Consumer Cellular International Roaming?

Alaskanb

• 1 month later...

I have used a Consumer Cellular t-mobile sim card with international roaming a couple of times - France 2017 and Ireland 2018.  When we landed, I just turned on my phone, saw a text message welcoming me, and all worked great.  In France I didn't even sign up for data, in Ireland I did.

Unfortunately there is almost no t-mobile signal at my home or office, so I switched back and forth from Consumer Cellular at&t sim cards, which was a bit of a hassle - at least as of August 2018 they didn't offer international roaming on their at&t sim's. 

If your Consumer Cellular sim is a t-mobile sim, or if t-mobile has decent coverage where you spend most of your time, it works great.  If you have to switch back and forth it could be a hassle, but still works.

• 2 years later...
On 3/8/2019 at 5:28 PM, babysteps said:

I have used a Consumer Cellular t-mobile sim card with international roaming a couple of times - France 2017 and Ireland 2018.  When we landed, I just turned on my phone, saw a text message welcoming me, and all worked great.  In France I didn't even sign up for data, in Ireland I did.

Unfortunately there is almost no t-mobile signal at my home or office, so I switched back and forth from Consumer Cellular at&t sim cards, which was a bit of a hassle - at least as of August 2018 they didn't offer international roaming on their at&t sim's. 

If your Consumer Cellular sim is a t-mobile sim, or if t-mobile has decent coverage where you spend most of your time, it works great.  If you have to switch back and forth it could be a hassle, but still works.

Sorry for replying to a two year old post- but does Consumer Cellular charge extra for the international roaming?  Also, is it an option with any of their plans, such as their cheapest monthly plan?

4 hours ago, mpk said:

Sorry for replying to a two year old post- but does Consumer Cellular charge extra for the international roaming?  Also, is it an option with any of their plans, such as their cheapest monthly plan?

np! iirc they didn't offer roaming with at&t (or it was $$$), there was no extra charge for T-mobile - but that was many years ago, I would check their FAQs or call (their customer service folks are usually very helpful)

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am unsure that my 3G flip phone is available for international calls.  My impression is that it is not.  

Odds are generally no, it is unlikely to work, especially if you are referring to one of those rather "old" historic "digital 3G" flip phone popularized 20 years ago and still fairly common up until 10 to 15 years ago - like the coming & going of the Blackberries & Windows Mobile OS - where "Motorola" were the benchmark for the rest, including Nokia, Samsung, LG, and HTC ... before iPhone's arrival. 

Was/is that based on CDMA or use a standard "sim" card or micro sim card - phones from that era worked on far fewer radio bands or frequency standards, and some of those - depending on where YOU are planning to travel, might've switched to newer 4G, LTE and even 5G technologies.

If you don't mind sharing, post your device's specific make/model info - can help you look it up, to where you plan to travel to.  BTW, you don't need to break the bank for the newest flagship devices to catch up - there are wide choices for certified, pre-owned like new devices at very affordable pricing tiers ... odds are good that you can find a compatible one of CV's online site.