X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

Bimmer09

25 minutes ago, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks Jazzbeau! 

I'm an early riser by nature and especially when at sea.

I've never had a Gin and Tonic but with a beverage package I should try one as it is my younger sister's favorite tipple (odd word) and she and her husband are great entertainers. "Would you like a wee drop o' Jamesons" asks her husband and Norris says "don't mind if I do"

Is there a particular brand I should try for my first?

If they don't offer you a sunrise G & T on Azamara I recommend a stiff note (on cardboard which is really stiff). "Dear so-called Captain_____"

Cheers. Or bottoms up!

Norris 

After a few G&Ts anything I write would be a 'stiff note,' regardless of the tensile strength of the paper...

If they have FeverTree tonic, here is a chart to show the best combinations of Gins and Tonic types:

fever-tree_pairing-wheel_starburst.jpg

But if they are still serving the universally-hated Royal Club tonic, I would say avoid G&T on Azamara [just because Azamara and Royal both have 'club' in their name is no reason...] – ask instead for Gin and St-Germain Elderflower liqueur [or an 'Ultraviolet' which I recently had on Celebrity that was quite nice].

Among the gins likely to be available, I would recommend Hendricks with the Elderflower tonic and Tanqueray No 10 with the Mediterranean.  [But as you can see, the chart gives you a mandate for a lifetime of experimentation.  I came home from LHR with a litre of Silent Pool and have been enjoying it greatly with the FeverTree Elderflower tonic – no need for a lime garnish, and ice just tends to dilute the whole thing so it's best to keep both ingredients in the 'fridge...]

BTW, now that you are home, you can find FeverTree at Target, Whole Foods, and more and more stores in the US.

• Like 2

Hi Jazzbeau! This is so odd! I am not an alcohol drinker but I drink a small bottle of tonic water every night and it’s Fever Tree all the way. But I get it delivered with my groceries from Peapod, where the selection is “tonic” or “no tonic.” I had no idea there were other flavors. I will investigate Whole Foods delivery. 

Carol 

8 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

I found a short video clip from our brunch...

In case you are wondering about my T-shirt it refers to Lyric Opera of Chicago’s upcoming production of Richard Wagner’s Ring Cycle (it’s in 2020 and we just ordered our tickets). We travel all over the world to see the Ring and this will be my 15th I believe. Norris has seen a few fewer as I saw several before I met hm. I like to wear an opera T-shirt on sea days because it always snags a like minded person. And so it did, as a lovely man from St Louis hailed me in the buffet line and we started talking Rings, much to the annoyance of folks trying to reach for the smoked salmon! Presto, a new friend!

Edited by Deck Chair Queen
  • Like 3

French Night in Discoveries

47013014032_420be36dc4_b.jpg

Discoveries Bar

47065172291_1f32a29dab_b.jpg

40100359023_84e6e75574_b.jpg

we are led to our table way at the back right corner of the room

46341388744_7aa8c9b587_b.jpg

46341385724_495b0139d5_b.jpg

47013060712_a6e55fed2d_b.jpg

When I asked for my Malbec tonight I also asked for a Reidel glass, as I do on Princess.

A minute or two later a sommelier came by to explain that only the Specialty restaurants

have those and they can't be brought to Discoveries in case they suffer breakage and everyone would want one. There was even a Reidel appreciation class listed in The Insider.

I let the matter go. The wine glasses in Discoveries aren't rubbish like the ones on Princess.

If there is country pate on a menu then bring me some garçon !

47013066142_ce79de98b6_b.jpg

Carol's Boston lettuce salad

47013070092_c742350185_b.jpg

both of us enjoy a nice thick lentil soup

46341391014_7fd1e880c8_b.jpg

my rich and flavorful Coq au Vin

32123510377_92f8067799_b.jpg

and Carol's orecchiette with lobster and Cognac ragout

33190134608_1fa4d9fa91_b.jpg

my version of a Selfie

40100378623_fabd3cccc4_b.jpg

More....

• Like 1

During our visits to Discoveries we had four different waiter/busboy teams and each was very welcoming, proficient and (meaningful to us) not stuffy or too formal. People who seem happy at work.

Our waiter tonight is Ferdinand from the Philippines and one of our previous waiters whom we would also meet when dining in the Patio is Joseph, also from the Philippines....

The room is clearing out nicely. We sat down at 8.30. There was a show at 9.45 in the Cabaret lounge. A singer called Stephen Millett. Maybe we would look in after dinner, a meal we do not like to rush.

47065207851_b4b733d181_b.jpg

40100382153_aabb073385_b.jpg

46151669165_f8d2bb9f68_b.jpg

my chocolate molten lava cake with vanilla ice cream, tuile and mocha sauce

32123523977_c8fb920241_b.jpg

and Carol's banana beignets

46151674895_8f4a2fb9b0_b.jpg

a roasted pineapple gelato finished the meal

46151673585_0932e3e307_b.jpg

As we were leaving from the back of the room, all the staff we passed, who hadn't served us this week, smiled and wished us a good night or asked "how was you dinner?". Nice.

We walk forward towards the Cabaret lounge.

Norris

• Like 3

Just a quick taste of Stephen Millett. Room packed as usual. He sings well.

32123530997_ea84cc778e_b.jpg

With nowhere to sit and a long excursion in Cienfuegos tomorrow we will call it a night...

After a quick visit to deck 9

47013090442_da2fdf0e51_b.jpg

Norris. More much later...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Walt fan said:

Still following along and enjoying!  I don't know how, but your pics keep getting better and better.  As usual, love the sunset.

Thank you for the compliment on the photos.

I am getting more used to the camera by taking so many pictures and reading the manual at home (600 pages).

Keep following along!

Norris

Norris,

The sunset photos are truly amazing; you've inspired me to make a point of being on deck for sunsets when I am on the Journey in May.  I've been looking forward to my cruise for a while; your photos and menu postings (so many yummy choices 😋) are adding to the excitement.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

11 hours ago, mchell810 said:

Norris,

The sunset photos are truly amazing; you've inspired me to make a point of being on deck for sunsets when I am on the Journey in May.  I've been looking forward to my cruise for a while; your photos and menu postings (so many yummy choices 😋) are adding to the excitement.  Eagerly awaiting the next installment!

Thanks for the photo compliments.

I know of nowhere  I enjoy sunsets more than from the deck of a ship. No buildings in the way.

An uninterrupted horizon.

It began with just Carol and I on deck as the deckhands were lashing together the loungers and when Carol made to move to let them tie hers they told her "No madam. Stay were you are".

She got up anyway but appreciated the gesture. Customer is number 1.

I was surprised so few were on deck for it but there was no way to know it would be a spectacular and long lasting sunset.

It's a free show and we try not to miss one.

Where is the Journey taking you in May?

Norris

Norris, I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful review of the cruise!  The sunset photos are over the top!  I am a sky lover, sunrise and sunsets...they touch my soul.  I’m also a foodie, and love seeing those photos as well!

Can’t wait to keep reading more about your wonderful vacation!

8 hours ago, suzzek said:

Norris, I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful review of the cruise!  The sunset photos are over the top!  I am a sky lover, sunrise and sunsets...they touch my soul.  I’m also a foodie, and love seeing those photos as well!

Can’t wait to keep reading more about your wonderful vacation!

Thank you sussek! I am glad you are following along.

I work today but will have more time tomorrow when I am off.

There's more food pics on the horizon for sure and in Cienfuegos I chose the restaurant for the view. Ditto Santiago de Cuba. I would say Santiago was where Carol had her two most memorable experiences but all will be revealed as we go along.

Norris

13 minutes ago, singinalot said:

I’m back! Welcome almost. Still in Florida but we head home this evening. I’m all caught up reading. Question: up to this point what was your favorite part?

I have had to think about your question as it is a tough one.

I would say lunch in the Paladar in Havana as I was apprehensive and it was the first time we interacted with Cubans without the guide being present-just two or three people but they were welcoming and fun. I don't often go to restaurants where they leave you the bottle of rum on the table, LOL.

They wanted to impress us and they did.

I also very much enjoyed just walking the streets in old Havana with the camera. The streets were swept clean and were quiet and the architecture was pure eye-candy. There would be men playing guitar and singing "became Mucho" on a corner. It was not the norm, that's for sure.

Thanks for asking, Crystal.

Norris

I will post the copy of The Insider for our sea day but can't just at the moment.

It's just after 6 a.m on Saturday and we are slowing down to enter the channel to Cienfuegos

40109350163_552b4a2157_b.jpg

the pinpricks of light are from tiny fishing boats

33207448038_9fef4a7f30_b.jpg

46169033685_cdb690b733_b.jpg

We are maybe 2 miles from the dock in the city

33207454848_e5d3a15134_b.jpg

people are up early, watching us sailing in

46358880484_15534648f3_b.jpg

46169049815_4893aabdbd_b.jpg

47030381542_0038e17f96_b.jpg

To be continued....

• Like 1

Feed me Norris! Feed Me!!

Norris love reading your review and seeing your pictures.  Love your writing style.  I check every day just to get the next dosage.  We were on November 24 Journey to Cuba and loved it.  Only ate in Discoveries for dinner fist night and was disappointing.  Although we had breakfast a few times and the brunch there was excellent.  Thought specialty restaurants were a step up from Luminae so looking forward to hearing about your experience there.

Art

13 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Thanks for the photo compliments.

I know of nowhere  I enjoy sunsets more than from the deck of a ship. No buildings in the way.

An uninterrupted horizon.

It began with just Carol and I on deck as the deckhands were lashing together the loungers and when Carol made to move to let them tie hers they told her "No madam. Stay were you are".

She got up anyway but appreciated the gesture. Customer is number 1.

I was surprised so few were on deck for it but there was no way to know it would be a spectacular and long lasting sunset.

It's a free show and we try not to miss one.

Where is the Journey taking you in May?

Norris

The cruise is through Portugal and Spain, I'm assuming there will be some lovely views.

7 hours ago, Jasperdo said:

Excellent photos of your sail into Cienfuegos. My absolute favorite part of any cruise is sailing into port, especially if it's a new one. Your photos make me feel like I'm standing out on deck with you.

Thank you, John.

I share your love for sailing into port and new ones especially and even more so if it is before a city has woken up. If ever there was a good time to waken up a port with some cannon fire it is dawn but few if any of the new builds have cannons anymore- but, I shouldn't live in the past. Noro virus is one thing but scurvy was no joke.

I have more photos from the sail in as it took a while- the port is invisible from out at sea.

Norris

9 hours ago, Tillylovesseabourn said:

Bimmer, I would definitely try the speciality restaurants on board, We found them to be the highlight of our otherwise moderate Az experience. How is the food comparing with Luminae etc?

Hi Tilly! 

Sorry to hear you had a moderate experience on Azamara but from your screen name it seems you love Seabourn which we have not sailed yet but I am definitely keen to try it. Tell me about it!

Re Luminae. Without the benefit of reading my X reviews (Silly and Reflection) I remember it thus: On Silhouette we had embarkation lunch there and waited 15 minutes to be served. Good burger and fries I recall. We had one breakfast there which was ok. Next day we had breakfast at Blu and never returned to Luminae for breakfast. I think we had one dinner there from a very short menu.

A year later we were on Reflection and Luminae was top-notch and we didn't visit Blu for breakfast and I think we had two fine dinners in Luminae and the service trumped Silly easily.

The ambiance in Luminae is hard to beat-quiet and refined.

After every breakfast and half a dozen dinners on Journey we would say (I just ran the comparison by Carol) that Discoveries food was stellar at every meal-which made Carol wonder why I would want to try a Specialty restaurant. The selection in Luminae (again without consulting my review photos of the menu) was very short- I think 5 entrees. There may have been two that whetted our appetite. On Azamara choosing was hard. Many of the descriptions read so well that we had to take some time to consider the best choice and suffer the loss of choice number 2 through 6.

On Celebrity cruise 1 we ate at Murano and rate that on a par with Az on food quality. I don't mind paying $50 a head in Murano as it is a small, intimate room with stellar service and table-side preparation is my middle name. I've had the lobster flambe both times and Carol raves about the Dover sole.  The room may have 30 tables (guessing) so it is much quieter than Discoveries, where there is no cover charge. For me to consider Discoveries in the same breath as Murano is a high compliment for the food.

On Silhouette we ate in Tuscan grill. During the meal (having been to Italy 3 months prior) we both looked at each other. "how many Italians are working in the kitchen?" I asked Carol.

She looked up. "None?" I nodded.

The chef came out to introduce himself later. He was Jamaican. 

We dined twice in Lawn Club Grill. Good simple grub like we cook ourselves in the summertime.

It was helped by witty banter with the staff serving us. It's a reason we may only sail Silly and Reflection over the other 3 beautiful S Class ships.

Qsine on Reflection was just whimsical fun with some basic food. I'm not personally interested in the new gimmick projection thing they have as I am no longer 10 years old.

Maybe I'll try it once for my review in September.

We eat out a lot-everything from Popeye's Chicken take-away to Michelin Star restaurants. In Chicago our two favorite restaurants are owned by two of Food Networks Iron Chefs-Stephanie Izard and Jose Garces. We return to them time and again. We also eat at a Michelin Star restaurant in Chicago called Sepia. Everybody likes and experiences different things when it comes to food. Our best meals in the USA were enjoyed at 11 Madison in New York and Fleur de Lys (Hubert Keller) in San Francisco. We just know what WE like so when someone says that Discoveries was "Meh" I can't argue with them. I can only relate how it was for me on a given night or cruise.

Neither of us are "foodies". We eat to live. We are not super-picky and have seldom had an inedible meal on a cruise ship. Some things we might not order again but we have always been fed. We are both home cooks-Carol produces restaurant quality meals and I am the comfort food/Indian food cook. We both really appreciate what a galley team can produce night after night on a ship for thousands of different people.

That's my short answer.

Cheers and many thanks for the question!

Norris (who does try Aqualina after we leave Santiago de Cuba)

• Like 3

Not to take this thread further off-Azamara topic, but there was big news today for Luminae:  Celebrity is partnering with NYC chef Daniel Boulud, who will create a 3-course menu that will be offered every day in Luminae across the fleet.  [Also a 5-course tasting menu with wine that will be offered outside Luminae, plus a partnership that will involve training Celebrity chefs in his land restaurants and his personal presence on select Celebrity sailings.  Also a partnership with American Ballet Theatre, but that is even further off-topic!]

Celebrity Cruises Partners with Renowned Chef and American Ballet Theater

11 hours ago, doubled said:

Feed me Norris! Feed Me!!

Norris love reading your review and seeing your pictures.  Love your writing style.  I check every day just to get the next dosage.  We were on November 24 Journey to Cuba and loved it.  Only ate in Discoveries for dinner fist night and was disappointing.  Although we had breakfast a few times and the brunch there was excellent.  Thought specialty restaurants were a step up from Luminae so looking forward to hearing about your experience there.

Art

Art, thanks for joining us and  for the kind comments!

Sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience in Discoveries on your first night.

We go in with expectations of something as good as Princess (10 great cruises).

This experience in Discoveries was beyond that in terms of flavor and variety of dishes (for us).

On X we only had one MDR experience-a disaster-but it was the last night and perhaps the kitchen and the service team ( circus clowns) had thrown in the towel-but maybe 2,000 other diners had an enjoyable meal and we may have been an anomaly. I'm willing to try the X MDR again on the Silhouette.

Our Aquilina experience (we were both in agreement) I'll cover when we leave (sigh) Santiago de Cuba.

Cheers Art!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
text color

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not to take this thread further off-Azamara topic, but there was big news today for Luminae:  Celebrity is partnering with NYC chef Daniel Boulud, who will create a 3-course menu that will be offered every day in Luminae across the fleet.  [Also a 5-course tasting menu with wine that will be offered outside Luminae, plus a partnership that will involve training Celebrity chefs in his land restaurants and his personal presence on select Celebrity sailings.  Also a partnership with American Ballet Theatre, but that is even further off-topic!]

Celebrity Cruises Partners with Renowned Chef and American Ballet Theater

Thanks Jazzbeau- there is no going "off topic" in my world....it's all relevant to me and this is good news when a renowned chef gets involved in cruise cuisine. Kudos to Celebrity!

Also, to you, a special thanks for the exhaustive explanation of the various Gins and tonics. I will try my first on the Silhouette.  May be my last but who knows? I am usually "up for anything" and may even have my first Martini on that cruise.

Cheers!

Norris who will continue the entry to Cienfuegos at first light...