2020 Holland America World Cruise

Oskeecruiser

• 4 weeks later...

We were on a good portion of the 2018 World Cruise and it was definitely worth the fare we paid. The staff, food, entertainment and itinerary were excellent. Captain Mercer is excellent and always kept us informed of what we were doing and gave us plenty of notice about any significant adverse weather we were going to encounter. We actually ran into a typhoon with 100 MPH wind gusts and he did an excellent job keeping us away from the brunt of the storm.

The 2020 WC is sold out so you would have to get on a waiting list. I'm sure several openings will occur as certain payment deadlines come up, just as they did for our WC.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, Oskeecruiser said:

Looking for anyone going on the 2020 Holland America World Cruise. We have some questions, mainly is this cruise worth it?

Are you asking if a world cruise is worth it or, specifically, if Holland America's world cruises are worth it.  Check out the World Cruise forum on CC.  Holland American as been doing world cruises for many years and know how to do it.  We were on the 2018 Grand Asia, and I can tell  you that they do a great job on these grand voyages.  Itineraries are excellent, and food and entertainment are a step up from the usual cruise.  

The fact that the world cruises are usually sold out a year in advance should tell you something.

I would say that a full World Cruise, or segments thereof, are absolutely worth it. They offer a travel experience unlike any other. The fact that the number of World Cruises, and the number of repeat World Cruisers, amongst many lines is increasing seems to support this. 

Seeing as how HAL seems to consistently sell out the current World Cruises on the Amsterdam, I have to wonder if they could do as well, or better with a Vista Class ship (specifically the Noordam as she has had the fewest number of alterations and is closest in feel to the S&R class vessels)? Would people abandon HAL for other lines of they did this?  Would certain ports that are popular with World Cruise guests have to be dropped?  I would think the availability of standard verandah rooms at a lower cost than the Vista Suites, along with the abundance of Signature/Neptunes would do well and the additional of an extra 300 cabins would help open more space for segment bookings, which can be highly profitable in their own right. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I would say that a full World Cruise, or segments thereof, are absolutely worth it. They offer a travel experience unlike any other. The fact that the number of World Cruises, and the number of repeat World Cruisers, amongst many lines is increasing seems to support this. 

Seeing as how HAL seems to consistently sell out the current World Cruises on the Amsterdam, I have to wonder if they could do as well, or better with a Vista Class ship (specifically the Noordam as she has had the fewest number of alterations and is closest in feel to the S&R class vessels)? Would people abandon HAL for other lines of they did this?  Would certain ports that are popular with World Cruise guests have to be dropped?  I would think the availability of standard verandah rooms at a lower cost than the Vista Suites, along with the abundance of Signature/Neptunes would do well and the additional of an extra 300 cabins would help open more space for segment bookings, which can be highly profitable in their own right. 

There goes the Bund in Shanghai, however.  

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Seeing as how HAL seems to consistently sell out the current World Cruises on the Amsterdam, I have to wonder if they could do as well, or better with a Vista Class ship (specifically the Noordam as she has had the fewest number of alterations and is closest in feel to the S&R class vessels)? Would people abandon HAL for other lines of they did this?  Would certain ports that are popular with World Cruise guests have to be dropped?  I would think the availability of standard verandah rooms at a lower cost than the Vista Suites, along with the abundance of Signature/Neptunes would do well and the additional of an extra 300 cabins would help open more space for segment bookings, which can be highly profitable in their own right

You are stating what I have long thought.  HAL has a tendency of using the same ships on the same itinerary year after year.  "Spicing" an itinerary up a bit with a different vessel would make a "same old, same old" itinerary more appealing.  Would they dare replace the Amsterdam on the world cruise?  I am sure that would be a subject for much discussion in Seattle.  She has a devoted following.  I do agree with your reasoning as to why it might make sense to use a Vista or Signature Class ship or maybe a Pinnacle Class ship on such a long cruise.

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

You bring up some good points. I have spoken with a few Future Cruise Consultants about the 2021 World Cruise. When I bring up Amsterdam deck plans, they have included a vague disclaimer about any given itinerary could be on any ship.....

At some point in time HAL will have to change to larger ships since all the small ships are 19 or more years old.  Cunard often has world voyages on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria which are roughly the size of the HAL Vista ships.  They offer lots of segments to fill up the ships.

• 10 months later...

Princess is doubling the capacity on it's world cruise for 2021.  With 10,000 baby boomers retiring every DAY someone is going to fill the need for them to complete their bucket lists(which for many include world cruises!)

The issue I think for Holland is that the crew (including officers)  on the Amsterdam are all screened and individually chosen for great past performance.  If you are not up to snuff then no world cruise for you.  As for whether it's worth it?  It's a personal choice.  The cabins are more expensive , per day, than other Holland cruises.  But then again most people spend less money on the ship (no one gets hammered every night like some do on a 7 day Caribbean cruise) and the amenities for grand voyages are better.  Most are experienced cruisers so they avoid much of the cruise line crap (photos, gold, jewelry, paintings, a tour in every port etc.) There are some advantages however...Miss a port due to weather?  Wine on the house for dinner.  Cabin gifts on your pillow every formal night.  You are just treated better....but you pay more for it because your ticket is not subsidized by others spending on the ship like drunken sailors.  I think that the crew has a bigger budget to make things right.  Mainline cruise ships have taken away the budget the crew used, to make mistakes more palpable.  I think the grand voyage officers still have a little leeway in compensating passengers for unfortunate situations.  (Room floods these days with sewage?  Main line....sorry.  Grand Voyage?  Sorry...here's a free dinner in the pinnacle grill for your inconvenience.)  I imagine that shipping food and what have you, around the world is more costly as is moving entertainment personel. Also lots of gas used up, on all the sailing only days. I think it's worth having a more civilized attitude towards passengers.  You may not agree.

Edited by T Tail

The Amsterdam would be a deterrent to me even considering a World Cruise on HAL.  A long cruise with no Tamarind or Sel de Mer, and very limited entertainment options, not to mention other bells and whistles the newer ships have.