Cruise Critic Community
etravel

Interesting Budapest tours with Avalon?

Hello...We will be on an Avalon River Cruise, this summer..It ends in Budapest so we will enjoy a day there with Avalon and a day on our own with their 1 night extension...On our own we plan to do one of the thermal baths and maybe go to the Parliament...Has anyone taken any interesting or active tours with Avalon..We don't get to choose our excursions for a bit so I was just wondering...And I did see in one of the reviews that someone had done a country side wine tasting and that looked fun..So any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

We are going in April. It happens to be Easter when we arrive so I am not sure if the tours will be different.  The 3 optional excursions they are offering us are an Art and Architecture tour, Wine and lunch in Eytek and visiting a horse ranch Pustza.  They are only offering one included guided sightseeing tour. 

We will be there 3 days/2 nights at the start of our trip and it is Easter Sunday and Monday so we are not looking to book too much as I read there is a festival that coincides with Easter and they have markets similar to Christmas markets. But we did sign up for the wine tasting tour.

I too am interested in hearing from people who have done both included and optional excursions with Avalon.  This is our first time on a river cruise.  I think I expected a lot more activity than what they have offered in the included tours and I think so far have added about $750 in optional excursions.  They do a good job on the details when they show you the optional tours.  Be sure to also look at what the travel time is.  One we are doing has 4 hrs of travel.  

The wine tour sounds interesting! We may do that one if it's offered as well! Thanks for your comments...

On 1/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, etravel said:

Hello...We will be on an Avalon River Cruise, this summer..It ends in Budapest so we will enjoy a day there with Avalon and a day on our own with their 1 night extension...On our own we plan to do one of the thermal baths and maybe go to the Parliament...Has anyone taken any interesting or active tours with Avalon..We don't get to choose our excursions for a bit so I was just wondering...And I did see in one of the reviews that someone had done a country side wine tasting and that looked fun..So any thoughts? Thanks in advance...

We are on the Envision Prague to Budapest May 26. Are you on this ship? Excursions were released today, but seems to be a small selection. If you are on this cruise, let me know if you want to join forces for some private tours. 

We are 3 in our late 60s, one in late 70s. 

No...sorry but wish we were..we aren't sailing until later June...have fun on yours though! 

If you plan to visit the Parliament, make sure that you pre book and purchase your tickets well in advance online. They only offer a limited number of tours in English per day.  Its a fantastic tour and well worth it in my opinion.