Port of Progreso and Cozumel questions

gidat1

Hello we are going on Carnivals Fantasy cruise from Mobile, AL. Port of Call are Progresso and Cozumel.

I have done  extensive search on both places here.

My question is 1) Want to do excursion in Progresso. Most of the companies I have found only takes you to 1 or 2 places.. My BIL say to disembark at the port and look for  local excursion companies. They are much more reasonable and will take you to more than 2-3 places. He took them about 10 years back. They do guaranty that they will be back  on time.

2) About Cozumel, we want to rent a car for few hours at Puerta Maya where  The Fantasy will anchor. I can't find any rental company on the net that I can reserve the car from the port. there are several away from the port. Any suggestions?

3) I heard food on the cruise is not great. Any experiences with Steak House, and Asaian food. Captainstable is additional $ 75/person. Is it worth it?

Thanks.

For progreso the company outside of carnival I know of is autoprogreso. They are the company that shuttles everyone to and from the pier. They will offer excursions on the shuttle but here is the website if you wish to book now. I don't see anything with more than two stops though.

https://autoprogreso.squarespace.com/new-products/

Edited by Saint Greg

The bus station where you get dropped off in Progresso has many tour people there. We got a taxi tour tp some ruins and a few other places.

Cozumel has car rentals just outside the port. Can also just get a taxi tour, probably be cheaper.

Never had a problem with the food on any boat, steakhouse not really worth it to me unless I get a freebe.

4 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

The bus station where you get dropped off in Progresso has many tour people there. We got a taxi tour tp some ruins and a few other places.

Cozumel has car rentals just outside the port. Can also just get a taxi tour, probably be cheaper.

Never had a problem with the food on any boat, steakhouse not really worth it to me unless I get a freebe.

Are they dropping off at the Bus Station again? I've been 5 times. The last three they dropped us at a market a few blocks from the bus station and autoprogreso is the only tour place there. But I haven't been in 16 months. I can show OP how to walk from the market to the bus station if needed though.

Edited by Saint Greg

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Are they dropping off at the Bus Station again? I've been 5 times. The last three they dropped us at a market a few blocks from the bus station and autoprogreso is the only tour place there. I haven't been in 16 months though.

Was about 2 years ago that I was there. We got on a bus at the boat and they dropped us off next to the bus station.

There were many tour people standing around with their charts and maps.

Just now, robc1972 said:

Was about 2 years ago that I was there. We got on a bus at the boat and they dropped us off next to the bus station.

There were many tour people standing around with their charts and maps.

Maybe they rotate it but yeah I haven't been dropped off at the bus station since 2015. Went there twice in 2016 and last Sep 2017 and they took us to the market.

Thank you all for replying.

Looking at AutoProgreso web site their tour prices are cheaper than  Carnival. Any difference in quality of tours, except peace of mind about getting back on the ship on time.

The Fantasy doesn't have a Steakhouse, but you can order some items such as lobster tail or better steaks in the dining room for an upcharge (I think $20).  The Steakhouse when available is well worth the money imo. The Chef's Table is an experience that I really enjoyed, once. Don't think I'd pay to do it again, but the food and service were fantastic. The Steakhouse is always on our agenda if available. Enjoy 🙂

On 2/4/2019 at 1:33 PM, gidat1 said:

In Chefs table do they include Alcohol ? Or we have to pay extra. Thanks.

Instead of state-Balcony cabin we have reserved Cabin with Window, so we can splurge a bit. 

You will start our with Champagne.  Then you will be asked what type of Wine you prefer and they will keep you hydrated until the end of the meal!  This is all included with the price of the Meal.

Edited by mabones

• 2 weeks later...

The AutoProgreso shuttle will drop you off at one of TWO places: the bus terminal (their bus terminal) and a market selling junk in a parking lot. At the latter, there are lots of hawkers selling tours. You get what you pay for: some of these are just taxi vans and not in the best condition.

Thank you all for answering.

We returned from Carnival Fantacy safe and sound.

1) We parked our car in their parking lot at the cost of $ 90

2) We  brought with us two bottles of wine in our  hand luggage. Opened them in our room. So no corking fees.

3) We eat at any time dinning Celebrity Restaurant. Staff there was amazing.

4) We got off in Progresso and took free shuttle to Auto Progresso bus station. It looks like they have a almost monopoly there as per taking Excursions. We took one for Mayan  (?)  and town of Merida. Both were great. Cost was $ 45.00 / person.

5) We really enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. But stage productions  especially Country  Road was kind of boring. Cruise director Mardi was on the ball. Tried to attend his events.

6) Bought some duty free Booze on the ship, custom did not bother about it.

7) Cozumel port was like any other  touristy place. We did walk around and took a cab to Downtown for $ 10. It rained all afternoon.  There were 5 ships anchored there.

8) Chef's Table was bit pricy. $ 75 /person plus tips. Lots of food and wine. Chef Roy  explained about the food we were eating.

9)  Buffett was always full, we only eat breakfast there.

35 minutes ago, gidat1 said:

Thank you all for answering.

We returned from Carnival Fantacy safe and sound.

1) We parked our car in their parking lot at the cost of $ 90

2) We  brought with us two bottles of wine in our  hand luggage. Opened them in our room. So no corking fees.

3) We eat at any time dinning Celebrity Restaurant. Staff there was amazing.

4) We got off in Progresso and took free shuttle to Auto Progresso bus station. It looks like they have a almost monopoly there as per taking Excursions. We took one for Mayan  (?)  and town of Merida. Both were great. Cost was $ 45.00 / person.

5) We really enjoyed the entertainment on the ship. But stage productions  especially Country  Road was kind of boring. Cruise director Mardi was on the ball. Tried to attend his events.

6) Bought some duty free Booze on the ship, custom did not bother about it.

7) Cozumel port was like any other  touristy place. We did walk around and took a cab to Downtown for $ 10. It rained all afternoon.  There were 5 ships anchored there.

😎 Chef's Table was bit pricy. $ 75 /person plus tips. Lots of food and wine. Chef Roy  explained about the food we were eating.

9)  Buffett was always full, we only eat breakfast there.

So in progreso they dropped you at the bus station?  Not in the back of the flea market?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes they dropped us at  Bus station. I walked around . Few blocks there was a vegetable market. There were couple of other  tour operators outside bus station, but their price was not much cheaper.