Cruise Critic Community
DaveOKC

Google Fi network while on cruise

Someone posted a question on using the Google Fi network while on a cruise.  Just last week I got off a 2 week Panama Canal cruise and used it in a number of foreign ports, so I thought I would report my experience.  I am using a Nexus Android phone purchased through Google Fi (cost about $400 two years ago).  

As expected, no problems at all using it in the US (Los Angeles and Fort Lauderdale).  When onboard, I shut the phone off and put it in the safe, so not to accidentally use it while at sea (very expensive onboard rates).  While in ports (3 in Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Columbia and Guatemala) I turned the phone on while in my cabin and in about 2-3 minutes was connected to the Google Fi network.  Next, turned on the Mobile Data option.  Now I had complete access to the Internet to surf it, check my email, receive and send texts, etc. without a problem.  For the two weeks I used about .5 Gig, so I was charged $4.50 for my data usage.  I did not try to place a call, but supposedly it is only 10 cents a minute.  When done, I shut my phone off and placed it back in the safe.

My total bill for the month was $47.17 for TWO phones and includes the taxes.  You sure cannot beat that pricing IMO.  The Google Fi network primarily uses T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon, depending on signal strength (I am told).   Of course, you do have to provide your own phone.  Google Fi also only charges you for the ACTUAL data usage, with no minimums (some months I do not have a data charge and thus my bill is around $42 for 2 phones.

Edited by DaveOKC

FYI - You said you turned your phone off when you were out to sea.   Google Fi will NOT work at all while on the ship.  They evidently do not have an agreement with the company than runs the cell service on the ship.

I used Fi for a 49 day HAL Med Cruise in the fall of 2017 and it worked great in Europe - both cell and data.   The only country that had a problem was Malta.   

FYI - You said you turned your phone off when you were out to sea.   Google Fi will NOT work at all while on the ship.  They evidently do not have an agreement with the company than runs the cell service on the ship.

I used Fi for a 49 day HAL Med Cruise in the fall of 2017 and it worked great in Europe - both cell and data.   The only country that had a problem was Malta.   

Thanks for the report! I’ve just switched in the last month. We only have one international stop, but it’s the last day when shipboard internet grinds to a halt with so many trying to check in for flights and forgetting to turn off updates. Looking forward to using Fi in Mexico that day instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk