Jump to content

Bikes on Princess


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, WYB! said:

Here's the thing, I don't believe cruise lines ban bicycles primarily becuase they may pose a hazard or for safety reasons.

I think cruise lines ban bicycles because they don't generate additional revenue for the cruise line.

 

My impression is that cruise lines think that people who bring bicycles take away revenue from the cruise line as they are less likely to book shore excursions (which in some cases they do).

 

Some cruise lines that ban bicycles also offer bicycles for rent from the ship, so people who bringing their own bicycles are in direct conflict with a revenue stream.

 

The situation is similar to why some cruise line ban bringing beverages on board. Yes it's for safety, but it's also for profit.

 

The thing is, I don't know even know how to start having Princess reconsider this policy.

 

I don't ride a bike but my brother-in-law is an avid cyclist and he goes on many bike tours.  He always ships his bike as opposed to renting.  He has even bought and left a bike at our home so he can use it when he visits.  We asked him why and he said that in general rental bikes are not really good and his bikes are customized to his body.  Rental bikes are not.  In other words, rental bikes are not as much fun to ride as his are.

 

DON

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally (in 2018) I purchased a 20" wheel folding bike from craig's list for $100. I have since purchased 3 more off of Craig's list for $100 each (Identical bikes just different colors). Normally they retail new for around $300, but since I got them off of Craig's list I'm less inclined to worry about them if they are damaged or stolen when I use them in port. I have 1 at my apartment in NYC, 2 at my parents home and 1 in Europe at my relatives house (I brought it over from NY on a cruise). I do agree rental bikes in general are not that great, and the bikes I purchased off of Craig's list were in used but very good/limited use condition.

 

Just FYI, I know a place in Santa Marta, Colombia that replaced my tires, tube and brakes for $6 USD.

 

When I ride in port I also always bring: a repair kit, an extra tube, helmet and ride with a GoPro.


Previously, before I brought a bike, I use to rent a bikes locally when the ship reached port, (not from the ship but from a local bike vendor). That's when I decided it would be even cheaper/better to bring my own bike.

Edited by WYB!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see this thread resurrected. I had given up on bringing my bike on Princess, but who knows after this all shakes out Princess may be more amenable to allowing bikes.

 

I initially wanted to bring my touring bike, but I now that I have done the research, I may well purchase a folding bike. I really cannot see why Princess would object to this. The bike would never be used on the ship, and it would be the equivalent of carrying a suitcase on and off the ship.

 

Thanks for everyone's support.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WYB! said:

Here's the thing, I don't believe cruise lines ban bicycles primarily becuase they may pose a hazard or for safety reasons.

I think cruise lines ban bicycles because they don't generate additional revenue for the cruise line.

 

My impression is that cruise lines think that people who bring bicycles take away revenue from the cruise line as they are less likely to book shore excursions (which in some cases they do).

 

 

 

We rarely book excursions anyway, regardless of the bicycle policy. When possible, we will rent bikes from providers in port, or simply walk or use local transit. So barring us from taking along our own bicycles is unlikely to help the company's bottom line....

Edited by daisy-mae
grammar
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
37 minutes ago, darknightsdespiser said:

It could be the thin end of the wedge though, allow bikes and we would only be a few years away from idiots wanting to bring their bloody dogs on!

There's a big difference between a bike & allowing dogs on board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darknightsdespiser said:

It could be the thin end of the wedge though, allow bikes and we would only be a few years away from idiots wanting to bring their bloody dogs on!

Our Border Collie is much better behaved than many cruisers! 😉

 

He doesn't want to bring a bike on board though...

Edited by beg3yrs
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I'd bring a bone for your doggie.  And after seeing some chairs hogs and passengers in the buffet line, I'm sure your Collie is better behaved.

 

And one could use the dog to reserve a desk chair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, darknightsdespiser said:

It could be the thin end of the wedge though, allow bikes and we would only be a few years away from idiots wanting to bring their bloody dogs on!

QM2 allows non-service dogs. Just saying in case anyone wants to bring their entire family '👪 🐕‍🦺

 

And I really cannot understand the analogy between dogs and bikes. One poops / one doesn't 

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2020 at 3:05 PM, WYB! said:

Originally (in 2018) I purchased a 20" wheel folding bike from craig's list for $100. I have since purchased 3 more off of Craig's list for $100 each (Identical bikes just different colors). Normally they retail new for around $300, but since I got them off of Craig's list I'm less inclined to worry about them if they are damaged or stolen when I use them in port.

so basically you're bringing on a suitcase?? As cruise lines will need to entice younger passengers (less susceptible to viruses) they should be moving in this direction.  Great suggestion for PCL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually it was only the very first voyage that I checked the bike in as baggage on embarkation and disembarkation. However upon disembarkation, when I got my bike back I noticed that the rear wheel was out of alignment and needed to be corrected. I imagine it got treated as baggage and a few or several things got placed on top of it.

 

Since then I've just walked the bike on and off during embarkation and disembarkation and when ever in port.

 

When not in use the bike can be placed under the desk or under the bed.

 

Lastly, currently dogs (serving as service animals) are not prohibited and are permitted to be brought on board. The Queen Mary 2 has an entire section of the ship dedicated to the transportation of pets for non-service animals.

 

Safe travels,

 

- WYB

Edited by WYB!
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, WYB! said:

Actually it was only the very first voyage that I checked the bike in as baggage on embarkation and disembarkation. However upon disembarkation, when I got my bike back I noticed that the rear wheel was out of alignment and needed to be corrected. I imagine it got treated as baggage and a few or several things got placed on top of it.

 

Since then I've just walked the bike on and off during embarkation and disembarkation and when ever in port.

 

When not in use the bike can be placed under the desk or under the bed.

 

Lastly, currently dogs (serving as service animals) are not prohibited and are permitted to be brought on board. The Queen Mary 2 has an entire section of the ship dedicated to the transportation of pets for non-service animals.

 

Safe travels,

 

- WYB

We're planning a family trip & my son wants to take one of his bikes. So I'm hoping QM2 will let him. We will rent for the little kids (7,6,4) and they'll ride with me (I'm slower)

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites

I myself currently have: 4 folding bikes, 1 gravel bike, 2 road bikes, 2 hybrid bikes & 1 mountain bike.

 

Don't forget: helmet, air pump, spare tubes, patch kit, water bottle, simple first aid kit.

 

For Cunard

FAQ: Bicycle (Sub-Catagory: Life on board)

 

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/frequently-asked-question

 

Only folding bicycles or bicycles that can be disassembled are permitted on board (for shore use only) and must be stored in your stateroom ensuring that it does not hinder the opening arc of the door so that access can be gained in an emergency situation. Please be advised that you will be responsible for transporting your bicycle on and off the ship. 

Please also note that we cannot allocate wheelchair accessible accommodation to guests bringing bicycles on board. 

If you have a flight booked, please check with your air carrier as some may not accept bicycles on board the aircraft. There is no facility to hire bicycles on board our ships however there may be shore excursions involving cycling depending on the itinerary.

Please note, the above policy also applies to Tandem and Medical Tandem bicycles.

Edited by WYB!
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given current stated restrictions on excursions - only in cruise line approved groups, fully chaperoned, no wandering off - bicycles are probably a non-starter for the foreseeable future. Even for lines that do allow under normal circumstances.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, WYB! said:

I myself currently have: 4 folding bikes, 1 gravel bike, 2 road bikes, 2 hybrid bikes & 1 mountain bike.

 

Don't forget: helmet, air pump, spare tubes, patch kit, water bottle, simple first aid kit.

 

For Cunard

FAQ: Bicycle (Sub-Catagory: Life on board)

 

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/frequently-asked-question

 

Only folding bicycles or bicycles that can be disassembled are permitted on board (for shore use only) and must be stored in your stateroom ensuring that it does not hinder the opening arc of the door so that access can be gained in an emergency situation. Please be advised that you will be responsible for transporting your bicycle on and off the ship. 

Please also note that we cannot allocate wheelchair accessible accommodation to guests bringing bicycles on board. 

If you have a flight booked, please check with your air carrier as some may not accept bicycles on board the aircraft. There is no facility to hire bicycles on board our ships however there may be shore excursions involving cycling depending on the itinerary.

Please note, the above policy also applies to Tandem and Medical Tandem bicycles.

He only has 2 off road, 2 street bikes .... will need a folding bike but that's on him. I just don't want to leave Koda with someone outside the family. I've never had to do that so your info is much appreciated. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya know, cycling/biking in port is the most solitary activity I've ever done.

 

There are no line ups to get off the ship. There is no bus, van or car involved. You spend the majority time off the ship by yourself.

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.58.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 6.58.07 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.04.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.06.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.05.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.05.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.07.26 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 7.08.03 PM.png

Edited by WYB!
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ombud said:

QM2 allows non-service dogs. Just saying in case anyone wants to bring their entire family '👪 🐕‍🦺

 

And I really cannot understand the analogy between dogs and bikes. One poops / one doesn't 

darknightdespiser started it! Said that if Princess allowed bikes then people would next want their dogs. -- I paraphrased as the language was a bit stronger in the original post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I think bikes should be allowed and, as a shareholder, I hope they consider it. At least folding bikes. Younger or more fit passengers would be less susceptible to viruses so whatever they can do it encourage them to book with PCL instead of another line. 

 

Yes people won't like my post but I don't think the industry can stand another long shut down 

Edited by Ombud
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 5:04 PM, WYB! said:

I myself currently have: 4 folding bikes, 1 gravel bike, 2 road bikes, 2 hybrid bikes & 1 mountain bike.

 

 

With 10 bikes you would need a full suite or if you travel more basic, adjoining cabins with an intercommunicating door.  Seriously though Princess currently offer a cycling tour at Guernsey over on Sark.  The great thing about this island is that motor vehicles are not allowed not even ambulances so it's pretty safe.  There is an exception for agricultural tractors.

 

Regards John

Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that on Cunard when it comes to non-service pets they must remain in the kennel on board and while a passenger may visit their pet, it is during certain hours and the pet may not leave the kennel area.

Edited by nocl
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...