Hotel rec in San Diego & where to store car during cruise

Playin Pickleball

Would you have a recommendation of where to spend one overnight in San Diego, near Terminal B where the HAL 17-day Circle Hawaii cruise leaves from (leaving Fe. 3)? Also, what do we do with our car for the 17 days? Will the hotel let us store it there? Is there somewhere else you would recommend we keep it (considerations for cost, safety, etc.)

Edited by Playin Pickleball

Agree with the above advice to post on the West Coast departures forum.  

Feb 3 is nearly upon us so a good rate may be hard to find, I'd check hotwire.com and booking.com, maybe priceline but they won't give you rates that include parking. 

Stay123.com is a site that will give you Park and Stay rates.  I believe that the hotels usually do not have secure parking but I'd check Stay123 anyway.   

We have driven to San Diego a couple of times and parked at an airport long-term parking lot, San/Park, for $10/day minus 1 day's fee.  But that was several years ago so things probably have changed.  It had a shuttle and was secure.  They have/had an area set aside for cruise ship passengers.   

Our last stay in San Diego was at a time when rooms were hard to get, we stayed at Boutique Hotel and walked to the port, you could Uber or taxi.  It was good for us, they paid the supershuttle from the airport, had a fresh continental breakfast, bowl of fresh fruit, local pastries, yogurt etc.  King room, smallish room, with frig, water bottles, $110 w/ tx.  Worked great for us, YMMV.   m--

Hi!

We always stay at the Best Western Yacht Harbor Hotel in San Diego.  They have an underground garage and there are great restaurants across the street (Pizza Nova...much MORE than pizza!) at the Yacht Harbor.  We stayed with them last Dec. for our Eurodam 10 day Sea of Cortez cruise.  They allow so many days of parking included, and then there is a reasonable  charge.  They have a shuttle that takes you to the cruise pier (about 3 miles away) and will pick you up, but we always just take a cab after disembarkation.   It is nothing fancy, but suits our precruise/car park needs.   The hotel has an included breakfast..again, basic but good. Call them direct.

The staff are helpful...I always call them and book the room before I book the cruise!  We left our car with them for 30 days for our Incan Empires cruise several years ago.   They do a brisk business  with cruise ship passengers. I definitely recommend  them!

Karen

Was going to recommend Best Western Yacht Harbor and then I saw Karen beat me to it.  It is always our place to stay.  Cannot beat the location, price and convenience of their parking garage.  Like Karen, we use their shuttle to the port and then take a taxi back to the hotel.  We have used them for long and medium length cruises and have been consistently pleased.  They do provide a breakfast but we usually go elsewhere as the breakfast room is small and cramped. That is the only negative thing I can say about the place.

Hi Again,

I should say, welcome to Cruise Critic...lots of helpful information here!  Under the main listings, there is a West Coast Departures tab, but my recommendation will probably be quicker and more helpful.  The Holiday Inn is next door but more expensive.

If you are on the Eurodam have a great cruise, we enjoyed being on her again!

Karen

Free parking is available at many light rail and commuter train stations.  You'll wind up less that 3 blocks from the pier.

The closest would be Old Town Transit center....but depending on where you are coming from there are many others.

Why pay for parking if you don't have to.

Look at www.gonctd  and https://sdmts.com/

David

We are booked at the Wyndham Bayside for our April cruise which is literally right across the street from the cruise terminal. They do have a parking garage there so you might want to check the rates. I think you get a discount for parking when you reserve ahead of time.

You can't leave your car overnight at the MTS (trolley) parking lots.  You might get away with a night or two but 17 seems a lot to ask.

Any hotel downtown is within 10 or 15 blocks of the pier and an easy 5-10 minute walk or $5 taxi/Uber ride. Most of the hotels mentioned here are waterfront and very nice,. but many others would serve just as well.  None are particularly far.

12 hours ago, Snowesha said:

We are booked at the Wyndham Bayside for our April cruise which is literally right across the street from the cruise terminal. They do have a parking garage there so you might want to check the rates. I think you get a discount for parking when you reserve ahead of time.

We're local, so don't need a hotel room when cruising out of San Diego. But when we drive to the port, we usually park at the Wyndham San Diego Bayside Hotel.

It's very convenient, reasonably priced ($11/day last December) and secure. We reserve online, and parking space there fills up fast, so recommend reserving early.

We also recommend the Wyndam Bayside Garage for parking. It's right across the street from the terminal. Definitely recommend making a reservation online ahead of time, the earlier the better. They will charge your credit card at that time but the fee is fully refundable and you do get a discount for booking on line.  Depending on how much luggage you have it's pretty easy to walk it across the street to the terminal or you can stop by the entrance to the port and walk it over to the porters prior to parking the car. We have parked our car there several times even up to a 30 day cruise and never had a problem.