Cruise Critic Community
Kiwi Kruzer

Viking Orion in Tauranga 26 Jan

The luxurious Viking Orion is at Tauranga today. 

Does anyone  know if many locals are on board as passengers or would she mainly be European passengers ?

Found this bit of trivia about her on Wiki ...

Viking Cruise Line debuted their newest ocean ship, Viking Orion, in Livorno, Italy in June 2018. It holds 930 passengers, and the ship's godmother is former NASA astronaut Anna Fisher. The ship's name is partially inspired by the Orion space exploration vehicle and the ship has its own onboard planetarium

25 orion.jpg

I think it’s a mix of Aussies and Americans according to a FB group. Going on the Orion in May when Viking travels to Alaska for the first time 

One of my goals in life is to jump on a Viking ocean ship. We have done a couple of river cruises with them, and they do things pretty well in that regard, so I would love to see how they do things in an ocean environment. 

I don't think I would be disappointed! 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:33 PM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

The luxurious Viking Orion is at Tauranga today. 

Does anyone  know if many locals are on board as passengers or would she mainly be European passengers ?

Found this bit of trivia about her on Wiki ...

Viking Cruise Line debuted their newest ocean ship, Viking Orion, in Livorno, Italy in June 2018. It holds 930 passengers, and the ship's godmother is former NASA astronaut Anna Fisher. The ship's name is partially inspired by the Orion space exploration vehicle and the ship has its own onboard planetarium

25 orion.jpg

I'm a bit late coming to the party .. I just found this Forum / this Post (I usually lurk in the Viking Ocean Forum).

We were on-board Orion for the return journey Auckland - Sydney which departed Auckland on 30 December.

Of the 900 or so passengers for our cruise there were 35 Australians, a similar number of Kiwis, about 150 from UK / Europe and the remainder (the great majority) from the US.

That was our second cruise with Viking. We did Bergen - Stockholm via St Petersburg in July 2017 - which was fantastic - and we are going Bergen - Reykjavic in May this year and Venice - Athens in June.

We are new to cruising but love what we have experienced with Viking so far and would not consider any other cruise line.

Cheers, LM