QV or QE for a full world cruise?

Tampa Girl

We are considering a WC in 2021, hoping that perhaps the QV will do a full circumference.  We have been on a trans-Atlantic with the QM2 but have no desire to sail her again, despite the fact that she is a beautiful ship.  Does anyone have a preference re the QV or the QE?  And, if so, why?  Are there differences in the food; the library; entertainment; etc?  

In case it matters, we recently got off HAL's Amsterdam on her 2018 Grand Asia.  We had a wonderful time and loved the ship.  However, Ashford appears intent on removing everything on his other ships that we like, so we are considering returning to Cunard.    Thanks in advance for any input.

HI TAMPA GIRL, 

I much prefer the QV, mainly for the crew onboard and before the renovations she was a much prettier ship from the outside. I think moving the chartroom was a mistake and was a pure revenue gatherer - up until then she was definately a superior experience. Although now diluted she still has a lovely feel,

You might be limited as to who you choose though for your WC, they are only currently sending one per year as a full circumnavigation and you won't know until the release date which ship it will be.  I had a plan to do the WC again in 2021, however we are defending the next Americas Cup that year and nothing is going to stop me being out on the water for that! 

Which ever ship you choose though, a WC on Cunard is unbeatable. Good luck

I have my doubts QE will be back to doing a conventional world cruise in 2021. If the cruise schedule on the website for the Port Authority of New South Wales is to be believed, QE will be in Australia during January, February, and at least the early part of March 2021.

17 hours ago, roscoe39 said:

HI TAMPA GIRL, 

I much prefer the QV, mainly for the crew onboard and before the renovations she was a much prettier ship from the outside. I think moving the chartroom was a mistake and was a pure revenue gatherer - up until then she was definately a superior experience. Although now diluted she still has a lovely feel,

Y

Which ever ship you choose though, a WC on Cunard is unbeatable. Good luck

What is the chart room and where was it moved from and to?  We have been very disappointed in the many changes HAL has made in its ships, so we are being extremely careful about which ship we choose.  Is the chart room similar to HAL's Crow's Nest, which takes up the bow of the ship and is a favorite site for drinks and dancing.

7 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

What is the chart room and where was it moved from and to?  We have been very disappointed in the many changes HAL has made in its ships, so we are being extremely careful about which ship we choose.  Is the chart room similar to HAL's Crow's Nest, which takes up the bow of the ship and is a favorite site for drinks and dancing.

Roscoe and others can probably do better than I on these questions since I haven't been on QV since her 2017 refit, but I'll give it a try.

The Chart Room is one of the bars/lounges on QV. It used to be located aft on deck 2 adjacent to the Britannia Restaurant. During the refit it was moved midship on deck 2 into the space previously occupied by the Cafe Carinthia and Champagne Bar to make room for the new Britannia Club Restaurant.

The bar/lounge on QV that's the most similar to HAL's Crow's Nest would be the Commodore Club all the way forward on deck 10.

In terms of the main venues for dancing on QV, those would be the Queens Room on deck 2 and the Yacht Club on deck 10.

I did the full WC on QE in 2016--It was absolutely wonderful. We did not touch South America-it was Southampton to South Africa, Indian Ocean, Southern and Eastern Australia ,Rabaul, The Philippines , China, South Korea, lots of Japan, Taiwan ,  Viet Nam, Cambodia, Thailand, India, Dubai, Muscat, Suez, Malta, Spain and Southampton-I may have left something out. The overland tours were superb and the staff a delight.  One not so great thing-Cunard in what was obviously a a misconceived marketing move sold two and three day ‘hop on hop off’ trips in southern Australia. Bad move Cunard!

I ‘ve been on QE and QV but not since QV’s refit. Until now I prefer QE.

I went around SAmerica on Prinsendam-that was also a great cruise-68 days- with outstanding tours. 

You’ll have a grand time-Enjoy!

On 1/23/2019 at 4:15 PM, Tampa Girl said:

We are considering a WC in 2021, hoping that perhaps the QV will do a full circumference.  We have been on a trans-Atlantic with the QM2 but have no desire to sail her again, despite the fact that she is a beautiful ship.  Does anyone have a preference re the QV or the QE?  And, if so, why?  Are there differences in the food; the library; entertainment; etc?  

In case it matters, we recently got off HAL's Amsterdam on her 2018 Grand Asia.  We had a wonderful time and loved the ship.  However, Ashford appears intent on removing everything on his other ships that we like, so we are considering returning to Cunard.    Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi Tampa Girl,

We are just down down the road in Sarasota, and did the full WC on the QE last year. We've also done several HAL Grand Voyages and segments of the HAL WC and a full WC on Crystal, so if I can help you make comparisons, please send me an email:

ricki at aol.com.

Ricki

Hi Tampa Girl,

I have done a world cruise on all three different Cunard ships over the last ten years. I have no preference as all three ships are wonderful. I tend to 

go for the intnerary. The the best world cruise in my opinion is when you do the full circumnavigation.

Other world cruises, or grand voyages are very nice also. We did a world cruise on QM2 which was 108 night and we circumnavigated Australia twice before heading off to Asia. I have also done the WC voyage around South America. That was the one I least preferred.

So all World cruises on Cunard are very special, and all three ships are great, however for me the best one was on QE 120 nights. Just my personal taste and it was a lovely world cruise as far as ports of call were concerned and I go for the ports, itinerary first rather than the ship. Which ever you choose it will be fabulous!

On 1/24/2019 at 11:32 PM, roscoe39 said:

spot on Bluemarlble, the chart room was a very popular venue in the past for jazz and for the WC sectioned off area, its loss is sadly felt. 

I have to agree with your comments. The chart room was a great place to meet and on QV maiden world  cruise it was very popular as meeting place for world cruisers. I was recently on QV. Nov/ Dec 2018, and  since her refit and find  it hard not think of the Chart Room the way it used to be.