Cruise Critic Community
lenquixote66

First time in Grenada

We will be in Grenada for the first time in Oct.2019. How far is the shopping area from the cruiseport ?

12 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We will be in Grenada for the first time in Oct.2019. How far is the shopping area from the cruiseport ?

Duty Free and a good selection of shops and stall are in and around the port area.  Small supermarket through the tunnel by the Bay.

Caution:  If flying home, check the alcoholic strength of local rums as some are up to 99% (Carriacou)

Also, some "Bush Rum" may look attractive,  reasonable, fun, but the "Local Erbs" inside the bottle, used as infusions, may cause an arrest at US Immigration.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Predictive text

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Duty Free and a good selection of shops and stall are in and around the port area.  Small supermarket through the tunnel by the Bay.

Caution:  If flying home, check the alcoholic strength of local rums as some are up to 99% (Carriacou)

Also, some "Bush Rum" may look attractive,  reasonable, fun, but the "Local Erbs" inside the bottle, used as infusions, may cause an arrest at US Immigration.

How about the outdoor market.  Is it through the same tunnel?

43 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

How about the outdoor market.  Is it through the same tunnel?

If you are talking about the ethnic market where locals shop, then yes, it is "Young Street Market".

Through the tunnel (Young Street is directly opposite across the bay)

Walk round the bay and Young Street is on your right. 

Don't forget to barter.  Offer half of what the sellers say in first instance.

Keep valuables close to the body.  No bling in sight.

First time also in Grenada, I hope it's ok if I ask question in this post instead of starting a new one!

So we will be a couple looking for some beach time and some local visit to see what this place is all about, do you

have any suggestions?  Thanks

1 hour ago, Frenchsnowhite said:

First time also in Grenada, I hope it's ok if I ask question in this post instead of starting a new one!

So we will be a couple looking for some beach time and some local visit to see what this place is all about, do you

have any suggestions?  Thanks

We were there in December and used JnJ Tours and were happy with them. We saw Annandale Falls, the Grand Etang Lake, rainforest, monkeys, the chocolate factory and the fort. We originally had requested for them to drop us at Grand Anse Beach and were going to take the water taxi back, but it started raining so we decided to return to the ship with the others on our tour. I believe they will customize a tour to see exactly whet you are interested in seeing. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.jnjtours.com/site/84dbf60883bc4aa6b53dc604fc9eb178/home?url=http%3A%2F%2Fjnjtours.com#2854

Be sure to buy a Spice Necklace to hang in your kitchen at home while you're there!  :classic_cool:

One thing about the water taxi at Grand Anse beach.  They wait to fill before setting off, so if you're returning to the ship make sure you have plenty of time.

22 minutes ago, Lard Greystoke said:

One thing about the water taxi at Grand Anse beach.  They wait to fill before setting off, so if you're returning to the ship make sure you have plenty of time.

Plenty of time, plus plenty of patience, plus weatherproof outer covering as it usually rains, and sometimes very heavily.

Give GA, noise, crowds and T'erds a miss, take a taxi over the hill to sanity.

Hello

I would suggest that you download Tom’s Port Guide. It is a good reference for getting around Grenada. 

There are are two ways to the market either thru the tunnel or climb the stairs over the tunnel. I have done both. The nicest thing about the climb is it has a nice view when you get to the top.

Can one of the locals on here tele if the Mandalay  tall ship is also at the cruise pier?

Oh i know the sailing schedule . It just shows 3 places to dock. I was trying to determine if it came to  the regular cruise ship pier. 

36 minutes ago, tinkr2 said:

Oh i know the sailing schedule . It just shows 3 places to dock. I was trying to determine if it came to  the regular cruise ship pier. 

Drop an Email to

Info@tropicalsails.com 

As published on the website, they should have all your answers