Cruise Critic Community
Bimmer09

X cruiser sails Azamara to Cuba Jan 15 to 24 2019

We are doing the Fjords on P&O's Britannia in July this year so I'll await your Silhouette review with interest to see how it compares to our experience. We've sailed Silhouette a couple of times but found Celebrity service a bit lacking lately (unless you are in a suite) so decided to try P&O. Not sure how it will compare?

12 hours ago, Onelung said:

We are doing the Fjords on P&O's Britannia in July this year so I'll await your Silhouette review with interest to see how it compares to our experience. We've sailed Silhouette a couple of times but found Celebrity service a bit lacking lately (unless you are in a suite) so decided to try P&O. Not sure how it will compare?

Onelung, we haven't been on a Celebrity ship since the Reflection in January 2017 which is when we booked the Silly for September 2018 ( for $10,000 for an aft Sky Suite). Then we changed that to a year later and it cost $11,000 for the same suite.

That was the plan until about a month ago when I was surfing and noticed a Sunset Verandah (posh term for an aft balcony cabin) next door to our S1 on the corner. Half the price of our suite and as we have two more cruises booked and some land trips I figured if we gave the suite a miss we could save enough to pay for our Sky Princess aft balcony cabin next January.

The math was compelling. Carol agreed with me. We will therefore not enjoy Luminae (which we like) nor Michael's which we have only visited once per cruise. We don't need a butler or a saved seat in the theater so we will be faced with the MDR (one crappy experience on Silhouette on our last night but it can't always be that poor) for some meals, but we will have most dinners in Murano, Lawn Club Grill and maybe one Tuscan Grille. I love the Oceanview Cafe, especially the Indian food for lunch, so won't go hungry. We may even try Le Petit Chef for dinner although it sounds like the dumbest most juvenile idea ever. Just typing that makes me think I won't bother. Daft. We'll see. We only tried Qsine once and that was a fun and tasty treat but it's yesterday's news apparently.

We love aft suites but on our last 3 cruises (2 Princess and 1 Azamara) we booked too late to get an aft suite and made do with aft balconies and lived to tell the tale. We also had no Luminae, nor Michael's experience but were happy campers so I am thinking that we will have a fantastic cruise on my favorite ship (Silhouette). I am imagining my review will bear that out but time will tell. We booked the cruise primarily for the Norwegian Fjord experience and will be off the ship everyday but don't expect the Celebrity food and service to disappoint in any way.

My older sister who lives in Northern Ireland sails P & O and NCL (in the Caribbean) but I am unlikely to sail them when I have Princess, Celebrity and lately Azamara to call upon. 

The Britannia is similar to the Regal Princess which I reviewed in October 2017 and a fine tub she was.

Norris

Thanks Norris for the great review.  We sailed to Cuba  yr ago on Celestyal  Cruises and loved it.   Instead of Nassau we went to Montego Bay.     Your review brought back may great memories.   I'd love to go back.   Being Canadian, it's much easier for us to travel to Cuba.

18 hours ago, senior lady said:

Thanks Norris for the great review.  We sailed to Cuba  yr ago on Celestyal  Cruises and loved it.   Instead of Nassau we went to Montego Bay.     Your review brought back may great memories.   I'd love to go back.   Being Canadian, it's much easier for us to travel to Cuba.

Thanks for reading it!

I am sure we will return to Cuba when we have a Government not staffed by circus clowns again. We live in the USA, a "free country" but we're not free to travel apparently which kinda puts us on the same footing as the Cubans, only with access to soft and absorbent toilet paper.

We can't go back often though as we have other new experiences awaiting ....Norway and the Dalmatian ports will be new and right up our alley/fjord. We are already looking at Azamara cruises to islands less traveled in the Med for 2021. But of course if we get tickets for the Wagner Festival in Bayreuth, Germany, all bets are off. Our enjoyment of Wagner surpasses all

and we are very at home in Germany.

Cheers!

Norris

Thanks, Norris, for your excellent review.  We last sailed on Reflection (our fav) in 2017 (too long!) two months after you on the same route, so I was delighted to have your careful review to follow prior to our departure.  Now we, too, are beginning to consider Az as a next line after our planned December 2020 cruise around Cape Horn on Silhouette.  It's been incredibly informative to see so much of the ship and her compliment, and I'm favorably inclined to book as a result!

Thanks again,

Shawn

On 5/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, Drysil said:

Thanks, Norris, for your excellent review.  We last sailed on Reflection (our fav) in 2017 (too long!) two months after you on the same route, so I was delighted to have your careful review to follow prior to our departure.  Now we, too, are beginning to consider Az as a next line after our planned December 2020 cruise around Cape Horn on Silhouette.  It's been incredibly informative to see so much of the ship and her compliment, and I'm favorably inclined to book as a result!

Thanks again,

Shawn

Shawn, thanks for reading this and for reading the Reflection review from January 2017.

I went back to it to read it, after two years and was miffed to see that CC never reinstated all the videos when they remodeled the site last October and after page 10 the photos have disappeared. Not the eternal record I was hoping for alas.

As for Azamara, we have another cruise in October 2020 so you'll have that to read while waiting for your Silhouette cruise which I wish I was going on. Someday we'll cruise South America and see it for ourselves. It's top of my bucket list.

For those who haven't read the Reflection review and want to here is the link...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2361867-celebrity-reflection-january-14-to-21-2017/page/6/

Norris

18 hours ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Such a thorough and entertaining read, Norris! Thank you for taking us along! Can’t wait for your next blog!

My thanks to you for reading it!

Next blog will start September 10 when I get back from London.

Hope you can tune in.

Norris

No restriction has yet been placed on U.S. visitors to Cuba, check the State Department site.   You can also sign up for email updates for changes in travel policy.   U.S. citizens who had property seized by Cuba in the fifties are now permitted to sue.   Two families in Florida are seeing Carnival Cruises because they use piers that were annexed by the Cuban government.   Great for the families, not so great for anyone wanting to visit.   Guess there is no use in suing the Cuban government as they have little cash.   Don’t know who owned the property where the airport is, but most likely any airlines landing there may also be sued.   

Thank you for the review and the fabulous photos of Cuba.  I felt like I was right there with you!  Hopefully one day I will get to visit Cuba but for now planning a cruise to the Mediterranean and off to read a couple of your reviews on those.