Cruise Critic Community
SeaTheW0rld

Voldendam vs Niew Amsterdam for Panama Canal

As the title says, what's your opinion?

Same week, basically the same price. V is eastbound. NA is westbound. 

I did a partial on Zaandam years ago. I remember the air conditioning struggled. Still loved the ship. Maasdam is my all time fav. 

Edited by SeaTheW0rld
Typo

As you like the R and S class ships, go with Volendam. We like the bigger ships, so we would go with N. Amsterdam.

If you enjoyed the Maasdam then you should be happy on the Volendam.

N Amsterdam has more bells and whistles but it's also larger, more people and IMO cabins are smaller.

I have to agree - given the choice of Volendam vs Nieuw Amsterdam I would probably take the latter.  The expanded entertainment and dining options of the Nieuw Amsterdam are attractive on  a longer voyage.  I would feel that the Panama Canal transit experience would be very similar on both vessels.

much less crowding on open decks on the Volendam vs NA.  If you're planning to be outside a lot during the canal portion, the Volendam would be a better choice.  Even though there are fewer verandah cabins, there is so much to see in the canal zone that you'll want to walk around and see both sides, fore and aft...and the NA is bigger so that will take more time.

But as mentioned already, there are more entertainment options on the NA.  The cabins on the Volendam are generally bigger when comparing like cabins other than perhaps some of the square inside cabins.  You also may have slightly better service on the volendam as the passenger to crew ratio is just slightly lower on the volendam, meaning fewer passengers per crew member.

I really enjoyed the gallery bar on the eurodam, which it looks like the NA has and the volendam does not.

If you can book an aft-wrap cabin on the NA, I would definitely go for that - great way to view the canal!  

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

If you can book an aft-wrap cabin on the NA, I would definitely go for that - great way to view the canal!  

I had an aft wrap around a on Costa ship. A proper 2 room suite with a dressing room and jacuzzi. Divine. There was a pricing error and I got it for the price of an inside. 

I doubt I will ever have one again 😫

I would do the Volendam as I prefer the smaller ships and it would be easier to go from one end of the ship to the other to see all the varying views of the Canal transit.  However, the Tamarind Restaurant on the Niew Amsterdam is a definite plus.

37 minutes ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

I believe the Volendam uses the old locks while the Niew Amsterdam uses the new locks. You may want to take that into consideration when deciding.

Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam and all 4 Vista class vessels meet the old Panamax restrictions. The only reason they would use the new locks would be traffic congestion at the old locks preventing their usage for the transit. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

1 hour ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

I believe the Volendam uses the old locks while the Niew Amsterdam uses the new locks. You may want to take that into consideration when deciding.

Not true. Only Koningsdam and N. Statendam would be required to use the new locks. We went through the old locks on Eurodam (essentially the same size as N. Amsterdam) in November 2017.

57 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Not true. Only Koningsdam and N. Statendam would be required to use the new locks. We went through the old locks on Eurodam (essentially the same size as N. Amsterdam) in November 2017.

I seem to remember there being discussion regarding Konidsdam's inability to transit the canal (either old or new locks) due to the positioning of her lifeboats and potential damage to them if she hit the side of a lock in transit. I believe this is why she is making the 8,000 mile trek around South America to reposition to the West Coast (where she looks poised to stay for sometime) rather than transit the canal. 

2 hours ago, NotLikeBelleRosen,IHope said:

Nieuw Amsterdam will use the old locks.  She fits in there and it less expensive than the new locks.  The Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam would have to use the new locks.

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I seem to remember there being discussion regarding Konidsdam's inability to transit the canal (either old or new locks) due to the positioning of her lifeboats and potential damage to them if she hit the side of a lock in transit. I believe this is why she is making the 8,000 mile trek around South America to reposition to the West Coast (where she looks poised to stay for sometime) rather than transit the canal. 

Isnt the life boat position on most new ships related to SOLAS requirements after the concordia issue?  Basically lifeboats are now set on the deck on newbuilds in the event the ship is listing in an emergency and life boats on davits have swung plumb which may not be in-line with the boarding area.

Eitherway, the width of the Kdam is 114 and the new locks are 161ft wide, so unless she was going side by side with another ship, i think the K dam could transit the canal.  Perhaps there's a different issue?

There was a discussion on this a while back and I seem to remember there is a specific reason why K-dam could not transit the Panama Canal to re-position to the west coast.  I thought it was due to lifeboat placement as they protrude out wider than the widest part of the hull

43996-1478489673.jpg

Compare that to the Vista/Signature class where the lifeboats are tucked back further and are fully within the hull width.

907761385332513.jpg

If my memory is not wrong I remember it being stated the concern was that IF the lines were to break during transit and the ship were to come into contact with the walls of the lock it could more easily damage the lifeboats, thus impacting the vessels ability to continue the voyage.  Even though the new locks are significantly wider than the vessel there is still a safety issue involved.  I could be TOTALLY wrong on this however.

Very interesting posts about the Kdam. 

I don't think I'm going to be able to do either without a big hassle. My passport expires at the end of July. That puts me outside of the +6 month window. I suppose I could make an emergency trip to a renewal center, but if the govt shuts down again, I would be out of luck. 

I can do the Hawaii Grand circle, since it is a closed loop (passport not required). 

You can do expedited renewal by by mail with a turn around time of 4 weeks or less, usually it comes back even faster, like 7-10 days. 

We did the Volendam last fall thru the canal and enjoyed the forward open decks very much.  The Nieuw Amsterdam lacks those.

37 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

We did the Volendam last fall thru the canal and enjoyed the forward open decks very much.  The Nieuw Amsterdam lacks those.

There are several forward facing viewing areas on Decks 4, 5, 6 and 7 on Nieuw Amsterdam & Eurodam.  The one on Deck 5 is elevated above the bow, though you cannot not go all the way to the most forward point like you can on the S/R and Vista Class ships.  That said, in the end there may actually be MORE forward facing viewing areas on the Vistas/Signature class ships than on the S & R class ships.

Eurodam/Nieuw Amsterdam

image.png.e55fee48155b9531d4c9cbbb0f102a38.png

Vista Class

image.png.604fcea1e14ebcd10a21b920b2feb534.png

S & R Class

image.png.f0e145afc580f9382743f8cab89add5d.png

image.png.44c36bcaa800e9a4361238c6b9bbcfb7.png

8 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

No, it doesn't. We went through on the Eurodam. There is lots of forward facing areas.

Wow, I guess I'm wrong, but on the Eurodam last year I asked an officer if there was access to the forward facing decks and was told "NO" except for when we open the bow.  I do see open areas, but can you get out there if you don't have a room facing it?

On the R class, you can get out side from the gym and that larger area below the bridge.  On the Vista class I think there is also deck space in front of the gym.

Edited by St Pete Cruiser
addition

2 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Wow, I guess I'm wrong, but on the Eurodam last year I asked an officer if there was access to the forward facing decks and was told "NO" except for when we open the bow.  I do see open areas, but can you get out there if you don't have a room facing it?

On the R class, you can get out side from the gym and that larger area below the bridge.  On the Vista class I think there is also deck space in front of the gym.

The bow will be open for the Canal, and thus the other forward decks will also be. They were when we went through.