What is Celebrities policy concerning CC points when you have to cancel a cruise?

mom23guys

We recently had to cancel a cruise with the 100% penalty phase do to illness. Since we paid for the whole price of the cruise I feel we should get the points for the cruise.

If anyone else had to do this, what did Celebrity tell you about the points

We had to cancel a cruise 5 days before departure.  No matter how much I tried, they would not honour my points.

According to Celebrity 1) you have insurance so you get your money back, 2) you MUST complete the cruise to get your points.

Points are not awarded on payment or amount of payment.  Points are awarded for completing a number of cruise days.  No cruise, no points.  I, for one, am happy that points are not just given out without having to put in the time and miles.

Our friends ran into the same situation: cancelled due to illness week prior and no points given. From an individual’s point of view, this may sound unfair - you paid so why not get the points. But Celebrity does this because most of us have insurance that may cover this and you actually don’t pay for the cruise because you get reimbursed.

And if you don’t get insurance payback.....they see it as your error, especially since they sell insurance, as do many TA’s who have various recommended insurance options. And since there is no easy way of Celebrity knowing if you get reimbursed for the cancellation, they don’t want to get into that back and forth and just say no. 

There may be a few posts about, “Oh, after being a big pain about it, and calling/texting/emailing lots of people, Celebrity relented”. My personal view is, they probably got a few bucks of next cruise OBC. Celebrity isn’t about to open that pandora’s box. 

Den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Points are not awarded on payment or amount of payment.  Points are awarded for completing a number of cruise days.  No cruise, no points.  I, for one, am happy that points are not just given out without having to put in the time and miles.

You are happy that someone who unfortunately has an emergency and can’t go on a cruise but paid for that cruise in full (essentially a double whammy), will not get points? 

Points are awarded on amount of payment - the bigger the suite, the greater the points.  And solos, who pay double, get double.  

To the original poster - sorry you missed your cruise. Hope all is well now. 

4 hours ago, mom23guys said:

We recently had to cancel a cruise with the 100% penalty phase do to illness. Since we paid for the whole price of the cruise I feel we should get the points for the cruise.

If anyone else had to do this, what did Celebrity tell you about the points

Sorry you missed your cruise, if you didn't buy insurance you may want to check with your credit card company, many provide partial or full insurance, you might get lucky.   

This is not a policy unique to Celebrity – when it happened to us with a Backroads hiking tour, my TA told me it is standard in the cruise industry.  Loyalty points are only awarded at the completion of the actual stay.

10 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is not a policy unique to Celebrity – when it happened to us with a Backroads hiking tour, my TA told me it is standard in the cruise industry.  Loyalty points are only awarded at the completion of the actual stay.

The same policy on Frequent  Flyer miles from my experience.

Edited by jagoffee

The difference is (on most airlines), if you don't fly, you get to use your ticket again, within a year of purchase (minus a $200 fee (although fee sometimes waived for sickness, funeral, etc.) and the fare differential, if any).  So not a total loss.  I would take that deal gladly from the cruise line. 

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

The difference is (on most airlines), if you don't fly, you get to use your ticket again, within a year of purchase (minus a $200 fee (although fee sometimes waived for sickness, funeral, etc.) and the fare differential, if any).  So not a total loss.  I would take that deal gladly from the cruise line. 

However, it is still the same on airlines you must fly to get points, if you buy a ticket and cannot use it no points.  Hotels you must stay to get points, buy a prepaid room that you cannot use, no points.  Same practice for cruise lines points are not given at time of purchase, cruise must be completed.

18 hours ago, JFontaine said:

True, but you must pay for an airline ticket when you booked the flight and you cannot get a fare reduction (most airlines)

The bottom line on most loyalty program, you must use the service to get the points for loyalty levels.

Edited by jagoffee

2 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

True, but you must pay for an airline ticket when you booked the flight and you cannot get a fare reduction (most airlines)

Going off topic here, but it might help someone.  You can get a fare reduction on non-discount carriers if you purchased the ticket directly from them - although the reduction needs to be more than the fee (generally $200), and you can't have a highly restricted "basic fare".  This worked for me on a business class transatlantic flight; I saved about $800.  Also - Delta allows you to cancel your ticket within 24 hours, without any reason (helpful if you find a lower fare).  

• Thanks 1