll be on the first sailing, so our alternative vacation trip will be secured (hotels, train tickets, etc.). Europe is a fantastic place for vacation!

Happy cruising!

19 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Costa Smeralda delivery has been delayed.

what about the Mardi Gras?

Costa Smeralda  is an LNG powered cruise ship that is loosely based on the same platform as the Mardi Gras.

Meyer Turku, in a prepared statement, said: "With its new cruise ship LNG propulsion system and many sophisticated rooms with stage and audio/video equipment the complexity and sophistication of the ship is very high in order to create a unique Costa-style passenger experience. Aside from its unique design features also its size of 180 000 GT is impressive and much larger than the recently built ships at Turku shipyard."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/21573-costa-smeralda-delivery-delayed-until-november.html

Will Mardi Gras have the same issues? Time will tell.

For those planning to be on the first sailing in August, 2020: be well prepared.

1. Know the ship:  What is so exciting about Carnival Mardi Gras? Deck Tour and Review. Hits and Misses.

2. Choose the right cabin: Carnival Mardi Gras Cabins Tour and Guide: How to find a good cabin. Hits and misses.

3. Make preparations for an alternative trip. We'll be on the first sailing, so our alternative vacation trip will be secured (hotels, train tickets, etc.). Europe is a fantastic place for vacation!

Happy cruising!

I am on the first sailing as well, and yes, this does worry me.  Truthfully I think Carnival will do anything they can to get the ship out on time as it will be a cascading series of issues if it's delayed.  

Thankfully I am rather flexible so can move my trip a bit, but I will wait to book airline tickets and hotel till much closer to the cruise date to make sure it will be on time.

A delay would affect travel plans of some 5,000 passengers. Hope Carnival/Meyer Turku  will do their best to deliver the ship on time.