Cruise Critic Community
HBCcruiser

MedallionNet VS Unlimited Internet Question

2 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Why is the unlimited MedallionNet much cheaper ($59.99) than the old unlimited minutes ($199.00)? 

That is a promo pre cruise price.

Marketing the new system.   

Marketing the new system.   

Lucky us then if it works like it’s supposed to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, HBCcruiser said:

Lucky us then if it works like it’s supposed to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So far it has been awesome and lightning fast. At least on the Regal and the CB.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:21 PM, KimCHouston said:

I’ll give up my free minutes to have unlimited Wi-Fi while I’m onboard.

I'll give up the free Platinum minutes to have unlimited wi-fi.  We don't do a lot of net surfing, but plan to rely on wi-fi calling to keep in touch with family back home, and to have that ability 24/7, the Medallion Net seems a small price to pay for peace of mind.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:32 PM, Ep010835 said:

There will be an onboard "Internet Manager" who will help you work through the decisions.

Is this who an Elite or Platinum member would see to exchange free minutes to MedallionNet?  If the decision has to be done on Day One, that's gonna be a loooong line, which sure would cut into the fun and games the first day.  I wonder if you can make that choice from your laptop instead of seeing a person.  Better yet, make that possible via the Cruise Personalizer before the cruise; it's a time management issue both for the cruiser and the I.T. people.

47 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

I If the decision has to be done on Day One, that's gonna be a loooong line, which sure would cut into the fun and games the first day. 

I totally agree, one's time is valuable as well.

With that in mind, here's what I did for my 14 day Circle Carib in early 2021. 

Several reports here indicate that (currently) on Day One,  I could trade in my elite minutes and get the full voyage unlimited package for $90. Hard to predict a price increase (decrease? not likely) this far out.

So, instead, I pre purchased the full voyage unlimited on my Personalizer for $99.99. 

- it's paid for (must be paid in advance, cannot use OBC like you can for shore excursions) 

- Day One is open to do as I please, rather than bother the IT folks. 

- $7.14 / day is a price I can easily live with. 

- best case - the price goes up and I can be even happier

- worst case - the price goes down, or $90 remains the price, and I go to IT on Day 2 and demand $9.99 or more back in OBC. 

Just kidding - I'm  not that person.

If I need to fuss over $10, I should not be cruising. 

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Absolutely!!  🙂

2 hours ago, ecs66 said:

Is this who an Elite or Platinum member would see to exchange free minutes to MedallionNet?  If the decision has to be done on Day One, that's gonna be a loooong line, which sure would cut into the fun and games the first day.  I wonder if you can make that choice from your laptop instead of seeing a person.  Better yet, make that possible via the Cruise Personalizer before the cruise; it's a time management issue both for the cruiser and the I.T. people.

You do not have to stand in a line, once you sign on to  Medallion Net you will be presented with the options you have for connectivity. It is a rather easy seamless process whether you opt to pay for unlimited or decide to stay with your Platinum/Elite minute allotment.

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

You do not have to stand in a line, once you sign on to  Medallion Net you will be presented with the options you have for connectivity.

Thanks for the info!  I was thinking that would make more sense for them instead of trying to personally serve a couple thousand people!

Speed on the Royal today royally sucks. 0.18 meg d/l and 0.5 meg upload. I think I’ll be having a word with the Internet manager when I’m done lounging at Sanctuary.

On 1/27/2019 at 11:59 AM, Ep010835 said:

I forgot to mention. Definitely buy it pre-cruise. You’ll save some money that way. 

Not necessarily.  Only buy it pre-cruise if you are not Platinum or Elite.  The on-board price (DAY 1) is cheaper for Platinum/Elite members.  That said do not expect any great savings until into longer than typical cruises.  At 14-nights you save $10 and then > $10 for longer cruises.

<deleted second part due to it being an old post>

Edited by steelers36

On 1/27/2019 at 5:11 PM, Mary Ann 2 said:

If you are Elite and get free minutes, didn't I hear that you can get a discount on the MedallionNet?  I don't see that option in Cruise Personalizer.  Does it have to be done onboard?  Do you need to give up the free minutes to get a discount?  There seems to be a lack of information and sometimes conflicting information in places (like Facebook)

There is no discount provided in the Cruise Personalizer (☹️).  You only get the discount off the (higher) on-board price (Day 1).

On 11/27/2019 at 10:03 AM, ecs66 said:

You do not need to see anyone any longer.  Connect to ship's wifi and enter cabin and birthdate.  You will be presented with the internet options.  If you have Platinum/Elite status, you will be shown the regular and discounted package price for single device and 4-device plans (A).  You will also have the option to select (B) for the old free minutes benefit.  You pick one or the other and your room account is auto-billed accordingly.  If you elect free minutes and need more internet later in the cruise, you pay by the day and you pay $15 instead of $20.

On 11/27/2019 at 11:05 AM, EatonDoolittle said:

I totally agree, one's time is valuable as well.

With that in mind, here's what I did for my 14 day Circle Carib in early 2021. 

Several reports here indicate that (currently) on Day One,  I could trade in my elite minutes and get the full voyage unlimited package for $90. Hard to predict a price increase (decrease? not likely) this far out.

So, instead, I pre purchased the full voyage unlimited on my Personalizer for $99.99. 

- it's paid for (must be paid in advance, cannot use OBC like you can for shore excursions) 

- Day One is open to do as I please, rather than bother the IT folks. 

- $7.14 / day is a price I can easily live with. 

- best case - the price goes up and I can be even happier

- worst case - the price goes down, or $90 remains the price, and I go to IT on Day 2 and demand $9.99 or more back in OBC. 

Just kidding - I'm  not that person.

Understand your rationale, but as I just posted, there is no need to stand in line nor visit the Internet Cafe to select the package.  We just completed 10-nights on the Crown recently and I believe it is the first cruise that I did not set foot in the Internet Cafe at all and it was lovely not to have to do so.

4 hours ago, steelers36 said:

Not necessarily.  Only buy it pre-cruise if you are not Platinum or Elite.  The on-board price (DAY 1) is cheaper for Platinum/Elite members.  That said do not expect any great savings until into longer than typical cruises.  At 14-nights you save $10 and then > $10 for longer cruises.

<deleted second part due to it being an old post>

Yes, that’s been our experience the last two years (discounted prices for P/E onboard). In fact, just received an email yesterday about the 25% off on embarkation day for our Dec 21 sailing.

On 1/26/2019 at 10:15 PM, KimCHouston said:

You can cancel the 680 internet minutes and just keep MedallionNet.  That will give you the fast Wi-Fi for your entire trip and you should be able to stream videos.  The one thing that is not clear is whether you can only use one device at a time, or if you can only use one device.  If you call Princess 10 times, you will get  5 agents telling you one thing and 5 telling you something different.  There should be better answers before your cruise.  

That will never happen on CC! Always a consistent answer.

Does anyone know if the medallion net 4 device package allows more than one user?

27 minutes ago, Cg52 said:

Does anyone know if the medallion net 4 device package allows more than one user?

It can be used by the number of users you provide the login credentials to.  Whether it is you alone, or you and X friends, a maximum of 4 devices can be connected at the same time.  The single device package works the same.  For example a couple could share a single device plan if they can work it out so that only one of them is connected at any one time.

So just to be clear...I sign up for the 4 device package and 4 people can use at the same time using my login? Or do I set up 4 different logins? It gives me the option to purchase for me and my spouse but I don’t think I need to pay twice. We could both use it and 2 children?

Has anyone had an experience with the internet in South America/Antarctica?  We're wondering if its worth buying a package.  Will the internet work everywhere?? Especially our 3 days touring Antarctica.

51 minutes ago, carmenpowers3 said:

I can’t vouch specifically for Antartica,, but I spent 48 days traveling around South America from Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles earlier this year and could not get over how well the internet worked, even rounding Cape Horn.  It was absolutely worth it to me.  

2 hours ago, Cg52 said:

So just to be clear...I sign up for the 4 device package and 4 people can use at the same time using my login? Or do I set up 4 different logins? It gives me the option to purchase for me and my spouse but I don’t think I need to pay twice. We could both use it and 2 children?

You can connect 4 different devices at the same time. The system has no idea who owns a connected device. 😉 All devices will have the same login info which is cabin number and date of birth of the passenger who bought the package.