Cruise Critic Community
sharkster77

Viking in Cologne: anyone visit the Bruhl palace?

One of the optional tours on our upcoming cruise is the afternoon we are in Cologne, a chance to visit the archbishop-prince's palace in Bruhl.  Has anyone done this tour?  If you have, any comments?  We would be giving up a free afternoon in Cologne to do this.  On a related note, was it easy to walk around Cologne beyond the cathedral square?

Finally, from looking at dailies, Viking seems to sail from Cologne around 11PM.  Did anyone go back into town after dinner?  Was it worthwhile?

Any comments re: Cologne would be appreciated.   The excursion to climb the tower apparently isn't offered during our visit.

THANKS!

12 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

On a related note, was it easy to walk around Cologne beyond the cathedral square?

I've visited Cologne, but not on a river cruise so have no info to share on ship excursions.

Cologne is a large city - more than a million inhabitants if memory correctly serves. I found it easy to explore around the area of the cathedral - it is a short walk to among other things, Alter Markt (historical old center), St. Martin's Church, some fine museums (Ludwig comes immediately to mind)  & the rathaus (town hall). 

We visited the Bruhl palaces and it was one of the highlights of our Viking Grand European Tour. I highly recommend it.

http://culturelocker.com/story/2012/Germany-palace.html

Scroll down in the pictures in this link. The blue delft tile pictures are from the "hunting lodge" when they were "roughing" it.

http://loveisspeed.blogspot.com/2012/02/augustusburg-and-falkenlust-palaces.html

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

@OneSixtyToOne   thanks for the info--seriously thinking about signing up for this.  Let me ask you this--do you feel like you had "enough" time (there never really is enough time on vacation, is there?) in Cologne, given that the tour occupied your afternoon?

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

@OneSixtyToOne   thanks for the info--seriously thinking about signing up for this.  Let me ask you this--do you feel like you had "enough" time (there never really is enough time on vacation, is there?) in Cologne, given that the tour occupied your afternoon?

Thanks again.

While I wish we had more time in Cologne, I don’t regret for a minute our decision to take the tour of the palaces. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the architecture is spectacular. The tour was excellent.

You can never see everything, but I figured I might be back in Cologne some day, but I might not have an opportunity to tour the palaces again.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Thanks for the info--the photos you linked to are amazing--we are definitely leaning in that direction.

Not fans of big cities, would rather see a palatial estate for sure!

Apparently this board is not iPad friendly. My previous post appears to not handle backspaces correctly and included some sort of unicode instead. :classic_angry:

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

how far outside the city is this palace?  

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

how far outside the city is this palace?  

Using google maps, it seems less than 30 minutes from city center.

Posted (edited)

...Just returned from the Viking Rhine Getaway and we took all three excursions in Cologne (Waking Tour, Bruhl and Pubs).  Our guide on the walking tour was very intelligent and superb- an assistant college professor (he asked everyone in our group of 20 what state we lived in, then he named our state capitols LOL).  Our Bruhl palaces tour was fine, just fine.  We had a young college student as our guide... she tried to be a good guide, but was not great at all.  We all had to purchase postcards of the palace's interiors as absolutely no photos are allowed inside.  The buildings were beautiful, though.  Our Pub Tour was nice, but we felt a bit rushed as we scurried from pub to pub on a very busy Saturday night.  Our guide was good, yet he had to be a "mother hen" to about 20 people in noisy and crowded bars.  The food offered was fair.  Of course, all of the above is subjective on our part.  We would definitely take the walking tour again, but not the others.  Cologne is a wonderful place to walk- there is an excelllent zoo nearby as well.

RX101039.JPG

Edited by Mike R 2018

Posted (edited)

Very nice, but not worth a second visit in our opinion...  Yes, we bought half-a-dozen postcards of the beautiful interiors of the palace and hunting lodge. No photos were allowed.  30-minute drive from and to the Viking boat docked in Cologne.RX101045.JPG

Edited by Mike R 2018
typo