Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Island Venturer

Tear Down That Wall!

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Observer said:

 

I heard that there is thought of removing Asian orientation to the second restaurant and instead making it a restaurant featuring dishes appropriate to the region in which the ship is then cruising.

 

Oooh, where and when did you hear that? Although I am really looking forward to sampling Indochine (and I suspect I will enjoy it more than I will Atlantide), I would happily trade it for a focus on regional cuisine. Sounds like that would be more fun for the chefs, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed Indochine on the Muse.  I would be disappointed if it was eliminated on the Moon.  We are looking at the first Moon cruise in 2020 but are hesitant since it is the first sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 3:13 PM, SJS-TX said:

We are looking at the first Moon cruise in 2020 but are hesitant since it is the first sailing.

You couldn't pay me to take the first sailing on a new ship, or even after a dry dock.  :classic_smile:  Let me rephrase that, you could pay me, but I certainly wouldn't part with my hard earned money for a first sailing.  Personally, we're looking at a Moon voyage, but I'm not sure we'll book it because it'll only be the 10th voyage and based on the growing pains of the Muse, not sure whether we'll trust the Moon will have all the kinks worked out. 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

You couldn't pay me to take the first sailing on a new ship, or even after a dry dock.  :classic_smile:  Let me rephrase that, you could pay me, but I certainly wouldn't part with my hard earned money for a first sailing.  Personally, we're looking at a Moon voyage, but I'm not sure we'll book it because it'll only be the 10th voyage and based on the growing pains of the Muse, not sure whether we'll trust the Moon will have all the kinks worked out. 😃

That appears to be the consequences on first sailings and dry docks.  The itinerary is exactly what we were looking for.  Then I figured out it was the first sailing and stepped back.  Definitely a lot to think about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate this interesting thread with its very provocative headline.  We sailed on the Silver Spirit in June 2017 prior to its "re-do", stretching and DR division.  Now, we are 166 days to departing from Vancouver for our first sailing on the Silver Muse and doing our initial Alaska cruise.  

 

Looking forward to sampling the Muse and its supposed "future-look" for Silversea. Since we will be on the ship for only seven nights, not sure how important for us will be the pro/con factors with this division.  From five past SS cruises (four on Silver Cloud), we have been big fans of La Terrazza.  Keep up the great posts, sharing, tips, insights, etc., related to the Silver Muse. Looking to learn more in order to maximize our experience on this ship. 

 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

 

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,262 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 3:36 PM, Stumblefoot said:

It would be pretty shocking because the Moon was supposed to be the twin of the Muse.  Plus, you've got the Silver Dawn, another sister ship to be delivered the fall of '21 followed by an unnamed as of yet Muse class ship in 2022.

 

I remembered this thread from last month after I was eyeing a Moon cruise and noticed again (as mentioned) that Indochine was no longer listed in the restaurants.It still isn't, though deck plans are now available and it seems that Atlantide has grown - but Indochine is now simply called "Dining". I'm guessing there will be something as yet decided - but not Indochine. Gutted.

 

It amazes me that such important information still hasn't materialised yet. I was giving one cruise serious consideration, but Indochine disappearing, its now a deal breaker, unless SS pull their finger out and spell out what it'll be.

 

Deck Plan attached

 

 

Deck_Plans_SilverMoon.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, les37b said:

Indochine is now simply called "Dining". I'm guessing there will be something as yet decided - but not Indochine. Gutted.

I wouldn’t worry too much.  La Dame isn’t labeled either and the space is still there.  Most likely, they are merely working on rebranding the spaces and possibly even moving away from Relais & Chateau.

 

What Moon voyage were you looking at?  We booked the 10th voyage while on board the Shadow last week (Barcelona to Barcelona) as well as the TA.  The combo savings were absolutely incredible and much, much better than the typical back-to-back pricing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

I wouldn’t worry too much.  La Dame isn’t labeled either and the space is still there.  Most likely, they are merely working on rebranding the spaces and possibly even moving away from Relais & Chateau.

 

What Moon voyage were you looking at?  We booked the 10th voyage while on board the Shadow last week (Barcelona to Barcelona) as well as the TA.  The combo savings were absolutely incredible and much, much better than the typical back-to-back pricing.

 

I certainly wouldn't be too concerned if they replaced La Dame, but the space that had been reserved for Indochine would have a personal negative impact. Its clear they have something in the pipeline to change too (or at least thinking about it). I just think these sort of things impact your decision making and ought not to be messed about. The fact they have listened to the request to expand Atlantide (which I do agree is a good call as it was definitely more popular than Indochine), I hope they also listen the the praise for this restaurant also. I've seen numerous express the view it was the most enjoyable - myself included.

 

Yes, the Barcelona to Barcelona on 30th October was the one I was looking at. I struggled to understand what you meant by Combo - but can see now what you mean.

 

There are 3 or 4 others (Spirit and Shadow) I am looking at, so I will probably pass on the moon without that info sort. I will drop you an email with some info that may be of interest on the "whys"..... 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

What Moon voyage were you looking at?  We booked the 10th voyage while on board the Shadow last week (Barcelona to Barcelona) as well as the TA.  The combo savings were absolutely incredible and much, much better than the typical back-to-back pricing.

 

Hey Stumble,

I've had the Moon TA booked for ages - really looking forward to it - seeya then if not before!

 

PS Was it just speculation here, or was I told onboard my last cruise, that they are thinking of using the 'Indochine' dining space with changing menus to reflect the cuisine of the area in which the ship is sailing? That'd suit me, I disliked the Indochine food altho' I liked the actual room.

An Atlantide larger than on the Muse is an obvious necessity, but looking at the deck plan, the Moon's doesn't look any different to the Spirit's Atlantide. Which is adequate, so that's OK.

Edited by jollyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, les37b said:

 

 

There are 3 or 4 others (Spirit and Shadow) I am looking at, so I will probably pass on the moon without that info sort. I will drop you an email with some info that may be of interest on the "whys"..... 

 

6 hours ago, les37b said:

We are booking the Shadow October 29, 2020 from Venice to Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.  Is that one of the ones under consideration?  Would love to meet you.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

 

Hey Stumble,

I've had the Moon TA booked for ages - really looking forward to it - seeya then if not before!

 

PS Was it just speculation here, or was I told onboard my last cruise, that they are thinking of using the 'Indochine' dining space with changing menus to reflect the cuisine of the area in which the ship is sailing? That'd suit me, I disliked the Indochine food altho' I liked the actual room.

An Atlantide larger than on the Muse is an obvious necessity, but looking at the deck plan, the Moon's doesn't look any different to the Spirit's Atlantide. Which is adequate, so that's OK.

Awesome!  Would be fun Jolly.

 

I saw the speculation here and have done some digging on the concept of changing Indochine to a more regional focus based on itineraries.  While I fully support this idea, it's merely an idea at this point.  And, you are right, based on the deck plans posted by Les, Atlantide on the Moon is no bigger than what it is on the Muse.

 

To me, based on the current space, I think RCL could really hurt SS if they were to try and implement such a regional cuisine idea within the confines of the Indochine space.  Why?  It's not large enough.  For example, I think demand for regional cuisine would be huge and outstrip the available supply of space (tables).  IMHO, if RCL wants to execute such an idea, SS would be better served to do so through a traditional restaurant space (which they have moved away from) via menu offerings, rather than via physical space.  Of course, they could further RCL's tradition of nickel and diming guests and make such a regional restaurant available only to those willing to pay a cover charge.  I have a feeling THAT particular idea wouldn't sit very well with existing SS clientele when the brand continues to tout "all-inclusive" fares yet charges incremental fees in two dining venues already on the Muse class ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, les37b said:

Yes, the Barcelona to Barcelona on 30th October was the one I was looking at. I struggled to understand what you meant by Combo - but can see now what you mean.

 

There are 3 or 4 others (Spirit and Shadow) I am looking at, so I will probably pass on the moon without that info sort. I will drop you an email with some info that may be of interest on the "whys"..... 

I look forward to your email Les as we have to make final payment on Feb 28.

On the combo comment, if you look at the silver privilege fare itself, the savings on a Superior Veranda are $2,200/pp or -14.7% versus booking those voyages separately.  For us, the savings were even more extensive as we were able to couple a -$1,000 air credit with the Venetian Society credit from the Barcelona to Barcelona voyage along with the early booking discount, in addition to the 5% on board savings, loyalty savings, and back-to-back voyages.  All in, our savings were over 33% for this particular Moon voyage.  Too good to pass up in our mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 1:25 PM, Emtbsam said:

We are booking the Shadow October 29, 2020 from Venice to Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale.  Is that one of the ones under consideration?  Would love to meet you.

 

 

Excuse the late reply, I had to double check before replying. I honestly couldn't remember which one it was and with good reason! It was actually 2 Spirit and 1 muse in the end, so not Shadow after all.

 

Yes it would be good to meet...... So close in HCMC! I did visit the Whisper to have a quick mooch on the 1st day in the late afternoon.

 

With a Nordic cruise booked in mid summer, its actually made things more difficult to pick something else that'll fit into work patterns and is actually dependant on something I'm hoping will come off, so its not definite I'll have another booking in 2020. Fingers crossed though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could not agree more.  We took a 15 day cruise and the menu in Atlantide never changed once, except for one appetizer.  There was never any poultry, pork or pasta offered.  Of the 5 meat choices, 3 were steak!  We have taken 8 previous Silversea cruises and loved them, but we cancelled our next one because of the lack of menu changes.  Also, Atlantide is the only restaurant where you can join a table.  One of the pleasures of Silversea in the past is making new friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, West Windsor girl said:

Also, Atlantide is the only restaurant where you can join a table.  One of the pleasures of Silversea in the past is making new friends.

 

Agreed about the pleasure of making new friends.  A fairly recent experience on Spirit provides evidence that one can join tables in Indochine and La Terrazza.  I did so in both venues.  I suppose it may depend upon the time you arrive, how busy the restaurant is, how cooperative the MD feels, etc.  But it is definitely possible in outlets other than Atlantide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, West Windsor girl said:

Atlantide is the only restaurant where you can join a table.  One of the pleasures of Silversea in the past is making new friends.

When was your voyage?  On both Muse voyages I was on (Nov '17 and Jun '18), we joined tables in La Terrazza and Indochine without any issues.  Even shared a table of 8 in La Terrazza less than 2-weeks ago on the Shadow. 

Hoping some new policy hasn't been implemented that I'm not aware of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2019
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...