Cruise Critic Community
kitkat95

Cozumel vs. Costa Maya

This is a question for all the seasoned cruisers out there.

We are going to Costa Maya for the afternoon/evening, then to Cozumel for the whole day. We have already been to Cozumel, going on a horseback ride with Mr. Sanchos and touring the KaoKao Chocolate Factory, as well as doing shopping at the port. The water was beautiful making us envious of those who had opted for using Cozumel as their beach day (we did Progreso, and that was not near as pretty). What we would like to know is this: would Cozumel be the best port for a beach day (which we are thinking about doing) and saving Costa Maya for our exploring/shopping, or the other way around? Which is the better beach? Also, would either port be considered decent to walk a half hour to get to a location, or would hiring a taxi be the recommendation?

What are some recommended activities that are relatively inexpensive in both ports?

Thanks in advance!

In Cozumel most of the popular beach clubs are a $12-17 taxi ride from the 3 cruise ship piers.  Read reviews for Money Bar, Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Macho Cocom, and Playa Mia.  Even farther away is Playa Palancar.

We're on the same cruise, and have booked beach days Maya Chan in Costa Maya and Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.  We have the same questions about which port would be best for some shopping ... decent quality "local" items, not cheapo souvenirs.  We'll have more time to do it in Cozumel, but for some reason I'm guessing better prices in Costa Maya??  

As for how nice our beaches will be on the days we visit, we're at the mercy of the infamous "Sargasso" seagrass (a recent problem all over the Caribbean). We're easy-going, so will be glad to experience whatever happens.  If seagrass is particularly bad, Maya Chan will let us know when they meet us at port, and will offer a full refund. I appreciated the owners' message in our confirmation email: 
We don't have pristine water since we all keep our waters natural. Just like it should be. We clean our beach of seagrass everyday. The Costa Maya Coastline is a turtle preserve. ... In town, they use dredges and tractors to make it look better.  If you want the real Caribbean experience, then our place is for you. 

15 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Nachi Cocom

Yeah, the auto correct on my new Fire is giving me issues.

We were in Costa Maya last April, not impressed with beaches at all, too much sea grass and very smelly. Shopping area near ship very nice and there is a pool there.

Cozumel much better for beaches and shopping. I wish they would replace Costa Maya wth another port.

9 hours ago, realnice46 said:

We were in Costa Maya last April, not impressed with beaches at all, too much sea grass and very smelly. Shopping area near ship very nice and there is a pool there.

Cozumel much better for beaches and shopping. I wish they would replace Costa Maya wth another port.

I happen to love Costa Maya, or at least the old Mahahual beaches. The
rustic", fishing village, meme appeals to me. (Pining for the old days of Cha Chi and Cat's Meow; or even the rebuilding days of Tropicante, Pez Quadro and Jaime's Nohoch Kay and Fernado's off the beach place).

But for shopping, Cozumel is a no brainer.  For beaches with activities, Cozumel is a no brainer.   Use Costa Maya for a "history day" and head for the Maya ruins and Mayan culture tours offered by Native Choice.

Edited by crewsweeper

On 1/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, realnice46 said:

This is why it’s so important to get different perspectives.  Costa Maya is perhaps our favorite beach port for many of the reasons crewsweeper mentioned.  There was sargassum on every beach in the Caribbean last year but we still had a great day at Blue Key even without enjoying the clear water that is the norm there.  If I could get a port replaced it would definitely be Jamaica, not Costa Maya, but I’m absolutely sure there are folks that love Jamaica as much as I never will.  Different strokes.