Tamron 18-400 lens on a Sony a5000?

I bought a Sony a5000 to replace my old P&S camera awhile ago.  I used it on our trip to Europe and enjoyed it.  Mainly I used the basic kit lens (16-35) and did not have any problems.  At times I did switch to the longer reach lens (200), but found that switching lenses is not what I want to spend my time doing.  I am not a fantastic photographer like many of you, but my pictures turn out pretty well, considering my amateur status.  However, I still prefer to "point and shoot" rather than to figure out manual settings while I am in a hurry or on a tour. 

We are heading to Alaska in May.  We have a whale watch and bear search tour scheduled in Icy Strait Point, along with other opportunities to view wildlife.  I have been advised to purchase a Tamron 18-400 lens, but I have read mixed reviews on how well they work with the Sony alpha cameras.  Plus, they are so pricey!  I mainly use this camera when we travel, which is about 5 weeks a year.  Is it worth it for me to spring for this lens?  Can I even use it with my Sony?   My photobooks are my main souvenirs of our trips, so even though I am not a pro, the pictures are important to me.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

Adapted to the A5000 (no native version), it would likely be manual focus only or so slow that manual would be preferable.

Since the camera doesn't see much use the rest of the year (tsk, tsk..😉), you may consider renting an A7III or A6500 and a 100-400 zoom for the duration of the trip for wildlife and such and use the A5000 as the walkabout camera. Check lensrentals.com.

Dave

Edited by pierces

I tested my Nikon version on my A6000, which may be similar, with a rented adapter (would have to go back and look)...

Newp.   I mean it worked, but slow and clunky and completely unsuitable for wildlife.

The Canon adapters supposedly work better, but I am a Nikon Primary shooter.

Definitely don't buy the lens for 5 times a year with that body.    Rent as needed or upgrade the body as can.  

Having gone to Alaska without, there is no way I would go without at least something in the 400 range now.

I use the Tamron on my Canon, the lens just before the newer 18-400. I like it. Not a big need to change lens. It is kind of an all in one.

One word of advise, if you are going to purchase one, get it from a camera store. You may pay a little more, but it will have the company warranty. I found a great deal online for the lens. Received it, went on line to register it for the warranty. Tamron would not recognized it. So, I called them. They said it was a Gray Market lens. Sold overseas and then brought back to the US. Called the company I bought it from, explained the problem, they credited my account, no questions asked.

An official Tamron box, will have a Holograph sticker on the box.

Re the last two posts - yes its a great lens on a Nikon or Canon.  My favorite actually.(or a close tie with my Sigma Art 18-105)

However, since there is no native Sony mount for the a6x series that I know of, that is irrelevant, because you now have to use an adapter to make the lens work, which can, depending on adapter, significantly impact performance.

• 4 weeks later...

I put my wrong camera in the title.  I have an a6000, not a5000.  I have decided to stick with my kit lenses.  I just don't do enough to justify the cost and those lenses work just fine for my needs most of the time.  I went to Europe with those lenses this last summer/fall and they worked great!  If I have to crop afterwards,  I will.  Thank you all for the input.

1 hour ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

I put my wrong camera in the title.  I have an a6000, not a5000.  I have decided to stick with my kit lenses.  I just don't do enough to justify the cost and those lenses work just fine for my needs most of the time.  I went to Europe with those lenses this last summer/fall and they worked great!  If I have to crop afterwards,  I will.  Thank you all for the input.

The A6000 is a different story. You may want to look into renting an FE 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 or the FE 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 from somewhere like Lensrentals.com. Both are full-frame e-mount lenses but work fine on the A6x00 cameras natively without an adapter. I picked up the 70-300 after I bought my A7III but it has spent more time on the A6300 because the crop factor makes it a very nice 105-450 zoom. 🙂

The kit 55-210 will work on whales, but...Alaska!

Dave

Here's a shot from the A6300 with the 70-300. I was using AF-C continuous focus and it did a great job as he was running directly at me.

1935857263_FlagFootball2018-09330.thumb.jpg.7aa92e4b609c6443af5de9a2ede482d8.jpg

Edited by pierces

• 3 weeks later...

Photobooks are my primary souvenir, too!

It sounds like photo quality is important to you. Since there's going to be some wildlife stuff, it's best to use the best performing lenses for your camera. Nothing beats a natively mounted lens (something built specifically for your Sony's e-mount). My recommendation--rent the 100-400mm GM or 70-300 FE, bring it out when you start to see whales far off. Your camera's crop sensor will actually multiple the reach of the lenses by 1.5...so the 100mm becomes a 150mm for instance.