Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
galliegirlie

cost of Almaplena day pass

Recommended Posts

I will be in Costa Maya on 2/15/19 on the Cayamo cruise.  I've visited all the ruin options on previous cruises, so this time I was just planning to chill at a nice beach for the day.  I was going to check out Maya Chan but they are already fully booked for the day.  Almaplena looks beautiful and great reviews so I reach out to them and got a quote back of $85 for the day ($45 day pass + $40 transportation).  Is it just me or is this really expensive?  Is this the recent cost that others are paying?  Is it worth it?

 

Blue Kay sounds interesting as well, but I can't figure out the website (from Spanish to English) and how to review prices and menu options.  Can I just show up and pay in person? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almaplena is further down the coast than other beach clubs, so there could be a higher taxi rate, but $40 sounds a bit expensive.

 

You can just show up at Blue Kay,  If you take the tram, get off the first stop and head back toward the lighthouse.  You'll pass the entrance sign to Blue Kay while on the tram.  Or walk outside the cruise port, about a block or two further than the parking lot and ask "Captain Charlie" for a taxi directly to Blue Kay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, galliegirlie said:

I will be in Costa Maya on 2/15/19 on the Cayamo cruise.  I've visited all the ruin options on previous cruises, so this time I was just planning to chill at a nice beach for the day.  I was going to check out Maya Chan but they are already fully booked for the day.  Almaplena looks beautiful and great reviews so I reach out to them and got a quote back of $85 for the day ($45 day pass + $40 transportation).  Is it just me or is this really expensive?  Is this the recent cost that others are paying?  Is it worth it?

 

Blue Kay sounds interesting as well, but I can't figure out the website (from Spanish to English) and how to review prices and menu options.  Can I just show up and pay in person? 

That sounds way high. A couple years back we paid $64 a person and that included transportation. How many people are in your group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was checking the website recently for my upcoming cruise and it says for 2-20 people charge is $59pp including transportation. Is this incorrect or were you travelling as a single?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I was checking the website recently for my upcoming cruise and it says for 2-20 people charge is $59pp including transportation. Is this incorrect or were you travelling as a single?

 

I am traveling solo.  so maybe they jack up the price figuring that they can't split the transportation cost between multiple people.  should I ask if I could just pay for the beach pass and plan to get my own transportation there and back?  Does the set taxi rate work for beach resorts that far down?  Are there taxi's there readily available to take back?

 

Maybe I should look more into Blue Kay going as a single.  Can I just show up and pay as I go?  Or do they offer an AI option?  Has anyone had more luck with their website than I?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their website isn’t very good.  We love Blue Key.  Just show up via taxi.  The food at the little bar is excellent.  There’s a chill little black cat there named Lola.  We’ve enjoyed her company since she was a kitten.  She sits on the chair next to me while we eat.  

7F2BF84D-66D9-4EDD-A969-AEA563A0857B.jpeg

73F461FC-78CA-45C6-901B-C8A138EC6772.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, galliegirlie said:

 

I am traveling solo.  so maybe they jack up the price figuring that they can't split the transportation cost between multiple people.  should I ask if I could just pay for the beach pass and plan to get my own transportation there and back?  Does the set taxi rate work for beach resorts that far down?  Are there taxi's there readily available to take back?

There aren't taxis readily available at Almaplena. In fact, when your taxi takes you there you let the Almaplena folks know what time you want to return and they arrange for the same taxi driver to come back and get you at that predetermined time. Almaplena is way out there so I'm guessing the set rates might not apply.

 

Based on that you're a single and the higher cost for that, I too would recommend staying closer which will definitely be cheaper and easier.

 

We also love Tropicante which isn't too from the port. (You can see the ships in the background.)

IMG_3831.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We chose Jamies Blue Reef after reading reviews here and on Trip Advisor. He got right back to us and seemed like a nice guy that appreciates the business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...