Forum Maintenance: Wednesday March 20 @5:00 am ET Read more... ×
Cruise Critic Community
The-Inside-Cabin

LA Times article on the Nieuw Statendam

Here is a link to an interesting article about this wonderful new ship that appeared in the LA Times

We were on Nieuw Statendam's maiden voyage. Here's what we discovered

By KARL ZIMMERMANN
JAN 27, 2019 | 3:00 AM
| ABOARD THE NIEUW STATENDAM

https://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-cruise-nieuw-statendam-holland-america-20190127-story.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fnfl+(L.A.+Times+-+Pro+Football)

"inside cabin"  I was wondering where you were.  Thought you would be on the world cruise, but couldn't find you.  

So Mr. Ashford had never been on a cruise when he assumed responsibility for HAL!  That says a lot. I was a surgery manager in 2 different hospitals, imagine if I had never been in an operating room...………..

43 minutes ago, BJzink said:

So Mr. Ashford had never been on a cruise when he assumed responsibility for HAL!  That says a lot. I was a surgery manager in 2 different hospitals, imagine if I had never been in an operating room...………..

We found that a bit strange too.  Some changes that have been made reflect that lack of experience IMHO.  But, maybe they thought that a fresh pair of eyes with no pre-concieved ideas would be helpful.  

Nice article. Makes me want to book a HAL cruise because although I've only been on one HAL cruise, I really did enjoy my cruise on the tiny Maasdam and would like to compare to these bigger ships like the Koningsdam and Nieuw Stantendam.

54 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I'm not sure that's a very relevant comparison. Professional managers with no medical training more often than not are the presidents/CEOs/heads of hospitals and are appointed to look after the health of the hospital, not the health of its patients. That task is left to highly qualified medical experts, such as yourself. Mr. Ashford was appointed to steer the company, not captain a ship.  

Mr Ashford was asked to develop the new HAL website too.  His background was in HR - human resources - personnel management .which already was one of HAL's leading strengths. The rest of the value-added to HAL during Mr Ashford's tenure, not so much or not too obvious so far.

But let's see if we can learn anything from the upcoming CCL Annual Report. Mr Ashford also guided the transformation of the Maasam into the new EXC In Depth program - kudos to Mr Ashford for that welcome move.

4 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Mr Ashford was asked to develop the new HAL website too.  His background was in HR - human resources - personnel management .which already was one of HAL's leading strengths. The rest of the value-added to HAL during Mr Ashford's tenure, not so much or not too obvious so far.

But let's see if we can learn anything from the upcoming CCL Annual Report. Mr Ashford also guided the transformation of the Maasdam into the new EXC In Depth program - kudos to Mr Ashford for that welcome move. Taking out the ship libraries and blaming passengers for stealing books ..... not so good. Oprah franchise to rebrand HAL on many levles - will we ever learn how this impacted the bottom line?

Rimless dinner plates that let your knife and fork drop into the sauce, cute Delft design bread plates that intentionally scream "steal me" --- all of these are decisions that get made somewhere in the bowels of Ashford-led  HAL Inc.

Edited by OlsSalt

"inside cabin"  I was wondering where you were.  Thought you would be on the world cruise, but couldn't find you.  

We will be on 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

We will be on 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear.  Can't wait for your reports.....

1 hour ago, Georgie562 said:

Nice article. Makes me want to book a HAL cruise because although I've only been on one HAL cruise, I really did enjoy my cruise on the tiny Maasdam and would like to compare to these bigger ships like the Koningsdam and Nieuw Stantendam.

"... the  'tiny' Maasdam...." - really???   This sounds a bit patronizing, not to mention wrong.  The S and R classes  are considered mid-sized ships.  

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

I'm not sure that's a very relevant comparison. Professional managers with no medical training more often than not are the presidents/CEOs/heads of hospitals and are appointed to look after the health of the hospital, not the health of its patients. That task is left to highly qualified medical experts, such as yourself. Mr. Ashford was appointed to steer the company, not captain a ship.  

Just now, BJzink said:

That works for the financial health, not the outcome of patients' health.  Wonder who is the director of passenger satisfaction?

22 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

"... the  'tiny' Maasdam...." - really???   This sounds a bit patronizing, not to mention wrong.  The S and R classes  are considered mid-sized ships.  

Seemed tiny to me compare to the cruises I been on since I started cruising in 2009.

your idea of tiny is not the same idea as mines obviously so thanks for pointing that out.

1 minute ago, Georgie562 said:

Seemed tiny to me compare to the cruises I been on since I started cruising in 2009.

your idea of tiny is not the same idea as mines obviously so thanks for pointing that out.

We were on the Maasdam last summer and though it was smaller than most ships we have sailed on, it was definitely not small like the Ocean Princess, 670 passengers, on which we had previously sailed on in the British Isles.