Cruise Critic Community
rafinmd

Basel to Zurich

I am ending a river cruise in Basel (Crystal Bach) and flying out of Zurich 2 days later.  I will have more luggage than I am comfortable carrying on a train.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a car service or other way of getting to Basel?

Thanks

Roy

Since you are flying out two days later, you can use a service whereby you can send your luggage from Basel to Zurich airport station ahead of you.  The cost is 12 swiss francs (about $12) per bag.  They will store bags for 2 days.

Full disclosure:  we haven't used this service as yet, but intend to do so when we DIY Lucerne for 3 days/2 nights after our AMS--BAS cruise in the fall.  We will live out of 1 carry on bag in Lucerne, having sent the bulkier bags from Basel to Zurich flughaven station.

Sounds ideal although the description is a little skimpy.  The price I am seeing is CHF 22.  Do you have a rail card?

Roy

No, I just looked it up on the SBB site.   Is 22 CHF for the service where they pick up or deliver luggage to an address?  I do not have a rail card.

I read this post and I hope that someone can help in providing some guidance on this same type of transfer without a overnight stay.  My sister and mother is going on a river cruise which ends in Basel.  They are flying out of Zurich that same day in the afternoon,  come to find out that the cruise line does not offer a transfer to Zurich, so they are on their own in finding transportation to the airport.  They never been out of the country before and they are starting to freak out so I decided to help them out since I have Cruise Critic account and they don't.  Thanks in advance for the help. 

@agmakar, if their cruise director can get them a taxi to the Basel SBB station, there are frequent trains to Zurich Flughaven station, which is in the lower level of the airport.  We have told by many folks that signage is in English, and customer service personnel speak English better than we do!  If they will have lots of luggage, it might be worth to pay extra for first class, since there is supposed to be more luggage space in those cars. 

Those with first hand experience, please verify or correct my info!

47 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

@agmakar, if their cruise director can get them a taxi to the Basel SBB station, there are frequent trains to Zurich Flughaven station, which is in the lower level of the airport.  We have told by many folks that signage is in English, and customer service personnel speak English better than we do!  If they will have lots of luggage, it might be worth to pay extra for first class, since there is supposed to be more luggage space in those cars. 

This is certainly the simplest approach. However, they do need to be able to handle their luggage.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:59 AM, sharkster77 said:

We rarely use the trains to and from European airports, preferring a taxi, but when we stayed in Lucerne a couple of years ago, we did use the excellent train service to Zurich airport.

It is just as described above, and quite easy if you have luggage that rolls.  We were only 2nd class, I think, but there was plenty of room for luggage and the train stopped directly under the airport.  It was a simple walk with a few escalators up to the hall with the check in desks.

We wouldn't hesitate to do it again.