Cruise Critic Community
ronbe65

CARNIVAL MARDI GRAS Preview: Video, Pics, Deck plans,Things to discuss...

On 12/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, jimbo5544 said:

There is zero evidence she will not be ready

MIAMI, Dec. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Cruise Line has been informed by officials at the Meyer Turku shipyard that delivery of Mardi Gras will be delayed and is advising booked guests and travel advisors that the first revenue sailing of the ship will be Nov. 14, 2020.

With this new schedule, Carnival will now take delivery of the ship in late October and its first revenue sailing will depart from Port Canaveral on Nov. 14, 2020.  Consequently, the first eight sailings that were scheduled starting Aug. 31 have been cancelled, including European, transatlantic and New York-based itineraries and four Port Canaveral itineraries.

Carnival said that the guest notification process began promptly after the notice by Meyer Turku so that impacted guests could begin to make alternative vacation plans.  As a gesture of goodwill, Carnival is offering these guests a 25 percent future cruise credit (FCC), in addition to the full refund of their cruise fare (and applicable fees and taxes and other pre-purchased cruise components), as well as assistance with non-refundable airline and hotel reservations already booked. In addition, if guests rebook their cruise vacation using their 25 percent FCC by Feb. 18, 2020, they will be credited with an additional $100 per person onboard credit for that cruise.  Carnival has also communicated guidelines to travel advisors regarding commission protection. 

"We have been working closely with Meyer Turku executives to keep the Mardi Gras delivery on schedule, and while we deeply regret disappointing our guests, this change in the delivery date is required to make sure all of the ship's systems, features and technology will be fully operational, so that we can give our guests the vacation they expect. Our commitment is to deliver a great and innovative ship, and Mardi Gras will definitely be that when it arrives in North America," said Ben Clement, Carnival Cruise Line's senior vice president of newbuild.

16 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

MIAMI, Dec. 20, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Cruise Line has been informed by officials at the Meyer Turku shipyard that delivery of Mardi Gras will be delayed and is advising booked guests and travel advisors that the first revenue sailing of the ship will be Nov. 14, 2020.

With this new schedule, Carnival will now take delivery of the ship in late October and its first revenue sailing will depart from Port Canaveral on Nov. 14, 2020.  Consequently, the first eight sailings that were scheduled starting Aug. 31 have been cancelled, including European, transatlantic and New York-based itineraries and four Port Canaveral itineraries.

Carnival said that the guest notification process began promptly after the notice by Meyer Turku so that impacted guests could begin to make alternative vacation plans.  As a gesture of goodwill, Carnival is offering these guests a 25 percent future cruise credit (FCC), in addition to the full refund of their cruise fare (and applicable fees and taxes and other pre-purchased cruise components), as well as assistance with non-refundable airline and hotel reservations already booked. In addition, if guests rebook their cruise vacation using their 25 percent FCC by Feb. 18, 2020, they will be credited with an additional $100 per person onboard credit for that cruise.  Carnival has also communicated guidelines to travel advisors regarding commission protection. 

"We have been working closely with Meyer Turku executives to keep the Mardi Gras delivery on schedule, and while we deeply regret disappointing our guests, this change in the delivery date is required to make sure all of the ship's systems, features and technology will be fully operational, so that we can give our guests the vacation they expect. Our commitment is to deliver a great and innovative ship, and Mardi Gras will definitely be that when it arrives in North America," said Ben Clement, Carnival Cruise Line's senior vice president of newbuild.

I received the notice

35 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Mine was already removed from Carnivals web site. The first US cruise is now Nov 14th 2020. 

Pretty sizable chunk of cruises to cancel. I am sure they will have to take a write off for the lost revenue an making people whole.  I wonder if they have insurance that covers this or maybe the ship builder also on the hook. 

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Pretty sizable chunk of cruises to cancel. I am sure they will have to take a write off for the lost revenue an making people whole.  I wonder if they have insurance that covers this or maybe the ship builder also on the hook. 

About 6000 guests not happy.

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Commercial insurance companies, have riders called 'Loss of Revenue Rider'. It covers lost revenue due to events not under the control of the insured(Carnival). I hope they maxed out the benefits of this rider. They will need it.

29 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Commercial insurance companies, have riders called 'Loss of Revenue Rider'. It covers lost revenue due to events not under the control of the insured(Carnival). I hope they maxed out the benefits of this rider. They will need it.

The builder may have some skin in the game also

24 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

The builder may have some skin in the game also

Quite possibly. To compensate the owner of the asset, for not adhering to the terms of the contract, in not delivering the product as per the terms of the building contract.

The Mardi Gras has her bridge and a few other bits and pieces.

📷 Denis

Denis 2020.jpg

7 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

The Mardi Gras has her bridge and a few other bits and pieces.

📷 Denis

Denis 2020.jpg

See the funnel awaiting to be added as well.

On 1/28/2019 at 3:44 PM, twodaywonder said:

We usually cruise about 6 a year and have over 66 now. As for how many guests to be crowded. That totally depends on the size of the ship vs guests on board. On the RCCL Harmony with over 6100 onboard you almost never have a bump problem at all. Unless a special on the main deck or pool deck, it is not crowded at all. Many locations have very few there because of the size of the ship. Now take a ship that is about 1200 ft at 3600 guests and you are now on a crowded ship. On wednesday I will get booked on the Mardi Gras for halloween cruise for 2020. That will make our six for 2020. (mardi Gras / Halloween) hum. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Our last few cruises on Carnival were terrible and the food stunk for sure. I hope this one will be great. 47 on Carnival and Diamond for a while now. The most we cruised on in one year was eight. Just returned from one on the RCCL Serenade of the Seas. Beautiful decor and awesome food. Fantastic 10 day cruise. Although the steak house was terrible, the buffett was awesome. 

No more dining room meals. Not worth the lost time. April 3 on the NEW Celebrity Edge and already booked the sister ship APEX for 2020. We are now trying to book only NEW ships. SKY Princess for 2020 booked. Not sure about Norwegian. Like the go carts but I have heard the food is not that good. Just go and enjoy whatever you like. Always the best bank for the buck.

We've done about 20 cruises. Carnival, Royal, X and one NCL. The food was a hell of a lot better in NCL than on our last Royal (SOS). NCL was in 2018, SOS 2019. NCL cruise was probably our best cruise ever! And we had no desire to try it either. Glad we did!

Food on any ship is subjective.  People complain about how bad the food is on NCL ships and on RCL's Windjammer buffet or MDR about as much as posters here complain about Carnival's Lido buffet and MDR.  Agree that specialty restaurants on Carnival and RCL (haven't sailed on NCL) are the preferred way to go but even there you can get a bad meal if ordering wrong.  And sometimes service is too slow or inattentive as well.

16 hours ago, klfhngr said:

We've done about 20 cruises. Carnival, Royal, X and one NCL. The food was a hell of a lot better in NCL than on our last Royal (SOS). NCL was in 2018, SOS 2019. NCL cruise was probably our best cruise ever! And we had no desire to try it either. Glad we did!

I posted that a year ago. Wow things have changed. Hated the EDGE so no APEX. The Halloween cruise on the Mardi Gras was cancelled. Will not be ready. Re-booked it for 2021. Now we will do the Sunrise for Halloween 2020. We booked an awesome deal for the SKY Princess Dec 1st $60 PP OV but health reasons, we had to cancel. Now waiting for the SKY cruise in a few days, Jan 11, 2020. Carnivals buffet is super small. Not that good at all. ALL other cruise lines are far better. Royals the very best. Carnival has my favorites thought. The steak house has the very best steak of any cruise line my favorite, Soft Serve 24/7 only line that does that as far as I know. Now the reviews for the Sky Princess buffet rates it excellent. That would be super. Also supper😉 NCL again? Maybe in the future. Looks like Carnival has switched to Pepsi. Waiting for the feedback's. I was doing some checking and the soda package does NOT include all the offerings from Pepsi. You pay additional for several offerings. Our next carnival is not till October. I am sure I will read many posts about the Pepsi by then. From Florida, Happy New Year to everyone. 😎

On 12/31/2019 at 9:39 AM, Lloyd555 said:
📷 Ocean Crew Academy

Ocean Crew Academy 3.jpg

Ocean Crew Academy 2.jpg

Ocean Crew Academy 1.jpg

Thanks Lloyd!  Your'e the best.  You always have the best ship construction photos.  Bravo!

There are quite a few youtube videos of the new COSTA SMERALDA which just entered service.  This ship is the same platform as MARDI GRAS.  Of course the layout and decor will differ, but there will be some similarities.  The new Costa ship looks pretty awesome.  So many restaurants and some beautiful lounge spaces.  Cabins are so-so.  I think MARDI GRAS cabins will look nicer although they will be the exact same size, and I'm guessing the same bathroom set up.  Anyway if MARDI GRAS comes close to the new COSTA SMERALDA she will be a stunning ship.  I think MARDI GRAS will be a somewhat new direction for Carnival.  Many signature spaces will remain, but lots of new spaces and a more upscale feel judging from the renderings.  And we finally will see the end of those hideous orange pleather sofas in the cabins!   

1 hour ago, eroller said:

There are quite a few youtube videos of the new COSTA SMERALDA which just entered service.  This ship is the same platform as MARDI GRAS.  Of course the layout and decor will differ, but there will be some similarities.  The new Costa ship looks pretty awesome.  So many restaurants and some beautiful lounge spaces.  Cabins are so-so.  I think MARDI GRAS cabins will look nicer although they will be the exact same size, and I'm guessing the same bathroom set up.  Anyway if MARDI GRAS comes close to the new COSTA SMERALDA she will be a stunning ship.  I think MARDI GRAS will be a somewhat new direction for Carnival.  Many signature spaces will remain, but lots of new spaces and a more upscale feel judging from the renderings.  And we finally will see the end of those hideous orange pleather sofas in the cabins!   

Speak for yourself! Those orange sofas are the bee's knees! 

But yes, Mardi Gras is an entirely new direction and a welcome one at that. Carnival has had several evolutions in it's past and this is yet another, especially as global competition is heating up. Pretty soon, there will be even more competition in Carnival's key markets so I anticipate more after Mardi Gras and Festivale in 2022.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cjknox said:

Pretty soon, there will be even more competition in Carnival's key markets so I anticipate more after Mardi Gras and Festivale in 2022.

FESTIVALE huh?  We shall see.  That would be skipping CARNIVALE but I could see how that name might confuse some people.  Having sailed on the original trio and being a Carnival cruiser since 1981, I’m very nostalgic for these original names!  I know I love the ship name (MG), I just hope I love the ship.  

Edited by eroller

1 hour ago, eroller said:

FESTIVALE huh?  We shall see.  That would be skipping CARNIVALE but I could see how that name might confuse some people.  Having sailed on the original trio and being a Carnival cruiser since 1981, I’m very nostalgic for these original names!  I know I love the ship name (MG), I just hope I love the ship.  

You are an ol salt at heart. Congrats are certainly in order. Plus you are a neighbor. Not close but a neighbor anyhow.

15 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

You are an ol salt at heart. Congrats are certainly in order. Plus you are a neighbor. Not close but a neighbor anyhow.

Thanks buddy!  I’ve been cruising for a long time now, but thankfully started very young so still many cruising years left.  

I’ve seen Carnival and all the surviving lines go through lots and lots of changes, some good and some not so good.  The cruise industry and ships are a hobby of mine and there is never a dull moment.  Through it all I’ve pretty much remained loyal to cruising but not any one cruise line.  They each have something great to offer and none are perfect.  I’ve pretty much outgrown and moved on from Carnival these days, but MARDI GRAS has reignited my interest and I look forward to sailing on her.  

Happy cruising to you! 

58 minutes ago, eroller said:

Thanks buddy!  I’ve been cruising for a long time now, but thankfully started very young so still many cruising years left.  

I’ve seen Carnival and all the surviving lines go through lots and lots of changes, some good and some not so good.  The cruise industry and ships are a hobby of mine and there is never a dull moment.  Through it all I’ve pretty much remained loyal to cruising but not any one cruise line.  They each have something great to offer and none are perfect.  I’ve pretty much outgrown and moved on from Carnival these days, but MARDI GRAS has reignited my interest and I look forward to sailing on her.  

Happy cruising to you! 

Thank you for that. Since I retired 10 years ago we started cruising alot. Minimum 4 did 8 one year. Got to Diamond that year. Do not much care for where the ship is going anymore. We do love the ships and all they offer. Doing our best to now do referbed ships and new ones. There are a few of the older ships we love to cruise on. For some reason the warm feeling of the older ships we like.

5 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Thank you for that. Since I retired 10 years ago we started cruising alot. Minimum 4 did 8 one year. Got to Diamond that year. Do not much care for where the ship is going anymore. We do love the ships and all they offer. Doing our best to now do referbed ships and new ones. There are a few of the older ships we love to cruise on. For some reason the warm feeling of the older ships we like.

It's called nostalgia. It's something like older people like me can relate to and appreciate. Nothing wrong with that at all.