Thinking of simply hitting big pool at port..a cop out?

horatio123

Lots of pros and cons on this stop.  People recommend different beach clubs and resorts but when I  take in the pictures they don't look any more fantastic than some of the all inclusives around PDC we have been to.  So right now using the pool as our default choice.  Can you convince us otherwise?

Your $$,  your choice.

However, if you've never been to Costa Maya before, you do  need to see more than just the port area.

If Maya ruins tours don't excite you, then consider at least taking the tram, getting off at the first stop and walking along the malecon.  See what Mahaual looks like.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, crewsweeper said:

Your $$,  your choice.

However, if you've never been to Costa Maya before, you do  need to see more than just the port area.

If Maya ruins tours don't excite you, then consider at least taking the tram, getting off at the first stop and walking along the malecon.  See what Mahaual looks like.

explain the tram, is it something I can get on, and not get off, and just go back to port-DH not well, and cant walk long distances.

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

explain the tram, is it something I can get on, and not get off, and just go back to port-DH not well, and cant walk long distances.

The tram to Mahahual only runs one-way - you need to take a taxi back. I am not sure that you can stay on and ride back. (I thought it was due to union rules as it always seemed odd that the vehicle returned empty.) However i recently read that a similar vehicle is used as the transport to  the waterpark and i am assuming they use the same vehicle to return from there. I don’t know if anyone else has more information?

There is sometimes a tram that goes the length of the pier and back to access the port since the pier is quite long.

Edited by c-leg5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, horatio123 said:

Lots of pros and cons on this stop.  People recommend different beach clubs and resorts but when I  take in the pictures they don't look any more fantastic than some of the all inclusives around PDC we have been to.  So right now using the pool as our default choice.  Can you convince us otherwise?

I think Maya Chan is more unique then any of the commercialized beach clubs that you are used to.  I have been to beach clubs in Cozumel and it's nothing like it - not even close.  Way more private, intimate, personal, and relaxing in every way.  You have to experience it to understand.

I think the pool is a cop out.  I don't even get the point.  I'd rather just stay on the ship.  Every time we walk past that pool, we all just look at each other and kind of wonder "why?"

There is the water park in Costa Maya you may want to consider as well as some really highly rated tours.

What all inclusives in PDC have you been to and liked?  I'm always open to some new ideas and recommendations!

We have only been to PDC once, last November and stayed at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.  I recommend it.  Felt totally secure, fantastic staff, comfortable rooms, etc.  Food was good, not fantastic. 

As for Costa Maya, I hear you. The more we talk about it, the more we think we may stay on the ship.  In fact, generally our ports are not that thrilling.  Grand Cayman will be the best.  We are doing this for the cruise experience as it is new to hubby and I.  Can you believe it? Mid sixties and a big ship virgin.  Practising for our Italy cruise next May.

Maya Chan couldn't be more different than Grand Paraiso.  It's the opposite, really.  Very remote, private, small, and way more of a relaxed hang out vibe than "resort."  It's hard to explain until you've been there.  We specifically book western Caribbean cruises just to go to Costa Maya and visit Maya Chan.  It's insanely popular with Cruise Critic folks and there is nothing at all like it anywhere that I've seen.  You should give it a try.  It's got a solid 5 star Trip Advisor rating with 1500+ reviews, for a reaason. It's only $59/pp which includes transportation, drinks, REAL authentic Mexican food, water toys, and your own private palapa with hammock and day bed - basically everything but massages.  And the service is spectacular - they'll kayak out to you in the water to bring drinks.  Last time they even setup a makeshift floating bar out in the water.  I've taken lots of people there and every single one things it's one of the greatest places ever.  I'd be sad if I visited Costa Maya and stayed on the ship... heck, I stayed on at Grand Cayman because I think it's boring, lol.

I was just at the Costa Maya port last Tuesday.  The port pool looked very nice. You could enjoy the pool and people watch. But what caught my eye was a sandy beach area with lounge chairs immediately to the left of the pier as you walk in. It looked similar to a private beach club. You could not go into the water though because it was rocks. I asked on my way back to the ship if there was a charge to sit there and was told it was free. It looked really nice. So between the pool, that sand beach area, and an adult beverage, I think you will not miss much. Others I talked too went to a beach club and described it as just OK. Similar to how the pictures look.

On 2/20/2019 at 6:58 PM, BNBR said:

Maya Chan couldn't be more different than Grand Paraiso.  It's the opposite, really.  Very remote, private, small, and way more of a relaxed hang out vibe than "resort."  It's hard to explain until you've been there.  We specifically book western Caribbean cruises just to go to Costa Maya and visit Maya Chan.  It's insanely popular with Cruise Critic folks and there is nothing at all like it anywhere that I've seen.  You should give it a try.  It's got a solid 5 star Trip Advisor rating with 1500+ reviews, for a reaason. It's only $59/pp which includes transportation, drinks, REAL authentic Mexican food, water toys, and your own private palapa with hammock and day bed - basically everything but massages.  And the service is spectacular - they'll kayak out to you in the water to bring drinks.  Last time they even setup a makeshift floating bar out in the water.  I've taken lots of people there and every single one things it's one of the greatest places ever.  I'd be sad if I visited Costa Maya and stayed on the ship... heck, I stayed on at Grand Cayman because I think it's boring, lol.

WOW!  I just looked up Maya Chan, it looks amazing!  The only thing is the 30 minute ride to and from.  Also, If you want to leave early, is it a problem or do you have to leave a certain time so people can share a taxi?

6 hours ago, Mjasp said:

WOW!  I just looked up Maya Chan, it looks amazing!  The only thing is the 30 minute ride to and from.  Also, If you want to leave early, is it a problem or do you have to leave a certain time so people can share a taxi?

The staff will come around and ask you what time you want to leave so they can schedule your transportation. If you decide to leave a bit earlier, they will call a taxi for you earlier.  No rules or requirements to share a taxi.

The ride isn't that bad and if anything, you get a nice tour of the area. 

I like the idea of Maya Chan in theory. It sounds a lot like Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. However, the youtube videos we saw showed a beach that wasn't very pretty and they complained about the seaweed and the smell (presumably the smell of the seaweed) . Any info on that? 

The beaches is Costa maya can often be hit or miss. If clear waters is the most important thing to you, then Maya Chan could disappoint. They do get nice clear water sometimes too, though.  I've been there when the water wasn't nice at all and we still had an amazing time.  Just something to be aware of. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:42 AM, horatio123 said:

So right now using the pool as our default choice.  Can you convince us otherwise?

In my humble opinion, that pool at Costa Maya is nasty. Every time I’ve been there, the water is murky, and it gets murkier the more people that jump in the pool. 

I encourage you to put on your explorer hat and allow yourself to go beyond the welcome center.