For the Record - RCCL does refund Gratuities

invision

10 minutes ago, proggieus said:

this is exactly my point-

to me there are only two reasons that somebody would remove the auto gratuities-

1. they cant afford them or are just plain cheap.

2. Their fragile ego needs to feel like a big shot while handing cash to somebody.

I leave the tips on the folio, i also will tip bartenders cash at the bars that i frequent, not every drink, maybe not even every day. but its probably about $20-$25 per bartender. I also leave a nice tip for the room steward in an envelope at disembarkation

Or that's just the way he feels works for him.  You calling his ego out why?  Does it make your ego feel better?  He did bring up a good point though.  Do you tip the laundry and dishwashers in a 5 star hotel?  If RCCL doesn't pay these people enough they always can get a different job.

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor

Just now, invision said:

I will say this again.  I never have tipped any all the workers in the kitchen or laundry service in the nice restraunts or the 5 star hotels we stay in.  I give a generous tip to the waiter and the room attendant and if they pass some down that is fine.  That is just the way I give gratuities.  Subsidizing wages of workers not being paid enough by RCCL is not what a gratuity is about.

M

If you know thats how RCCL works you can either not cruise RCCL or play along and use the auto gratuities, you cant use their services and then cancel part of their pay and think you are morally in the right, because you are not.

if you cant afford it, dont cruise. if you can afford it but dont want to pay because you think its proving a point, you are a *****.

which is it?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, proggieus said:

to me there are only two reasons that somebody would remove the auto gratuities-

2. Their fragile ego needs to feel like a big shot while handing cash to somebody.

I leave the tips on the folio, i also will tip bartenders cash at the bars that i frequent, not every drink, maybe not even every day. but its probably about $20-$25 per bartender. I also leave a nice tip for the room steward in an envelope at disembarkation

14 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

I actually do and always keep my tips on my account and like I said, we tip extra as well.  

Since we have so many that tip over and above, they don't need my tips.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, proggieus said:

If you know thats how RCCL works you can either not cruise RCCL or play along and use the auto gratuities, you cant use their services and then cancel part of their pay and think you are morally in the right, because you are not.

if you cant afford it, dont cruise. if you can afford it but dont want to pay because you think its proving a point, you are a *****.

which is it?

LOL and the morale high ground war begins.  So you are saying that tips are part of their salaries?  If so then why not charge more for the cruise and eliminate tipping altogether?  If the fact exists that you CAN remove tipping (which we all know it does) then tips are clearly NOT part of their salary.

The guy tipped the people he used, get over yourself.

• Like 4

BTW - My wife and I handed out more that $200 more in tips than the pre-paids.  Even if they don't get to keep the direct tip, which I was told they did, they have more to split.  

My point of this thread was not to argue anymore about opinions on leaving gratuities, but to let folks know how I finally figured out where my refund gratuities went, and save someone some time not by re-inventing the wheel...

M

Edited by invision
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

LOL and the morale high ground war begins.  So you are saying that tips are part of their salaries?  If so then why not charge more for the cruise and eliminate tipping altogether?  If the fact exists that you CAN remove tipping (which we all know it does) then tips are clearly NOT part of their salary.

The guy tipped the people he used, get over yourself.

It is part of their salary, if you dont like how RCCL has decided to pay their employees then DONT SAIL RCCL.

"The guy tipped the people he used, get over yourself."

actually he didn't, he only tipped the people he saw. he USED the people he didn't tip.

5 minutes ago, invision said:

BTW - My wife and I handed out more that $200 more in tips than the pre-paids.  Even if they don't get to keep the direct tip, which I was told they did, they have more to split.  

My point of this thread was not to argue anymore about opinions on leaving gratuities, but to let folks know how I finally figured out where my refund gratuities went, and save someone some time by re-inventing the wheel...

M

Good to know. I am sure that will mean so much to Maria who left her three kids back home for 6 months to spend 12 hours a day washing your towels for week when she has $5.00 dollars less to send back home for her kids to buy food.

but hey,

at least you got look like a big shot, 

Edited by proggieus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, invision said:

My point of this thread was not to argue anymore about opinions on leaving gratuities, but to let folks know how I finally figured out where my refund gratuities went, and save someone some time not by re-inventing the wheel...

M

And your point is well taken, by those without a self righteous, holier-than-thou, ego boosting attitude.

33 minutes ago, proggieus said:

do you use the towels and sheets?

how about dishes, glasses and silverware?

do you enjoy having (relatively) clean glass in the elevators and railings

So if I find any spots on my glassware or silverware at dinner, tips reduced!

So if I find 1 stain on any of my bed linnens, tips reduced!

So if I find any fingerprints on the railings, or glass in the elevators,  tips reduced!

So if I see 1 pair of shorts in the MDR, tips reduced!

28 minutes ago, proggieus said:

It is part of their salary, if you dont like how RCCL has decided to pay their employees then DONT SAIL RCCL.

actually he didn't, he only tipped the people he saw. he USED the people he didn't tip.

Okay Comrade.  Any other requests while you're mandating what others do? 

Again if you can remove tips then they are NOT part of their salary, and I'll sail whatever cruise line I like, okay.  You just keep tipping extra and telling us how great you are!

Edited by PopeyeDaSailor
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, proggieus said:

which is it?

Why do you feel the need to call the OP a vulgar name? Try making your point without making it personal.

4 minutes ago, PopeyeDaSailor said:

Okay Comrade.  Any other requests while you're mandating what others do?

Do what you want, i'll just judge you for it.

If you want to go through life screwing people you have to live with it not me.

36 minutes ago, proggieus said:

It's not part of their salary if it's removable. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, proggieus said:

Interesting.  You talk about people whose "fragile ego needs to feel like a big shot while handing cash to somebody."  Then you tell us "i also will tip bartenders cash at the bars that i frequent, not every drink, maybe not even every day. but its probably about $20-$25 per bartender. I also leave a nice tip for the room steward in an envelope at disembarkation."  Hmmm.

• Thanks 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

Interesting.  You talk about people whose "fragile ego needs to feel like a big shot while handing cash to somebody."  Then you tell us "i also will tip bartenders cash at the bars that i frequent, not every drink, maybe not even every day. but its probably about $20-$25 per bartender. I also leave a nice tip for the room steward in an envelope at disembarkation."  Hmmm.

I am not taking money out of the dishwashers pocket to hand to the bartender,

thats the difference

I have a question out of curiosity after reading these comments. Let me preface it by saying that we DO prepay tips and tip extra to bartenders and room stewards so...I read someone say if you give cash they have to turn it in and it goes into a pool. Is this true if the cash is over and above the prepaid tips? And if so how is it split up once it goes into the pool? I always assumed (and I know what assuming gets you🤦🏼‍♀️) that the extra cash we have stayed with that person if we prepaid the regular tips. 

Edited by MandyMooToo

1 minute ago, MandyMooToo said:

I have a question out of curiosity after reading these comments. Let me preface it by saying that we DO prepay tips and tips extra to bartenders and room steward so...I read someone say if you give cash they have to turn it in and it goes into a pool. Is this true if the cash over and above the prepaid tips? And if so how is it split up once it goes into the pool? I always assumed (and I know what assuming gets you🤦🏼‍♀️) that the extra cash we have stayed with that person if we prepaid the regular tips. 

There seems to be conflicting stories as to whether they keep it or have to share it.  Both sides swear that they are correct. :classic_dry:

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1